“Delicious soup on a wintery afternoon in Moycullen”

White Gables Restaurant
Ranked #43 of 488 Restaurants in Galway
Cuisines: Irish, Seafood
Good for: Local cuisine, Special occasions, Romantic
Dining options: Late Night, Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast, Reservations
Description: Serving the Galway community for over twenty years, White Gables specialises in traditional cooking with a modern flair. Visitors to this atmospheric restaurant are guaranteed the greatest experience in every way: service, comfort, hospitality and plenty of good classically cooked sumptuous food. Mains include grilled rib-eye steak with pepper sauce, or, one of the most popular dishes on the menu, traditional lip-smacking crispy roast half duckling with orange sauce. Fish is also a speciality here with timeless classics featuring such as, Sole on the Bone, Scallops Mornay and many other favourites, depending on market availability. Wines are hand-picked by Ann herself with choices to suit every pocket, and a great selection of half bottles too. Prices are matched to suit all budgets. A set menu is available every evening, with plenty of choice and two courses cost just €30 per person, with four courses at €38 per person. A la Carte dining is also an option. Located in Moycullen, 8km from Galway, White Gables Restaurant , Enjoy…from White Gables food shop and Enjoy…More cafe were established by Anne and Kevin Dunne, in a cottage dating back to the 1920s. White Gables is recommended by Good Food Ireland, Bridgestone Guides, Georgina Campbell’s Ireland and Lucinda O’Sullivan’s Little Black Book.
Reviewed March 21, 2013

Driving back from Oughterard this afternoon was rather miserable with the driving wind and rain. I decided to stop in to the White Gables Coffee shop for lunch. There is a delightful little shop with a cosy coffee shop next door. Shelves of delicious freshly made breads, cakes and scones looked delicious and very tempting. I walked through into the coffee shop/tea rooms which is very pretty with a very pleasing, calming decor and such a lovely welcome from staff. I ordered the vegetable soup which was served in a colourful bowl with 2 slices of delicious fresh homemade brown bread. There were tasteful extras and attention to detail everywhere I looked. A lacey doyley on the serving plate;a colourful, richly decorated serviette; colourful crockery; wonderfully decorated cupcakes and cakes in a glass display case at the til. Despite there being only one girl on the counter/til she was very pleasant, efficient and provided a very fast service. After the delicious soup I decided to add the White Gables to my hot chocolate quest and got a hot chocolate 'to go'. It was presented nicely with little marshmallows and nice frothy top. However, it had a rather weak consistency which I did not enjoy. I would grade it 4/10. I will definately recommend the White Gables Coffee Shop to my friends and I will visit again for lunch. The attached White Gables Restaurant is one of my top restaurants in Galway. Ann is such a professional and the food and service excellent. A 'must visit' restaurant to all of you who have not had the pleasure of visiting the White Gables Restaurant in Moycullen. :-))

Ann-Dunne-WG, Owner at White Gables Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded April 3, 2013

Maria, you have taken a lot of time to review your experience with us recently and for that we are truly thankful.

I have noted your point on the hot chocolate, and will look into it immediately. Continuous improvement is what we aim for, and by you pointing out this issue it helps is strive for excellence in our product.

Thanks again - Ann

Reviewed March 18, 2013

Do not know how Ann never fails to get 5 Stars for the meals served at White Gables. Was there last night and it was superb. Excellent selection of Starters, Mains and Deserts and all for €38.50. The Duck and Lemon Sole were out of this world. White Gables never fails to satisfy and great value for money. Gerry Dublin

Ann-Dunne-WG, Owner at White Gables Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded March 22, 2013

Gerry ,
Thank you for this great review!
Look forward to seeing you both when next in the West !
-Ann

Reviewed March 5, 2013

Great food always, staff highly trained to give a great experience. Never had a bad meal in 15 years

1  Thank Garry M
Ann-Dunne-WG, Owner at White Gables Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded March 12, 2013

There you go.. you should work on our marketing team!
Thank you for the review, we all appreciate it.
Come back soon - Ann

Reviewed February 26, 2013

We went here with my wife's family to celebrate our engagement. Every time I now pass the restaurant on the way to playing golf I want to go in and re-visit the lovely dinner we had. Really good food, wine and service. Will defo have to plan another trip back here soon.

Remembering an experience in a restaurant after almost 12 months of visiting, is testament to how good, or bad, that encounter was. Thankfully for us, in your case the event was one that you want to repeat.

But why are you taking so long? Especially when you pass so often!

Go on, make that detour and bring your wife back to celebrate all over again!
Looking forward to welcoming you back, and thanks for the review.
-Ann

Reviewed February 24, 2013

Well yet another great visit to the white gables and it always is such a great night with a wonderful atmosphere with delicious food. We enjoyed 2 courses for 30euro from the set menu last weekend. My husband and I shared the Brie with the most amazing Ginger girls Cranberry Chutney, yum. Just the right filling before our mains which we were most looking forward to. My hubby had the Roast Half Duckling which I can guarantee he did not leave any behind. I loved the Grilled Chicken with James McGeoughs (if i remember right) Smoked Black Pudding & creamy Scallion mash – yum yum!
To finish I had the warm chocolate pudding which I quickly decided was too good to share ! I have to say we had a wonderful meal in beautiful relaxed surroundings & with 10% off wines where else would you get it!
For under 75.00 the best value and since going out for a meal is a treat these days that makes all the difference.

Ann-Dunne-WG, Owner at White Gables Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded February 27, 2013

Thank you for reviewing our restaurant on this site.
We appreciate the efforts our customers go to when visiting a site and taking the time to put into words the experience they have had with us.

Your comments and enthusiasm for what we do is encouraging to us, that despite this recession, we can still provide value for money and an great experience too.

Come back soon – we are running this promotion until the end of March!
- Ann