The Herons Rest Boutique Bed & Breakfast
$128
$123
Hotels.com
  • Restaurant
Westwood House Hotel(Dangan)(Great Value!)
$73
The Connacht Hotel(Galway)(Great Value!)
$104
$100
Hotels.com
$129
Agoda.com
  • Restaurant
Flannery's Hotel Galway(Galway)(Great Value!)
$78
Oranmore Lodge Hotel(Oranmore)(Great Value!)
$63
$224
The Twelve Hotel(Barna)
$219
Maldron Hotel Galway(Oranmore)(Great Value!)
$66
$175
$158
Orbitz.com
All reviewsspanish archb bsconestop floorport wineparking passswans swimmingattic roomplace to stayeach morninggalway bayamazing locationlatin quarterlittle touchesquay streetyogurtrestaurants and pubs
FilterAll languages
Reviewed January 5, 2014

Really enjoyed staying here. The service and breakfast were excellent. The location is really good too - right on the water and just around the corner from lots of restaurants and places to go out. The port night-caps were a nice touch. Definitely hoping to come back!

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed December 22, 2013

I had the immense privilege of staying with Sorcha at the Herons Rest in the summer of 2011. Perks: the individual attention! You get to select your breakfast the night before: a sumptuous choice of porridge or omelettes or pancakes or other such gourmet fare.... With cheeses and jams and fruit compote in a martini glass on the table (with fresh mint!!!). Sorcha chats with her guests as she makes the breakfast right in front of you, gives great advice on where to go, the best wine bars in the area, and the don't-miss sights in Galway. She is a smart, savvy, and lovely hostess. I was also delighted to discover that the other guests were all fascinating conversationalists who made the breakfast experience even more special.

One morning I had planned a big hike, and Sorcha even packed to-go breakfast muffins for me, making sure I would be well fed during my outing!

My room was a bit small, and my bathroom was shared with one other guest on my floor, but my room was also impeccably designed, and had a decanter of port to enjoy each night while I looked out over the bay. YES, the Inn is right on the water, and you can watch swans swimming outside of your window.

Bottom line, if you want exquisite food (definitely a blessed respite from a typical Irish breakfast), individual attention, fascinating breakfast companions, and a room overlooking swans, this is the place for you.

Stayed: August 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed December 22, 2013

My husband and I stayed at the Heron's Nest for the first time last June. To say we were happy with our choice would be an understatement. There had been some mixup with our first reservation and Sorcha most graciously helped us settle it instantly. She was away during our stay so we never got to properly thank her or tell her how much we enjoyed her establishment. Every thing was first class. Additionally, the young man who was in charge during her absence was charming, helpful, and full of information concerning Galway and the whole of Ireland for that matter. He made our stay even better, if possible. We travel to Ireland frequently and The Heron's Nest has gone on our list of places we have to stay at least once while there. We've had a lot to compare it to and I would put it on a level with the finest B and B' s around the country. Without reservation, I highly recommend the Heron's Nest if you are going to be anywhere in the Galway area! It's a hidden gem.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
1  Thank Sheila C
Reviewed December 22, 2013

I found the Heron's Rest online and booked it. It exceeded our expectations all around -- beautiful room, beautiful view of the bay, congenial, delightful, and helpful hostess, and delicious food! What more could one possibly ask for? We'd definitely go back!

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
1  Thank mdeades
Reviewed December 17, 2013

If you are considering Heron’s Rest, PLEASE read this review first!

My mother (60), sister (29), and I (26) traveled to Galway and stayed at The Heron’s Rest. We rarely see each other (about once a year) and spared no expense for this trip since it was such a special occasion for us. My mother has wanted to travel to Ireland her entire life. Heron’s Rest is definitely a more expensive option but we thought it would be worth it. Having traveled a lot, I definitely understand the luxury of having a really comfortable, nice place to return after a long day of exploring.

Positives: The B&B is very beautifully decorated, clean, and the beds are comfortable, the bathroom is large and spacious with a shower and bathtub. We felt that there was plenty of space for the three of us in one room. The view from the window is magical. The locations is great for being within walking distance to lots of Galway sights, restaurants, and shops, and the bus and train stations. The breakfast was good – this is quite obviously Sorcha’s (the hostess) passion.

Negatives: The location of the B&B is right on a main pedestrian street where young people tend to gather late into the evening, so there is quite a lot of street noise. There is no air or fan in the bedroom, so it becomes stuffy without the window open, which means its either stuffy or very loud. If noise is going to bother you, I suggest looking elsewhere. I live in a large city with urban noise, and was unable to sleep at all (probably slept about 2-3 hours each night). Obviously, this is not under Sorcha’s control which I absolutely understand.

That being said, the biggest downfall of Heron’s Rest for us was the way Sorcha treated us during out stay. We were looking forward to the famous Irish hospitality, or at least some level of kindness being guests and customers, which is why we opted for a B&B as opposed to a hotel. The first night we stayed after traveling for 20+ hours, there was an issue in the middle of the night with the door being locked from the inside. Somehow, we were blamed for this and my mother was scolded by Sorcha for it (at 2:00 am and in front of other guests). Needless to say, it was very uncomfortable for us.

