“Another great hotel in Ireland”
Review of Hotel Meyrick

Ranked #19 of 46 Hotels in Galway
Reviewed December 25, 2012

Someone from Ashford Castle recommended this hotel and we are so glad we found it so quickly upon our arrival in Gallway. The location can't be beat, right down the street from the main parking structure, bus station, and right on Eyre Square. The hotel interior and exterior are beautiful, our rooms were lovely, the bathrooms gorgeous and spacious, the breakfast was great with some of the best scones I've ever had. We didn't have a reservation but that staff was warm and accommodating and so helpful during our stay. Because it was the week before Christmas - a traditionally slow time - we received room upgrades and the price was very reasonable. We would definitely stay here again. It was a little loud at night because of all the holiday revelry going on, but that was part of the experience.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family
HotelMeyrickManager, Manager at Hotel Meyrick, responded to this reviewResponded January 10, 2013

Dear Guest

Thank you for taking the time to write of your experience at the Hotel Meyrick. It is always nice to hear that our guests enjoyed their stay with us.

We will be sure to pass on your kind comments to all the staff, it is always a pleasure to be able to relay the positive back to them.

We look forward to seeing you again in the near future.

Management Team

Write a ReviewReviews (1,499)

Reviewed December 20, 2012

We came in to Galway by bus and were pleasantly surprised to see it was so close to the bus station (less than 5 mins walk). The hotel is centrally located on Eyre Square with lots of shops and amenities, and looked out on the Christmas market. We had the Winter Warmers deal which upgraded us to a suite on the top floor facing the market - wonderful view! Room was large, comfy and warm. The breakfast buffet was substantial and the staff were so helpful and friendly! Only thing that wasn't perfect was the noise in the wee hours coming from the square, but it was expected given the hotel's central location and the position of our room. Will definitely recommend this hotel!

Room Tip: Rooms at front of hotel may be noisy.

Dear Guest

We thank you for taking time to write this review.

We are glad that you have enjoyed so many things about our hotel, such as our location, exclusive rooms and high standard of the service. We appreciate all feedback from our guests as without it we are at loss as to know where we are not providing service we expect of our selves.

Thank you once again for your time and we hope to see you at Hotel Meyrick in the near future.

Reviewed December 19, 2012

Stayed at the Meyrick 30.11.12 - 04.12.12 with my wife and had a thoroughly enjoyable relaxing break. The location of the Meyrick was an added bonus for us as all shopping malls,Train station,Bus station were situated only a matter of minutes away. A small Christmas market was also in full swing outside the hotel front door and was a pleasant addition to our stay. We had a 5th floor room looking out towards Salthill. The room was most comfortable(Coffee/Tea maker,Good TV,Spacious bathroom and most important "Very Comfotable Beds",Free WiFi). Hotel Breakfast was of very high standard with an exceptional selection. All the staff were most helpful in every way to make our stay as enjoyable as possible. We would certainly stay again at the Meyrick!!

1  Thank Hughboy67

Dear Guest

Thank you for taking time to share your experience at Hotel Meyrick with other Tripadvisor users.

We are glad to read that you had an enjoyable stay with us, as we expect nothing less than excellent customer service of ourselves. All feedback is important to us and I will certainly pass your kind comments to our team.

Thank you once more for your review and we are looking forward to welcome you back to Hotel Meyrick in the near future.

Reviewed December 11, 2012

I recently stayed at the Meyrick for the first time and do not normally write reviews however I thought I should say just how much I enjoyed my stay. From the valet parking to the friendly staff and great breakfast my boyfriend and I cannot praise the Meyrick enough. We were given a room that overlooked Eyre Square and it was spacious and elegantly decorated and nothing was too much trouble for the staff at reception. I felt right in the heart of the city and there was a good Christmas buzz in the hotel. The only problem is now we cannot stay anywhere else when we visit,lol. It was an excellent weekend. Thanks to the staff and see you again.

Room Tip: Rooms at the front are the noisier but they have great views.
1  Thank skelly186482
HotelMeyrickManager, Manager at Hotel Meyrick, responded to this reviewResponded December 18, 2012

Dear Guest

Thank you for taking the time to write of your experience at the Hotel Meyrick. We are delighted to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us and our prime location in Galway City,

We at the Hotel Meyrick value our guests and their comments, as without these we are unaware if we are offering the level of service we expect of ourselves. We will be relaying all our feedback to our staff and management team.

Thank you once again for your time and we look forward to seeing you again in the future.

