Tara House
$161
$199
$193
$167
The Connacht Hotel(Galway)(Great Value!)
$150
$141
Hotels.com
Sea-Breeze Lodge(Galway)
$296
$161
Menlo Park Hotel(Galway)(Great Value!)
$177
$162
Hotels.com
Clayton Hotel Galway(Galway)(Great Value!)
$155
$145
$269
$237
  • Pool
All reviewsbus stop rightexcellent wifiminute walk to galwayhome from homeyogurtthe location is perfecttwo nightsannasalthillhostessireland
Reviewed July 16, 2012

I’ve made three trips to Ireland over the past six years and I’ve begun and ended each at Tara House, in Lower Salthill, Galway, with Anna and Michael Doherty. I don’t go there for a room with a view (though the rooms are always fresh and clean and inviting and only a block from the sea), or for the amenities like internet, TV, and a good shower (which are there), or because it is an easy, beautiful walk to the center of the City. I return to Tara House because it feels like Ireland. In the dining room at breakfast, Michael serves the tea and coffee and chats with the guests. His easy manner invites conversation and often the room is filled with stories, banter, and laughter. All the while, Anna keeps the food orders straight, the plates filled, and attends to individual guests with a personal comment that shows she has paid attention to them. Together, they seem to love welcoming people to their home and to their country. When I first visited Tara House I was cycling alone, in mostly rainy weather, and when I left Anna saw me off with well wishes, offered me a jacket, and instructed me to “Call if anything happens and we will come get you.” That genuine care about people is what brings me back again and again. It is the soul of Ireland and of Tara House.
Martha Horn, Cranston, RI USA

Room Tip: I've stayed in many and they are all great.
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled solo
2  Thank Martha H
Reviewed April 27, 2012

I've always thought that the best part of visiting Ireland was what I call the B&B experience. More than just a bed for the night and a meal in the morning. But being made welcome and to feel that you were visiting old friends. And feeling reluctant to leave. So if you want that experience, this is certainly the place to visit.
Walk to shops and restaurants.

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank jal2386
Reviewed October 22, 2011

In the Salthill area with bus stop outside. Not too far from town and within easy walking distance of pubs and eatieries of Salthill. We stayed in a spacious diouble room with good-sized ensuite. Anna, our hostess, was extremely helpful and friendly.

Stayed: October 2011, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Jennifer L
Reviewed August 4, 2011

Tara House is about a twenty minute walk from the centre of Galway - easily manageable even after a couple of pints of the black stuff! It's also a five minute walk from the shops and restaurants of Salthill, which was very convenient after a long and tiring day being on holiday. According to Trip Advisor, Salthill's Lohan's and the Gourmet Tart Co. are two of the best places to eat out in Galway.

Anna and Michael, who own Tara House, are just the nicest people you could ever hope to stay with and very helpful with hints for what to do and see. Breakfast is flexible and delicious. Apart from the usual Irish breakfast, we munched happily on cereals, fruit, yoghurts, soda bread, toast and porridge. We had a pleasant and comfortable room at the front of the house. We went at the end of race week, so there was a bit of noise at odd hours, but it wasn't too disturbing. Parking was no problem, as there's room for eight cars in the carpark.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled as a couple
2  Thank T_L_Atkinson
Reviewed November 5, 2010

Tara House is located in Salthill area which is a popular waterside suburb on Galway Bay. This is a bit out of town but a bus pulls in right outside the front door. Anna greeted us and has a lovely personality being friendly, happy, jovial, extremely helpful looking up directions etc and she was quite happy to cook the hot meal however we wanted it. Michael, chats in the dining room and it is a nice change to being just waited on. We got some very enjoyable and interesting titbits from Michael. He did help out bringing us coffee/tea etc. The bedroom was very comfortable and even though we were on a busy street we heard nothing.
Salthill has some restaurants, two casinos and plenty of waterside apartments and a few resorts. It was a long weekend and parking was just impossible and so the proximity to the waterfront from the B & B was very convenient and about a 5 mins walk.
Go into the little old pub there also just for a drink to take in all the paraphenalia. Interesting!
It was pouring rain when we arrived and Anna took me in her car and dropped me off in town with all the shopping directions and where to get a cab back. She was so thoughtful.
This B & B stands out to me, even though breakfast was great and the room comfortable, mainly for the great interest the couple take in their clientele. I left there with a smile on my face!

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled as a couple