After that, we felt that Sorcha continued to be somewhat hostile and even at times condescending to us. We definitely got a feeling that she did NOT want us there (it seemed obvious to all of us). It got to the point that we generally avoided her in order to skip the uncomfortable and awkward conversations. We even tried to find somewhere else to stay, but everything was booked and we were stuck.

On the day before we left, I went to settle the bill with Sorcha (in cash euros only, by the way…). I brought the exact amount of cash that we were quoted for our stay. Sorcha then told me that she had accidentally quoted me the wrong price, and gave me a new price – which was almost 300 euros MORE than the original price. At first I thought maybe I had misread the original invoice so I looked it up in my email but in fact, she had changed the cost. She said the mistake was because she was “using a new booking system”. When I looked on TripAdvisor later that evening, I saw that we were not the first guests to have this issue.

All in all – I would not recommend Heron’s Rest. We had an unfortunately terrible stay, and while the breakfast was good, it was in no way worth the cost or the disappointment of everything else.

On a positive note, we LOVED Galway, and went on many different excursions and day trips, enjoyed many restaurants and pubs on Quay St, enjoyed trad dancing and music, and all in all had a fantastic trip. Ireland is a beautiful country with amazing scenery, wonderful people, music, food, and has something for everyone. I would go back in a heartbeat.

If you have any questions or would like more specifics on our situation, or if you would like some ideas on things to do when visiting Galway, please feel free to message me personally.

Room Tip: All rooms face the water
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank Martha R
Sorcha_Molloy, Owner at The Herons Rest Boutique Bed & Breakfast, responded to this reviewResponded December 22, 2013

At The Herons Rest Boutique B&B we work very hard to ensure that ALL our guests are afforded every comfort and courtesy throughout their stay. Upon reading this particular guests comments I must say that I am surprised and a bit taken aback, so I feel compelled to reply and clarify some details.

Importantly I have a very clear recollection of these three lady guests, as we had been in regular email communication over about 6 months in advance of their stay. Martha was clearly putting a lot of thought and planning into the trip and I did my very best to facilitate this. During the course of our communication I wrote over 15 emails responding to their requests on things to do, recommended driving routes, favourite restaurants and generally extending to them every support and welcome I could imagine.

In advance of their booking I also advised them that they were planning to visit Galway during the Galway Races festival which is an extraordinarily busy time in Galway. The 'Galway Races' attracts over 250,000 people to the race track and the town is in festival celebration mode for 7 days.It is comparable to the Mardi Gras. As a centrally located guest house we are 5 minutes walk from the main streets, so whilst we are not on a main pedestrian street we do nevertheless have passers by talking & joking. Unfortunately there is little we can do to reduce noise during this time aside from our best efforts in working with the local authorities. We understand that this level of noise pollution is literally one week of the year and from experience have tried to ensure that the guests are aware in advance if their stay coincides with the festival. Most of our guests at that time would actually be attending the festival so it does not impact negatively on them.

I was pleased to read that Martha appreciated the comfort and decor of the sea facing room and bathroom in which she stayed with her mom and sister and also to hear that they each enjoyed their breakfast, which I prepared whilst chatting with them each morning. At no time did I feel that they were avoiding me, Quite the opposite in fact, Martha's mum is a very chatty lady and engaged me in many a long discussion. Upon arrival the ladies were clearly tired after a long-trip and were distracted during check in, which made it difficult for me to explain our simple locking system for house security. Later that night at 2am it became apparent that another party of guests had been locked out as someone had bolted the door from the inside. This has never before happened in 10 years and certainly was very frustrating and disruptive for everyone involved. Nevertheless the next day the issue was resolved amicably.

Most disappointing about this review is the assertion that I somehow changed the rate from the original booking rate and it is this point I would most like to clarify. May I explain: A day in advance of their expected arrival Martha emailed to say that there had been some confusion about the departure and landing dates of the plane and they would in fact be arriving a day later then expected. I responded that it was no problem, I would transfer their booking deposit to the next date. When generating this new booking sheet I made an error in transferring the rates, as we had just installed a new booking system. a week later when Martha and her mother and sister were ready to check out, they had calculated their bill based not on our original agreed rate, upon which the deposit payment had been made, but on the second booking sheet that had this error in it. At the time in order to explain, I printed ALL of our communication and indicated clearly to them how the original rate had been agreed and attached to every email aside from this last one. After some discussions it was agreed that the rate I was charging was based on the original agreed rate and the ladies paid the correct amount.

Sometimes in a guest house you meet the most fantastic people and it reminds you why you are in the business, at other times you can be left feeling completely exasperated despite your very best efforts. We are a small business and take all our guests concerns very seriously as we truly care about the happiness of our guests. Hopefully my comments will allay the concerns of those who read Martha's review, we are honest open hearted people and always put the needs and comforts of our guests first. In 2014 we expect to continue to grow and improve on our offering and we look forward forward to welcoming you.