“Well worth the trip”

Ranked #43 of 487 Restaurants in Galway
Cuisines: Irish, Seafood
Good for: Local cuisine, Special occasions, Romantic
Dining options: Late Night, Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast, Reservations
Description: Serving the Galway community for over twenty years, White Gables specialises in traditional cooking with a modern flair. Visitors to this atmospheric restaurant are guaranteed the greatest experience in every way: service, comfort, hospitality and plenty of good classically cooked sumptuous food. Mains include grilled rib-eye steak with pepper sauce, or, one of the most popular dishes on the menu, traditional lip-smacking crispy roast half duckling with orange sauce. Fish is also a speciality here with timeless classics featuring such as, Sole on the Bone, Scallops Mornay and many other favourites, depending on market availability. Wines are hand-picked by Ann herself with choices to suit every pocket, and a great selection of half bottles too. Prices are matched to suit all budgets. A set menu is available every evening, with plenty of choice and two courses cost just €30 per person, with four courses at €38 per person. A la Carte dining is also an option. Located in Moycullen, 8km from Galway, White Gables Restaurant , Enjoy…from White Gables food shop and Enjoy…More cafe were established by Anne and Kevin Dunne, in a cottage dating back to the 1920s. White Gables is recommended by Good Food Ireland, Bridgestone Guides, Georgina Campbell’s Ireland and Lucinda O’Sullivan’s Little Black Book.
Reviewed February 26, 2013

We went here with my wife's family to celebrate our engagement. Every time I now pass the restaurant on the way to playing golf I want to go in and re-visit the lovely dinner we had. Really good food, wine and service. Will defo have to plan another trip back here soon.

Ann-Dunne-WG, Owner at White Gables Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded March 12, 2013

Remembering an experience in a restaurant after almost 12 months of visiting, is testament to how good, or bad, that encounter was. Thankfully for us, in your case the event was one that you want to repeat.

But why are you taking so long? Especially when you pass so often!

Go on, make that detour and bring your wife back to celebrate all over again!
Looking forward to welcoming you back, and thanks for the review.
-Ann

There are newer reviews for White Gables Restaurant

Reviewed February 24, 2013

Well yet another great visit to the white gables and it always is such a great night with a wonderful atmosphere with delicious food. We enjoyed 2 courses for 30euro from the set menu last weekend. My husband and I shared the Brie with the most amazing Ginger girls Cranberry Chutney, yum. Just the right filling before our mains which we were most looking forward to. My hubby had the Roast Half Duckling which I can guarantee he did not leave any behind. I loved the Grilled Chicken with James McGeoughs (if i remember right) Smoked Black Pudding & creamy Scallion mash – yum yum!
To finish I had the warm chocolate pudding which I quickly decided was too good to share ! I have to say we had a wonderful meal in beautiful relaxed surroundings & with 10% off wines where else would you get it!
For under 75.00 the best value and since going out for a meal is a treat these days that makes all the difference.

Ann-Dunne-WG, Owner at White Gables Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded February 27, 2013

Thank you for reviewing our restaurant on this site.
We appreciate the efforts our customers go to when visiting a site and taking the time to put into words the experience they have had with us.

Your comments and enthusiasm for what we do is encouraging to us, that despite this recession, we can still provide value for money and an great experience too.

Come back soon – we are running this promotion until the end of March!
- Ann

Reviewed February 17, 2013

This is by far our favourate restaurant in Galway for Sunday Lunch. The White Gables closes each year from Christmas to Valentines for management and staff annual holidays. The remainder of the year like a lot of other regulars we take this high quality restaurant for granted. We know that the proprietor will greet us with a smile and stop off at our table for a chat. We know the food is always excellent, and the menu will change with the seasons. Unfortunately we forget to say thank you often enough, so apologies to Anne & Kevin. If you have not dined in this restaurant for dinner or sunday lunch then get on the phone and make a reservation and you will not be disappointed. There is also a really nice cafe attached operated by the same family and a shop providing take out food / wine so all demands are catered for at the Whie Gables.

Ann-Dunne-WG, Owner at White Gables Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded February 22, 2013

The mere fact that you keep coming back, is a testament to how you feel about our restaurant, and the efforts we make here.

It’s our turn to say “Thank You”, for such a wonderful review, for taking the time to post it here, and for having consistent faith in what we deliver.

-Ann

Reviewed December 11, 2012

My family and I had lunch at WhiteGables on Sunday 9th December. It was difficult to get a table which is always a good sign in any restaurant however the manager was very friendly and accommodating and we we eventually successful. The standard luch menu for three courses runs to 27.50euro which may seem expensive compared with other venues however it was more than worth it. Certain items on the list carry an additional cover such as the Half Roast Duck which was 10 euro extra bringing that particular lunch to 37.50.Overall the food was excellent, service was friendly and extremely helpful. It was a pleasant surprise to be asked how I liked my roast beef cooked- usually it is a case of take it as it is. The total bill for four came to approximately 125 euro . I fully intend trying this again for Dinner however my advice in the interim would be to reserve this one for a special occasion and to book well in advance.

Ann-Dunne-WG, Owner at White Gables Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded December 21, 2012

Thank you for your review. We are delighted that you enjoyed your visit to White Gables!

Please do come for Dinner, and make yourself known to me when you are here!

Remember we are closed until February 13th 2013!

Ann.

Reviewed December 11, 2012

The food here is fabulous. This has to be one of my favourite restaurants in Galway, the quality of the food is just perfect and the staff are always very friendly. I couldn't recommend the White Gables enough. It's worth every penny.

Delighted we are on your favorite list!

Hope to see you in 2013.