“Lovely couples getaway.”
Review of Hotel Meyrick

Ranked #20 of 46 Hotels in Galway
Reviewed July 1, 2014

A stunning hotel from wall to wall. My girlfriend and I spent 2 nights in the Hotel Meyrick last week (Wednesday 25th - Friday 27th). A gift I purchased for our 1 year anniversary.
My initial concern was that as we are a young couple (both 18 years old), I had a feeling that we wouldn't be taken seriously, but this was far from the case. Arriving at reception, we had the pleasure of dealing with Patrick, who was an absolutely lovely chap. He took a genuine interest in us. Asking where we were from and what the occasion was. We loved him even more after he informed us that we had been upgraded from the executive room I had booked, upto a Junior Suite. He offered to help us with our bags and showed us to our room which was absolutely fabulous. The old feel of the decor was exactly as expected. I've seen people complain that the hotels rooms need updating but that is, quite frankly, a stupid complaint, as it is an old hotel and the style reflects this in the best way possible with the large sash curtains, chandeliers and oak furnishings.
The dinner was absolutely suburb and the staff were equally so. Joanna treated us brilliantly as did all of the staff that night. The food is absolutely amazing. We were stuffed to the gills. Breakfast both mornings was lovely. The only complaint would be to bake more croissants and pan au chocolat. They were so nice, we couldn't eat enough.
The spa was lovely too however it could improve with cleanliness up there. I saw some green mould on the rim of the Canadian jacuzzi which didn't look great and the windows could do with regular cleaning too.
Chilled pint glasses in the Gaslight Brasserie were a great touch for the large bottles of cider on the Thursday night. Brendan was an absolutely top notch lad and an excellent barman. Genuinely enjoyed chatting to him over the two nights. We had great craic with him.
Only other issue we had was the heat in the room. As our room was located beside the bus and train station, it was too noisey with the windows open, yet too hot when they were closed. Trying to find the happy medium was difficult but hey. It's a city centre hotel. It's not a fault of the hotel or the staff atall :). Thoroughly recommend this hotel to anyone. We will be back very soon :)

Room Tip: Try avoid rooms on the side of the bus station. Best bet would be to be facing out onto the square o...
1  Thank Ciarán C
HotelMeyrickManager, Public Relations Manager at Hotel Meyrick, responded to this reviewResponded July 16, 2014

Dear Ciarán C

Thank you for finding time to share your experience at Hotel Meyrick with other TripAdvisor users. We appreciate all our guest feedback.

We are delighted that you have enjoyed your stay at our Hotel and we hope that we made your visit to Galway this little bit more special and memorable.

We would like to apologies if your room was too warm. Majority of our guests on a cool night request heating to be turned up, which for some people might seem too warm. Sorry if this made your stay in any way uncomfortable.

Thank you again for this review and we hope you will return in the near future.

Management Team

Write a ReviewReviews (1,527)

Reviewed July 1, 2014

This is a two sided review as I had two recent stays in the Meyrick, both for weddings. First stay the room was a basic bed and four walls type room en suite. Fine for the few hours we stayed in it but nothing to write home about and slightly over-priced if anything. Second stay was recently for another wedding, booked on the assumption that we'd be getting the same type of room for a similar inflated price but happy to report that we were given a complimentary upgrade to a junior suite at check in. Room was large, very well decorated and a large comfortable bed and great view overlooking Eyre Square. Breakfast was adequate and what you'd expect for a similar standard hotel. Staff were very pleasant and helpful at check in but check out was quite slow with everyone seeming to be checking out in the 11am-12pm slot and the two check out staff handling that and phone calls to reception to the best of their ability but there was a large queue forming at this stage.

Dear Helmet_8

Thank you for taking the time to Wright this review. We do appreciate all feedback from our guests, as without this we are at a loss as to know where we not offering the service we expect to offer our guests
We are glad to see that you enjoyed your stay with us at the Hotel Meyrick, it is important for us to relay feedback to the various departments in the Hotel and we shall be relaying your kind marks to them all.
You comments regarding check out normally this doesn’t happen but thank you for bringing it to our attention
Thank you once again for your time and we hope to be welcoming you again in the near future.

Reviewed June 28, 2014 via mobile

Stayed here in june and really liked the look of the reception and bar area. Rooms are lovely although could do with a bit of updating. Unfortunately I have to say the breakfast was horrible, i don't know if it was due to the fact it was a monday morning and the chef couldn't be bothered after the weekend but was shocking very poor selection and the food that was there was under seasoned and tasteless. It's a shame as I enjoyed my stay but probably won't return again.

