“Excellent experience in a great location”
Review of Hotel Meyrick

Ranked #21 of 46 Hotels in Galway
Reviewed December 11, 2012

I recently stayed at the Meyrick for the first time and do not normally write reviews however I thought I should say just how much I enjoyed my stay. From the valet parking to the friendly staff and great breakfast my boyfriend and I cannot praise the Meyrick enough. We were given a room that overlooked Eyre Square and it was spacious and elegantly decorated and nothing was too much trouble for the staff at reception. I felt right in the heart of the city and there was a good Christmas buzz in the hotel. The only problem is now we cannot stay anywhere else when we visit,lol. It was an excellent weekend. Thanks to the staff and see you again.

Room Tip: Rooms at the front are the noisier but they have great views.
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank skelly186482
HotelMeyrickManager, Manager at Hotel Meyrick, responded to this reviewResponded December 18, 2012

Dear Guest

Thank you for taking the time to write of your experience at the Hotel Meyrick. We are delighted to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us and our prime location in Galway City,

We at the Hotel Meyrick value our guests and their comments, as without these we are unaware if we are offering the level of service we expect of ourselves. We will be relaying all our feedback to our staff and management team.

Thank you once again for your time and we look forward to seeing you again in the future.

There are newer reviews for Hotel Meyrick

Reviewed December 11, 2012

We stayed there as a group and had a very pleasant stay. Although this is an old building it is well maintained and very comfortable. The room was nice and the bar was enjoyable. Being in Eyre Square there is always a buzz around the place, and there was a Christmas village set up in the Square
We had a very good meal in the restaurant and following a short stay in the bar downstairs, which was not really the type of bar we were looking for, we headed out around the city to The Kings Head and had a great night.
On arrival I checked in and the receptionist asked to pre authorise my credit card for any extras that I might like to charge to my room. I would always do this but in this hotel I was told the Authorisation would be on my account for 10 days. When I questioned the time period I was told the Banks are the problem. As a regular hotel traveller I have never come accross this before and refused a charge account and advised all my other guests to do the same.
All hotels I Stay in complete the authorisations on check out. Why should anybody have a hold on my card for so long using up my available credit
Other than the issue with the card I did enjoy my visit.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled on business
HotelMeyrickManager, Manager at Hotel Meyrick, responded to this reviewResponded December 29, 2012

Thank you for taking the time to write of your experience at the Hotel Meyrick, we are delighted to hear that you enjoyed your time with us.

We are glad that you enjoyed all that the Hotel Meyrick has to offer, such as the various bars and great location. We hope that on your next visit you will have time to visit our Square Spa and avail of one of their lovely treatments, or just relax in the out door hot tub.

Regarding your comments about pre authorisation of our guest’s credit cards, unfortunately this is a precaution we have to take with all debit cards to secure the payment for the accommodation. For our guests who are not happy with bank holding off pre authorised amount for 10 to 14 days we would advise to pay for accommodation at the check in.

We thank you again - for having booked with us and for your review - and we hope to see you again in the near future.

Reviewed November 27, 2012

The Meyrick hotel looks out onto Eyre Square. It's right around the corner from the train station so we didn't have to carry all of our luggage to far. Shop Street, the coach station, 2 tourism centers, and a launderette are within a 5 minute walking distance.

The hotel itself if very old and grand. There's only 1 elevator and it's a little slow. We got an upgraded room and were hoping to get a view of Eyre Square but got a view of a hostel instead. Our room was very nice and spacious. Even though it was the middle of November we kept on opening the window to get some ventilation, especially after someone takes a shower. I loved using the towel warmer in the bathroom. Breakfast in the hotel restaurant was very nice. The food was well stocked at all times and nothing got cold or soggy.

All of the staff were very nice and pretty helpful. If there was a concierge I didn't see him/her.

1  Thank AjasTravels

Dear Guest

Thank you for taking the time to write of your experience at the Hotel Meyrick. It is always nice to hear that our guests enjoyed their stay with us.

We will be sure to pass on your kind comments to all the staff, it is always a pleasure to be able to relay the positive back to them.

