“Cheap & Cheerful”

College Crest Guest House
Ranked #34 of 188 Galway B&B and Inns
Reviewed February 23, 2009

Very reasonable for so close to the city centre. Owner/Hostess was very helpful. Decor is dated but room was clean. No extras like toiletries in the bathroom but what do you expect for the price? Bit concerned when I discovered that the table lamps are secured to the lockers with screws! Would reccomend for somewhere to lay your head on a short trip, not to someone looking for a relaxing get-away.

• Stayed: February 2009, traveled with friends
There are newer reviews for College Crest Guest House

Reviewed February 8, 2009

I had read the reviews before our stay and was a bit concerned because they were very mixed. Most of them were 06/07 so as it was January 09 I hoped things had improved. We have had varied experiences before where we had stayed in other establishments in College Road and the first visit was great, only to return another year and find it was now run by students. The problem with this is they do not have the same vested interest as it is not their property, I also expect an irish welcome when I visit Galway.
We stayed at the College Crest for three nights. Helen who runs the bed and breakfast also lives there, she knows Galway well and has lived there for many years. We had the friendly irish welcome I expected. Staff were helpful and we were pleased with our room which was clean. Each day we enjoyed our irish breakfast and the walks into the center afterwards. The College Crest is situated close to the center and night life. We would stay ther again and had no complaints.

• Stayed: January 2009, traveled with family
Reviewed November 26, 2008

We were impressed with this B&B. The staff were friendly and helpful, the room was comfortable and clean and the quality of the breakfast good.

The B&B is well situated. The center of Galway is only five minutes walk and we were given great advice on local hotspots to visit.

We felt that the B&B was good value for money. We paid 35 Euros per person per night which was a little lower than some of the other places on the street that we walked into.

Overall, a frendly welcoming place for a good price. One which I would recommend!

• Stayed: October 2008, traveled solo
Reviewed June 13, 2008

I am not a big fan of B&Bs in the first place, but I must say this one is by far the worst I've ever stayed at.

I booked for one night only (thank god) and on my arrival, the front door was wide open and nobody at reception. I waited, rung the door bell 10 times, phoned the place, and still nobody to greet me. I entered the reception room, called, went in the kitchen. I should have run at this stage because it was anything but clean. I finally decided to go upstairs where a TV was blasting from a guest bedroom, and I finally met the owner. I was shown the room, in which the TV was broken, so I asked to change room. I was then given a room on the third floor. No chair to put your clothes on, no shower rug, no soap, no shampoo. The shower was barely working anyway, there was no ventilation so there was lots of mold on the walls, The window curtains had not been washed in years. The rug in the bedroom was filthy and above all, the deaf man with his blasting TV below my room did not go to sleep before 3 am, and neither did I. I was awoken at 6 am by the absolutely disgusting smell of cheap greasy burnt fry up (and I was 2 floors away from the kitchen, scary) so that was the end of my night. Needless to say I got dressed in the morinng and ran as fast as I could. This place should be shut down.

• Stayed: June 2008, traveled solo
2  Thank CSH8
Reviewed May 7, 2008

I booked this b and b for a group of us that were going to galway for a night and must say it was a lovely place to stay, it was clean the staff were really helpful and friendly and the breakfast was good, what more can you ask for!

• Stayed: May 2008, traveled with friends
Reviewed January 12, 2008

We arrived into Galway without a reservation. Using our Rick Steve’s guidebook we called the College Crest Guest House. They had availability therefore we booked two nights. After arriving we sensed the property was not well run. We received our rooms and were immediately unimpressed. The floors were dirty, the bathroom was not clean, the room looked worn. Had we arrived earlier, we would have left that night. We stayed only one night, had breakfast and checked out early. It was apparent to us; someone other than the owner was running the property. We notified Rick Steves of our experience as well. I would not recommend this B&B.

• Stayed: May 2006, traveled with family
1  Thank ilmanrd
Reviewed January 20, 2007

Unfortunately our experience was really terrible. As the previous review says, there is a nice girl running the place - actually two student age girls with a baby were running it when we were there. After speaking with another B&B proprietor, I have come to find out that it is common in Galway for someone to own a B&B and bring foreign students in to run it for the season. I believe they were Russian. Anyway, that wasn't the bad part of our experience. We had not pre-booked accommodations before coming to Galway. We called at least three places (all recommended by Rick Steves Ireland 2006, which everyone seemed to be carrying!). College Crest had a vacancy. I confirmed two nights over the phone with the young lady. Upon arriving, we were exhausted and decided to stay (it was late). Shortly after looking around I regretted giving my credit card number. I was afraid to walk on the carpet in my bare feet and I can't be sure the linens were clean. The bathroom had A LOT of mold growing in the shower (which was my breaking point - see photo. It was worse that it looks in the photo). We stayed one (very non-restful) night. It was worse in the daylight. Breakfast was no better. Fortunately we were not charged for a second night (that we did not stay). Left first thing the next morning. I would not recommend ever staying here.

• Stayed: January 2007, traveled as a couple