Reviewed December 11, 2012

We stayed there as a group and had a very pleasant stay. Although this is an old building it is well maintained and very comfortable. The room was nice and the bar was enjoyable. Being in Eyre Square there is always a buzz around the place, and there was a Christmas village set up in the Square
We had a very good meal in the restaurant and following a short stay in the bar downstairs, which was not really the type of bar we were looking for, we headed out around the city to The Kings Head and had a great night.
On arrival I checked in and the receptionist asked to pre authorise my credit card for any extras that I might like to charge to my room. I would always do this but in this hotel I was told the Authorisation would be on my account for 10 days. When I questioned the time period I was told the Banks are the problem. As a regular hotel traveller I have never come accross this before and refused a charge account and advised all my other guests to do the same.
All hotels I Stay in complete the authorisations on check out. Why should anybody have a hold on my card for so long using up my available credit
Other than the issue with the card I did enjoy my visit.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled on business
HotelMeyrickManager, Manager at Hotel Meyrick, responded to this reviewResponded December 29, 2012

Thank you for taking the time to write of your experience at the Hotel Meyrick, we are delighted to hear that you enjoyed your time with us.

We are glad that you enjoyed all that the Hotel Meyrick has to offer, such as the various bars and great location. We hope that on your next visit you will have time to visit our Square Spa and avail of one of their lovely treatments, or just relax in the out door hot tub.

Regarding your comments about pre authorisation of our guest’s credit cards, unfortunately this is a precaution we have to take with all debit cards to secure the payment for the accommodation. For our guests who are not happy with bank holding off pre authorised amount for 10 to 14 days we would advise to pay for accommodation at the check in.

We thank you again - for having booked with us and for your review - and we hope to see you again in the near future.

Reviewed November 27, 2012

The Meyrick hotel looks out onto Eyre Square. It's right around the corner from the train station so we didn't have to carry all of our luggage to far. Shop Street, the coach station, 2 tourism centers, and a launderette are within a 5 minute walking distance.

The hotel itself if very old and grand. There's only 1 elevator and it's a little slow. We got an upgraded room and were hoping to get a view of Eyre Square but got a view of a hostel instead. Our room was very nice and spacious. Even though it was the middle of November we kept on opening the window to get some ventilation, especially after someone takes a shower. I loved using the towel warmer in the bathroom. Breakfast in the hotel restaurant was very nice. The food was well stocked at all times and nothing got cold or soggy.

All of the staff were very nice and pretty helpful. If there was a concierge I didn't see him/her.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank AjasTravels

Dear Guest

We look forward to seeing you again in the near future

Reviewed November 27, 2012 via mobile

Spent one night here in November. The location is excellent on the corner of Eyre Square and it was clearly once a grand hotel.
My room was beautiful with great views over the square, lovely old furniture, comfy bed and a gorgeous bathroom. The heat was on by the windows but I found it chilly and woke up a little cold in the night, despite an extra blanket and fleece pjs! I guess this is to be expected with an older building.
Check in was fine, the lady working on reception was very nice. Slightly odd location for the reception desk, hidden behind the fireplace.
I ate dinner in the oyster bar, service was not the best, after sitting for ten minutes I went to the bar to order. There were only two other tables occupied, but I was still overlooked. I had a green curry and it was only so so, over cooked and quite bland.
I then went to relax in my lovely room.
Breakfast was fine, again issues with service, the waitress forgot to bring my toast and coffee and was not a bit friendly when I reminded her. I was nearly finished breakfast at that stage. The quality of breakfast was good, nice sausages and bacon, good selection of fruits, cereals and juices. Eggs were poor though.
Overall I left feeling a little disappointed, it's such a beautiful old hotel, all it needs is a bit of tlc when it comes to service and food and it could be so special.

• Stayed: November 2012
1  Thank Dimmie
HotelMeyrickManager, Manager at Hotel Meyrick, responded to this reviewResponded November 29, 2012

Dear Guest

Thank you for your review. While we are grateful to you for having taken the time to let others know about your stay here, we are disappointed that your experience was not entirely to your satisfaction.

Feedback is really important to us and always very gratefully received. Thank you.

Your comments regarding your experience in the bar, during the breakfast and low temperature in your room have been brought to the attention of relevant department managers and have been addressed. I would like to give you assurance that this is not usually the feedback that we receive and that we pride ourselves on our high standards of service and customer care.

I hope that you will return to stay with us again should you visit Galway in the future.