We look forward to seeing you again in the near future

Reviewed November 27, 2012 via mobile

Spent one night here in November. The location is excellent on the corner of Eyre Square and it was clearly once a grand hotel.
My room was beautiful with great views over the square, lovely old furniture, comfy bed and a gorgeous bathroom. The heat was on by the windows but I found it chilly and woke up a little cold in the night, despite an extra blanket and fleece pjs! I guess this is to be expected with an older building.
Check in was fine, the lady working on reception was very nice. Slightly odd location for the reception desk, hidden behind the fireplace.
I ate dinner in the oyster bar, service was not the best, after sitting for ten minutes I went to the bar to order. There were only two other tables occupied, but I was still overlooked. I had a green curry and it was only so so, over cooked and quite bland.
I then went to relax in my lovely room.
Breakfast was fine, again issues with service, the waitress forgot to bring my toast and coffee and was not a bit friendly when I reminded her. I was nearly finished breakfast at that stage. The quality of breakfast was good, nice sausages and bacon, good selection of fruits, cereals and juices. Eggs were poor though.
Overall I left feeling a little disappointed, it's such a beautiful old hotel, all it needs is a bit of tlc when it comes to service and food and it could be so special.

• Stayed: November 2012
1  Thank Dimmie
HotelMeyrickManager, Manager at Hotel Meyrick, responded to this reviewResponded November 29, 2012

Dear Guest

Thank you for your review. While we are grateful to you for having taken the time to let others know about your stay here, we are disappointed that your experience was not entirely to your satisfaction.

Feedback is really important to us and always very gratefully received. Thank you.

Your comments regarding your experience in the bar, during the breakfast and low temperature in your room have been brought to the attention of relevant department managers and have been addressed. I would like to give you assurance that this is not usually the feedback that we receive and that we pride ourselves on our high standards of service and customer care.

I hope that you will return to stay with us again should you visit Galway in the future.

Reviewed November 23, 2012

My family and i stayed her last week for three nights. We had booked two executive rooms and wanted to upgrade our aunts room as it was her birthday. Despite repeatedly telling them on the phone call that it was our aunts room to upgrade AND a gift, the receptionist mixed the two rooms up, giving us the executive suite and our aunt the executive room. She also went through full pricing with us so my aunt knew exactly what we'd spent. Why on earth would they do this when we specified it was a gift??? Another member of our party joined us later on and due to the room mix up was given the wrong key and also was told absolutely nothing about the hotel, not even where the lift was. She was welcomed to the hotel with a 'you okay?' from the receptionist glued to the computer.

The executive lounge was an absolute joke. Only the suite gave us access to it, not the executive room which we found bizarre and something worth remembering if you're expecting to use it. It was a lovely room but was always (and i mean always, as in every single time any one of us went into it) dirty. Dirty cups, glasses, plates and tissues left lying around. I would have been embarrassed had i had any business guests into it. It was very poorly replenished, if replenished at all as we only found coffee for the machine there twice, two capsules once, and one capsule the next time. For four coffee drinkers this didn't work out too well. Despite letting the hotel know twice, it stayed the same dirty under stocked way for our entire duration. There was never more than 3 or 4 pastries and fingers crossed for water or milk. One butter dish which was usually dirty too. They advertise to have a bar there but it is actually a locked wardrobe which will not be opened unless you book a min of two days in advance??? The executive lounge badly let the hotel down and there is no way i would consider upgrading again here due to this.

The room was nice enough but with the addition of a camper bed it was v tight on space. I would be concerned about staying in a standard room after the size of the executive room, is it a wardrobe?? The noise from the street was pretty bad on the third floor but nothing was heard on the fifth floor. The suite was beautiful, very spacious and wonderful pieces.The living and dining areas were not separate to the bedroom area, it was all one big room but very pretty.

Breakfast was nice enough. The hostess was extremely friendly, helpful and efficient and the best member of staff we encountered. The breakfast was a bit messy. They only have one type of eggs on the hot food buffet which changes daily so if its not what you want t
you have to order it. You would think this means your eggs are fresh but unfortunately not, they seem to be sitting in there pre made as our fried eggs were already hard. Sausages and rashers were good quality and well cooked, and toast and coffee/tea is served to the table which is a plus. The staff were not on the ball with replenishing th items as one day the buffet had seem to nearly completely run out of fruit and this was not corrected by the time we finished. There is not a huge selection but its good enough. The spa is ok, no relaxation area and the treatments were not as advertised, although they were reasonable value. Steam room was out of order during our visit.