Dear PatrickB

You comments regarding your room have been duly noted, we at the Hotel Meyrick are continuously reinvesting in the product and it is always important for us to hear where guests feel we need to improve on our Décor.
The issues you had with breakfast supprises me but i will bring this up with the Head Chef

Hotel Meyrick Management Team
Eyre Square
Galway

Reviewed June 23, 2014

We arrived an hour before advertised check in, were treated to a complimentary coffee in the hall cafe, then brought to our suite, which at 72 sq m / 750 sq feet was extremely spacious, well furnished and had a very pleasant aspect with views over the docks and North Clare mountains. The first evening we ate at No.15 Brasserie in the basement where the waiting staff and sommelier could not have been more knowledgeable or attentive. On the second day we treated ourselves to the afternoon tea, which is in an amazing setting featuring an authentic Westminster pattern marble floor and an in house pianist, the price at €30 for two belies the fact that this tea compared favourablyy with any 5 star hotel we've done in London or Dublin; that evening we ate at the other brasserie in the hotel where the food although less formal was good modern fare; the waiting staff again really pleasant despite the best efforts of our 18 month old daughter!!! No hesitation in recommending this hotel as a luxury indulgence that is surprisingly good value. Will certainly return.

Room Tip: The eastern elevation is quieter as the west elevation Eyre Sq is the centre of Galway nightlife.
  • Stayed: June 2014, traveled with family

Dear PaddingtonBear3

Thank you for this kind review.

We are delighted to read that you had a wonderful time with us. It is very important for us to know that yet another customer left Hotel Meyrick with some nice memories.

We are looking forward to see you again on your return to our hotel.

Reviewed June 23, 2014 via mobile

This historic hotel (John Wayne was here) is in a perfect location although close to pubs that don't close early. The parties continued through our window but we didn't mind - all part of the experience! Just about everything you could do in two days is within walking distance.

We ended up with an "executive" room which actually means handicap accessible, but after resigning myself to not having a tub it wasn't so bad. The staff offered to move us the second night. The room was always hot, but I think that's indicative to the whole hotel.

The staff throughout this hotel was wonderful. We needed to store our luggage and car while out on a five day equestrian tour and they were very helpful. The restaurant was good and overall a great experience. Don't miss the weekend market and of course the downtown pubs!

Dear GinaW-Ak

Thank you for taking your time to writhe this honest and informative review.

We are delighted to see that you have enjoyed so many things about our hotel, such as bang on city centre location, old world charm and various bars. We will be passing your kind comments to our team.

We hope to see you again in the future.

Reviewed June 21, 2014 via mobile

I spent two nights with my daughter at Meyrick Hotel - 14-16 June 2014 - the lobby and bar were very nice and relaxing. We loved the piano music on Sat afternoon having a drink in the lobby. The breakfast was excellent - but our bedroom was tiny. The walls were filty - the tiles on the bathroom floor were broken (not what I would expect from a four star hotel) it was very disapointing. We choose to stay in Meyrick for a bit of luxury but it was not so. 2nd morning I complained to reception - they were very apologetic - they reduced the bill a little and offered us a suite on 5th floor. We decided to move to the suite. It was very nice - had a wonderful view. Hotel very central and staff very nice

Dear Mary H29

Thank you for taking time to write this review.

We are delighted to see that you had an enjoyable stay here art the Hotel Meyrick. We will pass your kind comments to all our staff members.

It was disappointing to see that we did not tick every box this time, as this is not the usual feedback we get on a quality of our rooms. We will pass your comments to our Head of accomadation and make sure that on your next visit you will see major improvement.

Thank you once again for your review and we are looking forward to welcome you at Hotel Meyrick in the near future.

Reviewed June 20, 2014

This hotel is the worse I've ever stayed at, and I've stayed at so many (USA and Europe). I plan to follow with a detailed review, however, I'm so stunned by the hotel concierge's reaction to a request for an iron that I cannot help writing while I await an iron. After about a dozens rings, I hung up and waited a few minutes before calling back as I thought/assumed they were busy with other guests and I didn't want to interrupt. Calling again apparently pissed off the concierge as her greeting...well...didn't seem very warm and then she barked that one would be brought to our room shortly. As I was thanking her, she loudly hung up the phone. I have always stayed at ice hotels and unfortunately the Hotel Meyrick isn't as nice as I had assumed. Nevertheless, I haven't never need treated so poorly at ANY hotel. Still in shock as I hear a knock on the door ... My husband can answer it. I fear I just may return the rudeness, and I won't be pleased with myself later. Disappointed guest in Galway....

4  Thank AngLee1965
HotelMeyrickManager, Public Relations Manager at Hotel Meyrick, responded to this reviewResponded July 7, 2014

Dear Anglee1965

Thank you for taking the time to write of your experience at the Hotel Meyrick, we at the Hotel Meyrick do take all our guest feedback in a constructive manner and act upon this as best possible using the information we are given.Your comments regarding the member of concierge has been relayed to the relevant Manager to address with them.

We are sorry to hear that your stay was not what we expect of ourselves at the Hotel Meyrick but we do thank you for bringing this to our attention

Regards