“Quaint”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of Ard Bia at Nimmo's

Ard Bia at Nimmo's
Ranked #11 of 466 Restaurants in Galway
Cuisines: Seafood, Irish, European
Good for: Families with children, Special occasions, Local cuisine, Scenic view, Romantic
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, Brunch, Late Night, Lunch, Free Wifi, Highchairs Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Description: One of Galway's most enduring restaurants, housed in one of the city's most iconic restaurant spaces, Ard Bia has always placed as much emphasis on community experiences and aesthetic stimulation as on serving great food in a fun environment. We believe in having roots in a place whilst having an identity that transcends location and takes inspiration from around the world.
Los Angeles, California
“Quaint”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 8, 2012

My family and I ate lunch here, without a reservation, around 1:00pm on a weekday. The isn't really a host that greets you, but we did find someone at the register who told us we could have a table in 15 minutes, so we waited in what lacks a waiting area and eventually were sat. The menu was fun and eclectic. I ordered their spicy burger and soup of the day (tomato) and enjoyed every bite. My other family members also enjoyed their dishes and we each split a number of desserts to finish it off.

Service was very slow. It was a very busy restaurant situated directly in tourist-central, so I was understanding and not rushed. I only wish they brought me my latte-to-go to my table. I had to hunt down my waiter and found my latte sitting by the register as if I was supposed to know to get it up front after ordering it at the table.

I'd gladly recommend this place for lunch.

• Visited September 2012

• Polish first
Galway
“Disappointing”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 3, 2012

Ard Bia is seen by many as a cultural and culinary institution in Galway. I dine out quite regularly and had yet to visit Ard Bia (I endeavored to do so on many occasions but for various reasons had not) so it was with anticipation that I recently visited.

Let's start on a positive, Ard Bia is in a pretty location and the cafe itself screams 'Galway' with its relaxed, cosy, hodge podge and funky attitude. Unfortunately the positivity of my experience stopped there. From the moment we walked in the door I could feel my levels of annoyance build. We were 'greeted' by a staff member with the kind of attitude one usually associates with a very different time and place. This attitude remained for most of the meal (we just had a main course and wine (not what I had requested but that is another story) and left immediately).

The menu is interesting, presentation is good but overpriced for the standard of food one gets. Our meals, the goat's cheese & lovage gnocchi and the plaice, were good but certainly not something I would quickly return for.

This was my one and only experience of Ard Bia and it was for dinner. I have some friends who go here on a regular basis for brunch/lunch and seem happy with it. Perhaps I will visit again but with great restaurants like Rouge, Oscar's Bistro, Cava and Aniar in town it may be a long time!

• Visited September 2012
“Don't miss it - but make reservations!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 1, 2012 via mobile

We were a party of 6 who found this wonderful place through TripAdvisor. We have absolutely nothing to complain about, the food was modern, quirky and delicious. The wine list was uncomplicated, yet nice.
As well, all food arrived at the same time, the service was impeccable. This could for sure become our local if we lived in Galway.

1 Thank toelin
Key West, Florida, United States
“Great Food in a Funky Spot”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 1, 2012

Ard Bia, "High Food" in Irish definitely lived up to its name. The food was almost intoxicatingly good though they do pack you in to the funky little place. We tried some seafood for apps, being in a port town, crab and smoked trout for her and mackerel for me, both excellent and accompanied well, and for mains, grenard for her and steak for me, again fantastic. The selection of local beers were fun to sample and the blackberry prosecco, on special was excellent as well. I will say that the servers were a bit overworked so the table service wasn't very prompt of personal, and if you are an overlarge person, the tight spaces may make you feel a bit cramped throughout your meal. BUT, if you dont mind being a bit sqeeed to get great food, be sure to check this place out while you are in Galway. Oh, and a reservation is recommended.

• Visited October 2012
Carrollton, Texas
“Forgot one thing”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 29, 2012

I had high hopes for this place. Sounded really great in all the reviews. Pictures online looked appealing. Recommended by our B&B owner and it was about 100 feet from our B&B's front door right under the Spanish Arch. Walked in and it was just as homey and quaint as the pictures. Our waitress was kind of grumpy (must have imported her, never saw another grumpy person in Ireland). On the bookshelf behind me was a cookbook by the chefs of the restaraunt. I thought that must be a good sign, right? The menu was quite limited. The choices offered looke healthy.....almost too healthy. Uh oh. Now I like to eat a healthy diet and exercise and look both ways before crossing the street. But here's the thing about food: that's great that it's low fat , organic, lot's of fiber - DON"T FORGET TO MAKE IT TASTE GOOD!!! They forgot. I had a smoked fish and crab sandwhich. I ate about half of it and that was it. I was hungry too. Ate some of my wife's soup (butternut squash or somesuch) - very pedestrian. And not cheap other. Fifteen Euro for a small dry sandwhich? Maybe it was a just a bad selection that day, but I'll never know. There are too many better places!

Visited September 2012