“Excellent food, lovely atmosphere”
Review of Ard Bia at Nimmo's

Ard Bia at Nimmo's
Ranked #21 of 507 Restaurants in Galway
Cuisines: Irish, Seafood
Good for: Romantic, Special occasions, Local cuisine
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Breakfast, Lunch, Reservations
Description: One of Galway's most enduring restaurants, housed in one of the city's most iconic restaurant spaces, Ard Bia has always placed as much emphasis on community experiences and aesthetic stimulation as on serving great food in a fun environment. We believe in having roots in a place whilst having an identity that transcends location and takes inspiration from around the world.
Reviewed November 27, 2013 via mobile

I have eaten in are bia 3 times in the last 3 years. The quality of food is set at a very high level. I am usually not a big fan of fish, but in this place I love it. The decor is very nice and ensures you feel very cosy, the staff is very welcoming and seem to be enjoying their jobs as I keep seeing some familliar faces over the years. Whenever I am back in Galway I will make it a mission to go back to are bia nimmos.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,665)

Reviewed November 27, 2013

I was recommended as one of my possibilities for my dinner and what a great choice it was!!! I loved the decoration, completely different from all restaurants I've been. Just before I was served the food, my glass of red wine came and what a lovely choice it was, eager as I was for my meal, indeed started on the right foot. When the food arrived,it was simply superb. It's not a cheap place but it's well worth your money. I sincerely advice to try this little place. That's the place I would take a lady for a romantic dinner.

Reviewed November 25, 2013

We had lunch here last Sat and the food was delicious! Fennel, spinach & roast garlic soup.. the homemade bread is really gorgeous, the veggie breakfast was lovely too. Service was brilliant, gorgeous coffee and I love the restaurant space with all it's nooks & crannies.
We had dinner there last year too and it was delicious, really tasty and not too expensive.
All in all, definitely worth a visit when in Galway!

Reviewed November 19, 2013

This restaurant is a bit off-beat - shabby-chic vibe which is great if you are after a very relaxed night out. The service is a bit hit and miss - all very hipster-cool and reasonably swift, but more day-time cafe than evening fine-dining - 'you're sorted for carbs' is a new way to be told a dish doesn't need a side of spuds...at least I hope that wasn't an observation on my size! Our party of four each had really excellent main courses - all very clever flavour/ingredient combinations, and some really good fish. The puddings read really well - very on-trend in an Ottolenghi-ish rose-water, sumac and pistachio sort of way - but alas they weren't quite as full of exotic promise as we expected...

Reasonably good value, but no bargain price-wise. Worth a visit if you want a chilled out night and great mains. We would eat here again, but might just skip the dessert.

Reviewed November 13, 2013

Food good on first occasion, it was average for the next couple of visits. The staff were very friendly initially but were quite dismissive on other occasions. The delivery of food takes sometime, you can be left waiting up to twenty minutes. Its a tiny restaurant and its a lovely interior the only issue I would have it that a lot of mothers with huge buggies are cramped into the restaurant and it make it a very cramped space in which to eat in. It might be different at night but on one occasion there were four buggies at tables, this might be the target market at lunch time so its not really a relaxing space for business or office workers. The price is very good value for the food that is offered. The food is generally of high standard, but on certain days its like the end of the pot what is served. They serve good freshly made juices but do not strain the so there is a lot of pulp in the juices.