“Excellent!”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Ard Bia at Nimmo's

Ard Bia at Nimmo's
Ranked #11 of 466 Restaurants in Galway
Cuisines: Seafood, Irish, European
Good for: Romantic, Special occasions, Local cuisine, Families with children, Scenic view
Dining options: Late Night, Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast, Brunch, Free Wifi, Highchairs Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Description: One of Galway's most enduring restaurants, housed in one of the city's most iconic restaurant spaces, Ard Bia has always placed as much emphasis on community experiences and aesthetic stimulation as on serving great food in a fun environment. We believe in having roots in a place whilst having an identity that transcends location and takes inspiration from around the world.
Boston
“Excellent!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 9, 2013 via mobile

I'm a huge fan of Tripadvisor using often, yet I've only placed one review. Having just returned from a great trip to Ireland I thought I'd do my part to contribute.....especially after seeing a few reviews of Ard Bia. My husband and I loved everything about our experience - we stopped in on Wednesday June 4th at 6pm and had a drink, meeting Diedre and Pierce working the bar and floor - great people, chatted with us and seamlessly hustled to service as guests arrived. We made reservations for 8:30 the next night- they were very busy, but we were seated promptly and had drinks and a menu within 10 min. The experience of your surroundings at this charming restaurant is huge - Waiting a few minutes for anything isn't an issue. The food was incredible to say the least - carrot soup special (my description would never do justice), line caught Hake that was outstanding. My husband had the dry aged sirloin - fantastic, and we had the wilted spinach and peas added to our dishes - so delicious! The wines were excellent, the staff was awesome - thank you Pierce and Diedre!! What a way to end a 2 week wonderful time in Ireland - a memorable excellent meal - at home, we love the best Boston has to offer and go out often - Ard Bia is right up there with the best. All I can say about the negatives I read- you just need to look around and appreciate the atmosphere - if you act like a muppet, you'll get treated like one no matter where you go. Can't wait to go back to Ard Bia!

Visited June 2013
1 Thank Patrinci

• Polish first
Galway
“Delicious food - but needs to be re-done”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 5, 2013

The food is superb, no doubt about it. The cheese plate there was one of the best things I have ever tasted. Divine. Couple of small things let it down: the bathrooms are too grotty, leave you feeling like the place is unclean, which is not what you want. Also, the staff are becoming famous for being pretentious and rude. I found them alright in general, but it is the thing that everyone says after they have eaten there, which is a shame!

• Visited March 2013
“Appalling snobby service and a 90 minute wait for food”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 31, 2013

This is an overhyped eatery. We booked a table for 8.30 and were seated upstairs at 9. A silly woman swanned around the place referring to everyone as 'darling' and in turn being referred to as darling. Our starter was served at 9,30 despite the fact that the we were in a somewhat empty space. Evidently the focus was on the ground floor of the establishment. No further contact was made with us until we corralled a waitress and asked for a bill as we were going to leave. 'Darling' floated past and I asked her what had happened to the food. She glared at me and kept going!
Our mains came at 10.30.
I think this place has a serious identity problem and I would recommend restaurant reviewers to return incognito and revisit their impressions of the place. I got the distinct impression that they were doing us a favour by having us in the place at all. Staff need to be retrained in dealing with the public. Oh and 'darling' needs to come down out of the clouds or her high horse whichever applies!

• Visited May 2013
3 Thank Garroon
ardbia, Manager at Ard Bia at Nimmo's, responded to this review, June 4, 2013
Hi Garoon

Our relationship with our customers; from locals to visitors, is always our number one priority so we were very sorry to see that you had a dissapointing experience in Ardbia.
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
“Nimmo's Rocks!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 30, 2013

So I'm continuing my travels around Ireland. I could barely leave Dublin because I was having so much fun but I'm so happy that I hit Galway. I love it here! And the best meal I've had so far was in Nimmo's last week. To start, I had the crab and the server told me it was local. You could tell! The taste was so fresh! Then I had the lamb rump - that was the nicest lamb I ever had. SOOOO much better than the lamb back home.
The service was slick but chilled. And the atmosphere is wicked. Check this place out!

• Visited May 2013
“Favorite restaurant EVER”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 27, 2013 via mobile

This is going down as my favorite restaurant ever... Absolutely loved everything about it! It is so cute and quaint and the food was fantastic. Right on the river, too. Amazing.

Visited May 2013