“Ireland trip in hire car.”
Review of Abacus Guest House

and 1 more site!
Abacus Guest House
Ranked #32 of 189 Galway B&B and Inns
Reviewed July 15, 2013

Very friendly and helpful lovely clean room great shower great breakfast central for day tripping around that area. Would defiantly stay there again and spend more time around that area to have a better look at the west coast of Ireland. Thanks.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family

Reviewed June 12, 2013

I arrived in Galway on a Saturday evening, and the night of the Champions League final, and needless to say it was very difficult to find a room. After checking a couple places and hotels, I happened upon Abacus Guest House, and was I ever glad that I did! I would definitely recommend this place to any traveller:

* Great hospitality: the family who runs the house has years of B&B and hotel experience, which definitely shows. The rooms and house overall have the professional touches of a hotel, but with the charm and hospitality of a relatively small guest house. Simple things like an information packet in the room showing where points of interest, or live music spots in Galway made the stay more enjoyable. When I was leaving, I asked to make (and pay) for a long distance call to Dublin - the owner refused to take payment from me! They really care about the people who stay there, and want to make sure you feel at home.

* Competitive Rate: most rooms were sold out in Galway, and hotels were charging an arm and a leg (not to mention that they were all sold out). The owners at Abacus had one room left when I came in, but they charged me the normal rate, and not something artificially inflated. I was travelling alone, and they accommodated the price accordingly. I was very impressed.

* Good location: the location isn't right in the heart of Galway, which was perfectly fine. It's outside of the busy center, which allowed me a good night's rest. At the same time, it's close enough for a quick drive in to the center.

* CLEAN! This is my number one priority, and I must say that I was impressed. The bed and linens were fresh and crisp, the washroom was spotless, and the room in general was well kept.

* Good size of room: I was travelling alone, and was put into a double room, which had a comfortable bed and plenty of space. There was an area between the washroom and bedroom that had a closet (if you're staying for longer), and enough room for all of your belongings. This would definitely be a comfortable size if you're travelling in a pair.

* Tasty breakfast: breakfast was served hot and fresh in the morning. A good selection of fresh fruit, yogurt, and the Full Irish was perfect. I was encouraged to eat more, and was repeatedly offered more toast, juice, and food, which was nice to see.

* Room for improvement: the TV was rather small, but who really cares? I watched the Champions League final on it, and it was great, so no complaints there. The shower head could be a little higher pressure, but I think that's just us North Americans that have gotten used to that; the shower head at Abacus was better than most B&B I stayed at during my two weeks in Ireland.

Overall, a great stay. I would recommend this place because it is clean, great hospitality, and a good location to Galway. Don't hesitate.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed May 12, 2013

This B&B is one of the best I've ever seen. The decoration is brilliant.
Everything's clean, rooms are big, quiet and confortable, the shower is terrific.
The owners are always available, smilling nice and helpful.
The full Irish Breackfast served in the morning is generous and delicious.
To finish, I want to thanks a million the owners to make our stay as best as possible and I recommand this B&B to everyone who wanted to be in a quiet neighbourhood, not that far from the city centre (10mins by bus or 4mins by car) and who would like to discover Galway in great conditions!

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed April 29, 2013

We had a lovely night and fabulous Irish breakfast at Abacus B&B. Location was really good for us and the room lovely and large. Brid the owner couldn't have been more charming and helpful and even rang us to make sure we had a set of keys as she was due out for the evening. Breakfast was lovely and especially loved the fresh soda bread and white and black pudding. Perfect start to the day ! Next time we are in Galway we will be heading back to Abacus. Thanks for memorable stay Brid

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed February 10, 2013

We spent a very nice night at Abacus Guest House in January 2013. The room was warm, comfortable and very roomy. Our hostess was very helpful with directions to the City Centre and restaurant suggestions and breakfast was delicious. My husband is still talking about the warm and soft blankets.
We would certainly stay here again on our next trip.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed September 17, 2012 via mobile

Best breakfast we've had thus far in Ireland. Breege is very welcoming and genuine making you feel right at home. Our room was spacious and modern. We took the bus (short block away) downtown to the square, super easy. I would recommend staying here to anyone in Galway, it was perfect for us!

• Stayed: September 2012
Reviewed September 11, 2012

We really enjoyed our two-night stay at Abacus, and would have loved to stay longer, had our plans allowed. Breege, her husband and family were wonderful hosts- friendly, helpful, and including thoughtful considerations for our eldery parents. There is no substitute for the recommendations of locals-- such as restaurants, pubs, or suggested routes to explore the Connemara region.

The decor is warm and inviting, the rooms clean and comfortable. Best of all, there was plenty of hot water-- not always the case as we found elsewhere in Ireland... ; )

The location is just a few minutes by car or bus/cab to the city center. The bus stop is literally across the street, so pretty convenient that way. Being able to park and ride is a plus.

Room Tip: There is a spacious ground floor room that was perfect for my older in-laws (limited mobility, no st...