“very clean and well located B&B, great breakfast and staff”

Copper Beech Bed & Breakfast
Ranked #91 of 197 Galway B&B and Inns
Dublin
“very clean and well located B&B, great breakfast and staff”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 14, 2009

I'm just back from Copper beach house, I was very worried about so many bad reviews and I must say they are totally wrong and misleading.. This bed breakfast is a very clean and comforbable place to stay for a couple of nights, very close to the bus and train station and short walking distance to city centre. Breakfast was great, much better than many expensive hotels, with a very good selection of different types of breakfast ( I'm Italian and I am not used to have eggs and bacon in the morning and they provided lovely fresh fruit and yoghurt in a very nice presentation). We found staff very nice and friendly , expecially the lady who welcomed us last Saturday (maybe Polish?) was lovely. Bathroom was private but it was outside the room. It wasn't an issue for us as it was very clean but you might ring them to make sure you get a room with bathroom inside.

• Stayed September 2009

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (15)
galway
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 26, 2009

we stayed there for st patricks festival was a little worried after some bad reviews however apparantly It has just been taken over by New management and a girl called Sharon could not have been more helpful. the brekfast served was as good as anything I have tasted including many 5 star hotels. It is very central and whilst some features could do with amake up.it is very reasonable and highly recommended

• Stayed March 2009, traveled as a couple
boulder
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 14, 2008

Hey folks ! This trip has been almost a month already since we've been staying at the "famous" Copper beech house.Our bus has arrived kind of late that night.Since we had no booking in Galway whatsoever ,in the pooring rain we started look for a shelter,wich we found shortly after.We checked a couple of places on "College road" ??(Not shure it was dark :-))I almost gave up,but my Girl was complaining about the cold rain and kind of blamed the whole thing on me.Most of the B&B's was way out of our budget.,accept the one.This dude was in hes mid 30's(I'm guessing) with a funky accent,but we had no choice took it anyways.When we got into the room I was so exhausted i layed my head down,and it was morning already.Came down for breakfast (Turned out to be the best Irish breakfast in my Irish journey) we started to talk.A few minutes later we already made friends,we had so much in common.(It was about my hometown Boulder,Co where I was born) now his funky accent made lots of sence to me.By the time my girl decided to come down for breakfast,we already made plans ,how we gonna get a discounted halitrax skiing in Ophir,Co.We switched some digits and email just to make shure that we will definietly hook up in Colo in the early next year.Later on ,unfortunatly we had to split,but I'm looking forward to make a quite a few runs whenever he comes to Colo.
Dont miss out on Copper beech's Dank greasy Irish breakfast wooow.......phuhhhh......ahhh
worth it,trust me !!!!
peace...

• Liked — was'nt about the room ,is the friendship what I made
  • Disliked — the checkout time (was'nt quite ready to leave) 11:30 am
  • Stayed October 2008, traveled as a couple
London
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 31, 2007

Before arriving in Galway, I had always connected the city with a lovely, dreamy and heavenly atmosphere.
I have to say, my stay at this B&B spoilt it all.
Having made the mistake of not reserving a B&B beforehand, I arrived in Galway to find that most accommodation was fully booked, despite it being a mid-October Saturday.

The only place with one free room was this one.
I still remember the strong odour in the air, which wasn't necessarily a smell, but a strong, overly sweet fragrance of something of which furniture, bed sheets , carpets were soaked. Like a cheap quality room odorizer.

Shower - in the "en suite" bathroom - was nothing but a tap hanging from the ceiling with a hole on the floor. Once finished, all the toilet was wet, including the toilet paper which was unusable. So nice to have a shower whilst you can hear the water dripping down from your elbows into the toilet!!

Milk for the tea (the one in the little sealed containers)- had gone past its expiry date for about a month.

Hairdryer - a bad brown model from the early 70's, wasn't working as the plug was all smashed.

Breakfast - after seing a huge tray full of dry and overcooked bacon slices waiting to be served to guests, which seemed to have been cooked a month before, I lost all my appetite.

Payment - upfront, before seeing the room. 50 euros for that small room with the shower above the WC and a hole on the floor.

Hor - ri - ble.

Don't go there. Rather sleep in the car and have a shower in the public toilets (I still have this rancid smell in the house haunting me)

• Liked — thank God I only had to stay for 1 night
  • Disliked — the shower above the WC
  • Stayed October 2007, traveled solo
4 Thank caravanserai82

Travelers are raving about these Galway hotels

Donegal
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 27, 2007

The Bed & Breakfast was not what had been advertised at all. The landlady said to us that we were not staying in the house but down the back in apartments. Did not mind that as i was going down i knew i had stayed here years ago and they where fine.

When we landed in the room it was full of damp all black stuff up on the walls and even on the white curtains it was obviously empty all winter with no heat and she never botherd to freshen it up and down behind the bed was all black where she had pulled the bed out from the wall.

We decided to forget about the room for a few hours and headed out for dinner as it was late in the evening and we had no choice but to take it, but that night the room was stinking we had to keep window open all night.

We were up at 9.00 the next morning and my fiancee went into the landlady and told her he wasnt giving her 90 euro for the room that it was filthy and dirty and not what was advertised.

She was very unpleasant and said that if we had a problem with the room we should have told her before this and that she gave no discounts there.

He said that if she came with her he had no problem in showing her the dirt in the room. I told my fiancee that there was no point in arguing with her as she had my credit card number and she would probably take it out of there.

So if anyone is thinking of staying here don't, you have been warned, I wish I had read the reviews on Tripadvisor before I headed there.

• Liked — It's filthy
  • Disliked — Close to Galway City
  • Stayed June 2007, traveled as a couple
3 Thank gaothdobhair
Dublin, Ireland
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 11, 2007

Our room was overlooking the lake which was nice but it obviously had not been maintined as it smelt of mould and you could clearly see mould growing on the walls.

Breakfast was served fine the first day and the next we arrived at 9.50am (breakfast served until 10am) and we were greeted with an extremley rude member of staff irrately tapping her wrist indicating we were too late. I asked if there was a problem to be told there was 10 people waiting for their breakfast already and we would have to wait 40 minutes for ours. No offer of cereal or toast which we would have gladly accepted under the circumstances.

Overall, extremley rude staff and very basic accomadation, would not recommend to anyone.

• Liked — The lake
  • Disliked — The Staff on in the morning - disgraceful
  • Stayed March 2007, traveled with friends
4 Thank kerry80Ireland
limerick
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 31, 2006

definitely would not return to this b&b. Breakfast service was terrible, one person who came for breakfast at one minute before breakfast ended was refused. staff were unfriendly and the bathroom was filthy. only positive point was it was convenient to the city centre. definitely would not recommend. i just had to write a review to warn other staying visitors to beautiful galway..

• Liked — convenience
  • Disliked — service and staff
  • Tips/Secrets — dont stay there