“Delightful meal, delightful view”
Review of Ard Bia at Nimmo's

Ard Bia at Nimmo's
Ranked #10 of 487 Restaurants in Galway
Cuisines: Irish, Seafood
Good for: Romantic, Local cuisine, Special occasions
Dining options: Late Night, Lunch, Breakfast, Dinner, Reservations
Description: One of Galway's most enduring restaurants, housed in one of the city's most iconic restaurant spaces, Ard Bia has always placed as much emphasis on community experiences and aesthetic stimulation as on serving great food in a fun environment. We believe in having roots in a place whilst having an identity that transcends location and takes inspiration from around the world.
Reviewed June 12, 2011

Seated with a view of Galway harbor just before sunset. The hake was delicious and a nice selection of wines. Ingredients were local. Excellent service.

There are newer reviews for Ard Bia at Nimmo's

Reviewed May 30, 2011

From the minute we walked in the door, I was giving it 10/10. the atmosphere, rustic surroundings & staff was 100%. We got a wonderful window table over looking the Claddagh. Our waitress was so friendly and helpful. We had some wonderful bread selection with oil and a nuts & seeds mix while we browsed through the Menu. We had steak & Hake. The Steak was ordered medium and was well done & tough, the Hake had too much oil on it and the potatoes, thats why I only gave the food 3 out of 5. We had fab bottle of wine and selection of cheese for afters. You have got to buy the brown bread, you will never taste anything like it!! Although we have had nicer meals in Galway, I will defo give it a second chance.

1  Thank SunnyWestGalway
Reviewed May 29, 2011

First off, this place is also referred to Nimmos, pronounced Nemo's.

We went on a Saturday, and I definitely recommend a reservation. They squeezed us in, but not easily, and we were by the door. The service was a bit slow, but it was nice to fine a fine dining establishment in Ireland and have something beyond regular Irish food. Some examples of the quality is that there was oil and some special spice mixture to dip the food in and they actually had Irish micro-brews instead of the usual Guinness and the like.

My mother had the mussels as an appetizer. It was a huge portion for one person and could easily be a meal.

Reviewed May 22, 2011

We arrived at 7:30 on a fri evening and expected to have to wait for a table. We were rudely informed that they had nothing and there would be nothing until 9:30pm. Fine - we put in our name and returned at 9:15 for our 9:30 reservation. The blonde manager who patronizingly calls everyone "darling" in a rude tone of voice says and I quote "we will have your table at 9:30 and not before". And tells us to wait at the bar. We should have walked out at this point, but we were starving and had already waited, so we stayed. At 9:50 we were seated after she plonked us down at the upstairs bar and no one would take our drink order. We ordered an appetiser which was average and the remainder of our food did not arrive for over an hour after we were finished with the first course. During this time we could hear the manager making rude remarks about us to the other staff and laughing about it. We were basically ignored for almost 1 and a half hours. Had to flag people down for water, bread, drink refills.no one apologized for the wait and "darling" continued to roll her eyes at us and act rudely every time we asked for anything at all. When she bothered to even acknowledge us, that is. It was as if we didn't exist. We considered walking out again at this point since all staff were completely ignoring us, but as we were completely starving, we stayed! I asked for a salad to be added on and was told my meal comes with vegetables, so why would I want that? I'm sorry - but why are you questioning my order? Finally we received our food which was very sub par copnsidering all the reviews about this place. My husband who has never ever not left gratuity in all the years I have known him refused to leave a tip. Save your money. There are better restaurants in galway. This was one of our worst dining experiences.

4  Thank nisras
Reviewed May 21, 2011

Went to Ard Bia last night with my dad and we were VERY disappointed. We are on holiday and were looking for a nice meal in Galway City. Read all of the reviews on this restaurant and they sounded pretty good. However, that was not the case. The service was very poor. We had to wait a very long time for our meal and not once did the waiter offer to bring us a glass of water or even asked if we'd like any. Once we finally got our meal, the waiter never once came by to ask how it was or if we needed anything else. I also felt back for the couple next to us. They waited even longer than us for their meal ( over an hour ) and they were visibily disappointed. The food was not so good either. I ordered the Ribeye steak..to be cooked medium. It was very well done and did not taste good. My dad ordered the trout and it was very fishey tasking and also not good. Overall, this was not a good dining experience...which is frustrating because we were looking for nice meal...and it was also expensive. I WOULD NOT GO BACK TO THIS RESTAURANT.

2  Thank SDTRAVELLERDAVE