“Great!” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #180 of 197 Galway B&B and Inns
New York, New York, United States
“Great!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 2, 2012

My boyfriend and I had a great stay at Dun Aoibhinn House in December 2011. Jim, the owner, has been doing lots of renovations on the place, bringing the place up to date. We stayed on the ground floor in a very clean and modern room- flat screen TV, updated bathroom (I am a real stickler for a clean bathroom and it was spotless), comfortable large bed. Jim is a great guy- very friendly and has valuable knowledge of the city. We had studied at the University a couple years prior and know the city well, and yet he still gave us great tips about those hidden gems that have the best Guinness around and live jazz. Definitely take the time to chat with him, he's awesome. We also just chose to have some cereal at the B&B one morning, then ate in town for breakfast all the other days, so Jim was nice enough to knock some money off our bill. Very fair, and something you'd never find in the U.S. :)

If you aren't familiar with Galway, just note that it is more like a 10-15 min walk to town, but a very lovely walk at that. Dun Aoibhinn is a bit removed from the hustle and bustle in a safe/residential area.

Can't wait to see the house completed with renovations! We will definitely be back!

• Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Meaghan M

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
Dublin, Ireland
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 16, 2011

I had a bad experience
I checked in after 10 on a Sunday night. I was told breakfast will start at 08:30. I had an appointment at 08:15 the following morning. I had to ask if it would be possible to help myself to some cereal. I was again told that 08:15 would be the earliest possible time for the cooked breakfast. I asked how long would it take me to get to NUIG and was told 10mins. Their website info said 5min.
The shower was in the corner of the room and it took me 5mins to get it to stay on due to a faulty button.
The taps on the vanity sink were not connected right and i discovered this when i realised i was washing my teeth with warm water.
Work had been carried out on the room to replace a small window and the job had not been finished.
When I got up in the morning I realised there was no mirror in the room. I found a chrome waste bin and had to try and see my reflection in a grubby bin.
the TV mounted at 7ft was too high to comfortable view.
The bed had no headboard and as the bed was too large for the space it was not flush against the wall. Result was it was quite difficult to retain the pillows on the bed.

This room should of never been sold to me and was a total rip off at 50euro.

Room Tip: dont get the single room
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled solo
    • 1 of 5 bubbles

Travelers are raving about these Galway hotels

Melbourne, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 29, 2011

Jim was friendly. We hadnt read any review just picked it out of the blue. He has spent heaps of money upgrading and so thos previous reviews from a few years ago may have been correct but things have changed. A big plasma TV and fridge in your room. He offered to dry clothes we had washed. Jim couldn't do enough for us.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple
Washington DC, District of Columbia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 21, 2010

Located in a quiet neighborhood a pleasant short walk to city center. James is very friendly and helpful. We showed up without reservations having found it in the Lonely Planet Guide. Stayed in the nice room pictured in the ad so I can't comment on the other rooms. Our room was very comfortable with private bathroom. For the price and location I would recommend it.

*Fast WiFi

• Stayed October 2010, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Dublin, Ireland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 16, 2010

Location is great about 5 minutes walk from the city. The service was fantastic, Breakfast were great with lots of choice including home made pancakes, YUM! The room was clean and comfortable with facilities to make tea or coffee with all being provided. A great deal of effort has been made for the extra comforts including having many choices of different teas, bottled water and a variety of breakfast cereals etc available.
The staff were extremely welcoming, friendly and helpful

• Stayed October 2010, traveled solo
1 Thank Kiwiclaire
Galveston Island, Texas
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 11, 2010

I stayed in the twin room (which actually has a double bed & a bunk bed) with a friend, I was concerned after reading afew bad reviews but i was relieved to find that the room was clean & comfortable, the location is excellent, just 5mins walk from city centre, The proprietor was welcoming but not overbearing, breakfast was excellent - we even had fresh home made pancakes & the service was really relaxed & friendly, Possible Downsides: It's not sound proof from room to room, we could hear people walking upstairs, it wasn't a problem but if you are looking for somewhere particularly private ;) then this may not be the place for you. Overall, this b n b is really great value for money, it's cheaper than getting a twin room in a hostel, we enjoyed our stay & will stay there again,

• Stayed October 2010, traveled with friends
Boston, MA
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 9, 2010

I booked a room here for two nights for 2 adults - my Mother and I. I had to pre-pay the entire cost of the room before arrival which seemed odd but we were pressed for time to make other arrangements. We arrived and I believe we were the only people staying at this place. The host was odd and he was not professional in his appearance or manner. He showed us to our room which was dark and not clean. It did have a new TV as advertised but the cable wires were hanging across the wall. The entire house stunk of cigarette smoke and was cluttered and messy. The bathroom, advertised as very close, was upstairs on a different floor. There was no breakfast but were packages of crackers and biscuits and bottled water.

The house is located in a quieter neighborhood, about a 15 walk from Galway centre. It was a bit difficult to find the house by car but was easy to park on the street and handy enough to walk around.

We spent 20 minutes in the room and could not fathom spending 2 nights in this place. I went to speak with him in the living room where he was ironing clothes and told him that the room and house were not at all as advertised and we would only stay the night but not could not stay for 2 nights. I asked for a refund for the 2nd night and he refused. His reason for not giving me a refund was that he had a mortgage to pay. I was quite shocked at his resistance but we decided that leaving a night early was worth it to get out of there!

We left the next morning and he was nowhere to be found. Our first stop was the tourist office where I filed a written complaint with Failte Ireland. I received a letter from Failte Ireland several weeks later which stated that Dun Aoibhinn House was not approved by the Irish Tourist Board.

I cannot understand how this place has received several positive reviews. I am a frequent international traveler and this was one of the worst accommodation experiences I have ever had.

• Stayed June 2009