“very good value”
Review of Dun Aoibhinn House

Dun Aoibhinn House
Ranked #173 of 189 Galway B&B and Inns
Reviewed June 5, 2012

Clean, close to town, good parking, excellent breakfast. Jim very friendly and helpful - loads of local tips. Caroline who does the breakfast etc likewise very helpful and friendly. We stayed for 4 nights, our friends 3 nights and all enjoyed our stay very much. Useful tip! If you wish to leave in the morning pay up the night before. It's not being unfair to Jim to suggest he's not an early riser!

Room Tip: Small doubles are small (exactly as the name suggests) two people my like to consider the larger dou...
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled with friends

Reviewed March 2, 2012

My boyfriend and I had a great stay at Dun Aoibhinn House in December 2011. Jim, the owner, has been doing lots of renovations on the place, bringing the place up to date. We stayed on the ground floor in a very clean and modern room- flat screen TV, updated bathroom (I am a real stickler for a clean bathroom and it was spotless), comfortable large bed. Jim is a great guy- very friendly and has valuable knowledge of the city. We had studied at the University a couple years prior and know the city well, and yet he still gave us great tips about those hidden gems that have the best Guinness around and live jazz. Definitely take the time to chat with him, he's awesome. We also just chose to have some cereal at the B&B one morning, then ate in town for breakfast all the other days, so Jim was nice enough to knock some money off our bill. Very fair, and something you'd never find in the U.S. :)

If you aren't familiar with Galway, just note that it is more like a 10-15 min walk to town, but a very lovely walk at that. Dun Aoibhinn is a bit removed from the hustle and bustle in a safe/residential area.

Can't wait to see the house completed with renovations! We will definitely be back!

• Stayed: December 2011, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Meaghan M
Reviewed August 16, 2011

I had a bad experience
I checked in after 10 on a Sunday night. I was told breakfast will start at 08:30. I had an appointment at 08:15 the following morning. I had to ask if it would be possible to help myself to some cereal. I was again told that 08:15 would be the earliest possible time for the cooked breakfast. I asked how long would it take me to get to NUIG and was told 10mins. Their website info said 5min.
The shower was in the corner of the room and it took me 5mins to get it to stay on due to a faulty button.
The taps on the vanity sink were not connected right and i discovered this when i realised i was washing my teeth with warm water.
Work had been carried out on the room to replace a small window and the job had not been finished.
When I got up in the morning I realised there was no mirror in the room. I found a chrome waste bin and had to try and see my reflection in a grubby bin.
the TV mounted at 7ft was too high to comfortable view.
The bed had no headboard and as the bed was too large for the space it was not flush against the wall. Result was it was quite difficult to retain the pillows on the bed.

This room should of never been sold to me and was a total rip off at 50euro.

Room Tip: dont get the single room
  • Stayed: August 2011, traveled solo
Reviewed May 29, 2011

Jim was friendly. We hadnt read any review just picked it out of the blue. He has spent heaps of money upgrading and so thos previous reviews from a few years ago may have been correct but things have changed. A big plasma TV and fridge in your room. He offered to dry clothes we had washed. Jim couldn't do enough for us.

• Stayed: May 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 21, 2010

Located in a quiet neighborhood a pleasant short walk to city center. James is very friendly and helpful. We showed up without reservations having found it in the Lonely Planet Guide. Stayed in the nice room pictured in the ad so I can't comment on the other rooms. Our room was very comfortable with private bathroom. For the price and location I would recommend it.

*Fast WiFi

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 16, 2010

Location is great about 5 minutes walk from the city. The service was fantastic, Breakfast were great with lots of choice including home made pancakes, YUM! The room was clean and comfortable with facilities to make tea or coffee with all being provided. A great deal of effort has been made for the extra comforts including having many choices of different teas, bottled water and a variety of breakfast cereals etc available.
The staff were extremely welcoming, friendly and helpful

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled solo
1  Thank Kiwiclaire
Reviewed October 11, 2010

I stayed in the twin room (which actually has a double bed & a bunk bed) with a friend, I was concerned after reading afew bad reviews but i was relieved to find that the room was clean & comfortable, the location is excellent, just 5mins walk from city centre, The proprietor was welcoming but not overbearing, breakfast was excellent - we even had fresh home made pancakes & the service was really relaxed & friendly, Possible Downsides: It's not sound proof from room to room, we could hear people walking upstairs, it wasn't a problem but if you are looking for somewhere particularly private ;) then this may not be the place for you. Overall, this b n b is really great value for money, it's cheaper than getting a twin room in a hostel, we enjoyed our stay & will stay there again,

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled with friends