“Over rated and very Expensive”
Review of Ard Bia at Nimmo's

Ard Bia at Nimmo's
Ranked #10 of 496 Restaurants in Galway
Cuisines: Irish, Seafood
Good for: Romantic, Special occasions, Local cuisine
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Breakfast, Lunch, Reservations
Description: One of Galway's most enduring restaurants, housed in one of the city's most iconic restaurant spaces, Ard Bia has always placed as much emphasis on community experiences and aesthetic stimulation as on serving great food in a fun environment. We believe in having roots in a place whilst having an identity that transcends location and takes inspiration from around the world.
Reviewed August 15, 2013

My husband and I went to this restaurant for my birthday last month (July), the setting is very nice down by the water, we got a nice table by a window and looking out at the swans was lovely, the staff were good, However, the menu did not excited us at all, it was hard to choose from what was on it, poor selection and the prices were so expensive I just could not believe it, they did not have any soft drinks only fizzy water, so for 1 started (that was just ok) 2 main courses (so so) and 1 dessert (very small) with 1 beer and fizzy water, we paid €72.30, outrageous price for what we got, and it was only ok, not that testy!! We will not be returning and did feel very ripped off, and we are locals, can you imagine what the visitors think !!!!
Very disappointing and was looking so forward to it and after all it was my birthday !!!

Write a ReviewReviews (1,596)

Reviewed August 12, 2013

Second time here, this time we were seated upstairs. Equally as quirky as downstairs but much more room. The menu was very appealing, simple ingredients but great combinations. While the duck salad starter could have done with a tad more dressing, it was nice start to the meal. The lamb main course was excellent, perfect portion size. And the chocolate mousse dessert was the richest, most luscious I've had in a while. Staff could not have been friendlier, professional yet genuinely engaging with their customers. All in all, a very enjoyable evening.

Reviewed August 11, 2013

I had a lot of good meals in Galway, but this one was probably the best. The lamb was fantastic as well as the handmade hummus and pita as a starter. My wife had a very interesting goat cheese vegetarian dish and even as someone who doesn't prefer goat cheese myself, I thought it was pretty good. Get a reservation as we showed up at 8pm one night and the restaurant was booked for the evening so we came back the following night.

Reviewed August 10, 2013

I visited Árd Bia for the first time last weekend, following a recommendation from a friend. I have to say, it was the most lovely experience. From the setting (overlooking the sea/estuary), to the service, the music, the furniture and the vintage crockery, not to mind the beautiful food - it makes for a really special dining experience. I have been looking forward all week to making my return and I have just finished another beautiful brunch there.

There is something so homely and peaceful about Árd Bia. Their food is beautiful - fresh, healthy and prepared using the finest ingredients. Today I had smoked salmon, poached eggs and wilted spinach served on a potato cake. Simply perfect. Last week I enjoyed their granola with fruit compote and greek yogurt. Their granola is the most wonderful I have ever tasted - looted with toasted almonds and roasted hazelnuts. (I bought a tub to take home - you should too!)

Now that I have tried brunch, I cannot wait to try dinner! Trust me on this one, its definitely worth a try!

Reviewed August 5, 2013

On a torrentially rainy day, I stopped by Ard Bia for lunch. The chowder had a wonderful flavor, full of mussels and fish. The soda bread was a perfect complement to the chowder. The special kiwi and green apple juice was out-of-this-world tasty.
I couldn't resist the desserts. The white chocolate and rhubarb tart with whipped cream was truly divine, one of the best desserts I have tasted. If that wasn't enough, the leaf peppermint tea was perfect peppermint.
So I returned for dinner, after a day at Inis Oirr, looking hardly elegant, yet I was given a spot at the end of a large table with candle and flowers declaring my unique spot. The best gin and tonic ever! Hake in Chorizo, yummy. Dessert a perfect finish, gooseberry sorbet. And of course, the peppermint tea.
One major complaint is one of the wait staff at lunch, a lady. There were two ladies waiting. One was delightful, obviously trying to make a difference, considering the other was so rude. I love the Irish people, so I regret having to say that the Irish wait staff was very rude, most unusual for these people. I was almost going to return to speak to management about this person. If I was in charge, I would ask her to find another place to work.
Because all of the other wait staff were exceptional, I will not lower the rating.
This restaurant is wonderful.

1  Thank ElizabethofCarrick