Hotel Meyrick
  • Breakfast included
  • Breakfast included
  • Pool
1,577 results
All reviewseyre squareoyster barhot tub on the rooffifth floorhistoric hoteltrain stationjunior suitechristmas marketgalway cityspa treatmentsfantastic locationcentral locationwithin easy walking distanceboth morningssconespubs and restaurantslovely room
Reviewed April 2, 2010

Check in was fine, staff pleasant. We stayed in room 203. It was very small and over looked a skip and dumping area which was unsightly. A fire alarm woke us the following morning at 6.35am but there appeared to be limited staff on duty , in fact there was just one man who told us he was there on his own - thank good it was only a false alarm. For some strange reason there was only one hand towel and one bath towel in the bathroom the other 2 towels were in the wardrobe in the bedroom, not great when you are just got out of the shower.
In comparison to other 4 star hotels, breakfast was very limited for special dietary requirements even though I contacted the hotel before we arrived. There was no gluten free cereals, pastry, muffins, just toast which took 25 minutes to arrive, even though we had asked 3 times. Parts of the hot breakfast also contained gluten. This did not encourage to eat in any of the hotel restaurants.
In general the lobby was beautiful and the hotel had a good buzz about it; but our room was small, over looked a dumping skip and breakfast was disappointing: would not go out of my way to recommend it.

• Stayed: March 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed March 28, 2010

Have never before realised how much you could spoil what was a beutifull Hotel. The Mayrick redecoration is appalling.

We had reserved x2 rooms and when we checked in could not work out which was dirtier.

A poor excuse for a supposedly 4* hotel.

Promptly checked out within an hour of check in.

• Stayed: August 2007, traveled with family
2  Thank Rumpole-808
powers36, Manager at Hotel Meyrick, responded to this reviewResponded April 1, 2010

Dear Rumpole-808

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel.

Hotel Meyrick prides itself on the attention to detail and presentation of its room, therefore it was naturally disappointing to see your comments.
I apologise if you felt that our own high standards were not met on this occasion.

Kind regards

Cian O Broin

Reviewed March 23, 2010

Hi.

just back from a 2 night stay in the Meyrick.My girlfriend treated me to a little break for my birthday and I have to say, Its a great place.
Its really nice just abandoning your car right outside for the valet and for only 5 ruro a day its a great price (I realise most hotels have free parking but this hotel is right on Eyre Square and I recently spent almost 30 Euro at a different hotel in Galway for parking)
Anyway, receptionist was lovely, room was great (we had asked for a room overlooking the square and got it), bed was comfy and the shower was fantastic.
Breakfast on both mornings was really nice, little things like a complimentary newspaper, bottled still water, really nice breads and fruits etc. I'm a full Irish breakfast man myself but herself asked for porridge and kippers and was delighted with them.
The gym was great but I had forgotten my runners, thats my excuse anyway, but it must be great working out with a view of the whole city. The outdoor hot tub was superb also looking out over the bay.
We had coffees beside the fire one day reading our books and it was lovely, Old school service, two pots, one hot water the other coffee, again, the little things.. My girlfriend had a drink in the bar while I was in the room and she said the quality of her drink was excellent.. cold glass, nice thick lemon, friendly staff.. again, its the small things.
I've stayed in many hotels in Galway but this was by far the best.
Special mention to the reception staff, (sunday 21st about 2.30 and Tuesday 23rd about 11.30), the lady serving coffee in the lobby about 11.30 Monday, guy working in the gym on Monday and all the breakfast staff.
P.s, rarely write there reviews, only when I feel a hotel deserves it and its nice when someone else is paying for you tha it works out well.
Keep it up. We'll be back

• Stayed: March 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed March 18, 2010

stayed in the hotel on 28th february and from the moment we walked through the door the staff were friendly, professional, helpful and generally were a credit to the hotel profession. Every staff member we encountered was super obliging and stand out, by a mile, in terms of their positive attitude towards guests. We had booked the room on a bookings website and there was a mix up in one of the room requirements. Regardless of where the fault lay, it was sorted out in minutes and without fuss. The room was lovely and looked out over Ayre Square. We had both dinner and lunch in the hotel and both were very nice. Congrats to all staff members and to management who obvioulsy put customer service at the top of their agenda. In these days, when there is a vast amount of choice and good value for hotel rooms, the one thing that differentiates one hotel from another is their staff. For many people, a night or two away means a lot and the staff in the Meyrick definitely enhance the experience. Will defintely be going back. PS Might just suggest a sign inside the front door to indicate where the reception desk is.

• Stayed: February 2010, traveled with friends
Reviewed March 8, 2010

Great location, friendly staff, food in restaurant was limieted as we were on a set menu, gym is tiny but hot tub and jacuzzi were lovely. If you're going to Galway it's ideal for a city break.

• Stayed: February 2010, traveled with friends
GmMeyrick, Manager at Hotel Meyrick, responded to this reviewResponded March 9, 2010

Dear Ali3008

Thank you for your kind comments regarding our Hotel.

We are delighted that you had an enjoyable stay with us and will pass on your comments at our weekly staff meeting. We look forward to welcoming you back in the future.

For details on special offers and packages available, please visit our website.

Yours sincerely