The last thing i would comment on is the valet parking, while this was very handy to have each time our car was returned to use filthy, not sure where they leave the cars but i think it needs a deep clean!

Overall the hotel is beautiful, the location is perfect but the staff mostly don't seem bothered and the executive lounge was very poor. Meyrick does not represent value for money and i would probably not stay there again unless it was a very low rate.

Room Tip: Either high up to avoid the noise or at the back. Ask for something spacious as room was v small.
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank KilaIreland
Reviewed November 22, 2012

My husband and I stayed here for three nights last week and had a fabulous experience. the hotel is very clean and warm - valet parking is brilliant - this is the way to go for 5 euro a day - excellent service. We were given a room that was designed for wheelchair - the sing in bathroom was too low and there was no bath in our bathroom. I asked if we could have another room that had a bath as I had a bad back and like to soak in the bath whenever possible and there was absolutley no problem at all - this was done very efficiently. The rooms are very warm and clean and the bed was so comfortable. Pity there wasnt an iron in the room though but this was not a problem really as when I requested one, it was delivered within minutes. Staff were very friendly especially the lady with the foreign accent that met us at breakfast and showed us to our table - she was excellent and definitley an asset to the hotel - I noticed that she was absolutely lovely to all visitors to the dining room. Breakast was excellent - there was nothing forgotton here. The bar is lovely and the prices are in line with prices throughout the country generally. This hotel is excellent in every way - the location is brilliant. We walked each day to Salthill which is approx 6 miles return distance - this walk is great if you are feeling energetic and there are some lovely coffee shops on the prom in Salthill for a quick snack if you are feeling peckish. If in Galway you should visit Salthill - it is lovely. We found a lovely pub or a drink just off Eyre Square called the Bunch of Grapes - lovely staff here and well worth a visit - very friendly place. Of course a visit to Galway would not be the same if you don't go to McSwiggans to eat - this place is fantastic and the prices are fine too - the food is excellent here and the staff are lovely. The Brasserie is also worth a visit to eat here - this is also excellent and just around the corner from McSwiggand and opposite Eddie Rockets. The only down side to the hotel was that I had checked with the hotel if there was a sauna, steam room , jacuzzi/hot tub and I was told there was. When we arrived we were told there was no sauna and the steam room was not working - the outdoor hot tub was great though. I would greatly recommend this hotel and will definitely return here.

Room Tip: When booking ask for a room with a bath and shower just in case you get a room suitable for wheelcha...
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
HotelMeyrickManager, Manager at Hotel Meyrick, responded to this reviewResponded November 26, 2012

Dear Guest

Thank you for your wonderful comments and thank you also, most sincerely for choosing to stay here in Hotel Meyrick. All on the team are delighted that you had such an enjoyable stay with us.

Your positive feedback regarding the location of the hotel, valet parking, the quality of food and customer service you received is most welcome. We are all delighted that like so many others you received the true Hotel Meyrick experience.

We look forward to hopefully welcoming you back at some stage in the future.

Reviewed November 21, 2012

my wife and I got a groupon deal 2 nights b&b 1 evening meal and a junior suite. went midweek November 14. Arrived in Galway from Lisburn after a 3 hour drive only, the roads are now fantastic with motorway most of the way. Check in was faultless Our car was valet parked 5 euro a day when we arrived and the concierge helped us with our luggage and even brought us some wine from our car to the room with a smile.The room was huge and had king size bed en suite was very large also his and her sinks etc. The only let down was the view as it was at the back of the building overlooking the train/bus station but no great inconvenience.Also the grout at the bottom of the shower cubicle was grimy and needs replaced but generally the room and indeed the hotel was spotless.The evening meal was fantastic and catered well for my wife who is coeliac, they had gluten free bread, breakfast was also very good. The staff were all very nice and everyone had a smile on their faces, cant recommend them enough.
All in all a thoroughly lovely stay. galway is buzzing and has lots of good restaurants and pubs as well as shops. Very friendly people. GO. Ate at a gereat little restaurant in quay street , THe quy street kitchen

Room Tip: we where at the back so had some noise but not a lot from the bus station however the front looks on...