“What a gem!”

Ranked #7 of 46 Hotels in Galway
Minneapolis, Minnesota
“What a gem!”
Reviewed June 1, 2013

We were looking for a nice hotel that wasn't another US style chain hotel.
A lady at the local book store told us we should check out The House Hotel and we weren't disappointed.
The basics you want to know - clean, amazing staff and modern amenities are all present.
The food was great, the cocktails fantastic and the decor modern boutique.
We are thinking of going back to Galway again, just so that we can stay at the hotel again.
It's perfectly located for town and local pubs. The seafront too!
The only thing it can be faulted for (and had to really think about this) is the car parking which is a discounted spot at the local multistory car park around the corner from the hotel.

Room Tip: Balcony with views are available for extra $$$
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Kester B

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (132)
Austin, Texas
Reviewed May 31, 2013

This place was recommended to us by the TI office and was a little pricier than we originally wanted to spend. But the hotel was in a great area - walking distance to the Spanish Arch and other sights (but what isn't walking distance in Galway). The staff was extremely friendly and the hotel stunning.
Our room was large and modern and the décor was very 'Alice in Wonderland'. The hotel bar was very busy in the evening, although we went out for dinner. The breakfast was delicious. The only negative about this hotel was that there is no parking - we had to park in a public garage a long block away.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
Dallas, Texas
Reviewed May 30, 2013

This place was great, loved the decor, can't beat the location and the restaurant/bar were really good. We did not have enough time here, but this hotel provided a great room with ample space and a very updated/modern bathroom that makes you feel like you are staying in a suite anywhere in America - very roomy with all the amenities you could want. As with all European hotels the elevators are smallish and there's a little bit of effort to get through doors/hallways to get to your room, but once there - perfect. The check-in staff, breakfast staff, afternoon reception - all great. If you are wanting an old school experience this is not for you, but I would highly recommend. Location is unbelievable as you can walk to every restaurant/bar/shopping/sight you would want to. Parking isn't exactly convenient but it didn't bother me and I am easily annoyed.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Manchester, UK
Reviewed May 29, 2013

Stayed here to 3 nights in May. The hotel is not particularly easy to find. However, once here I was made to feel very welcome and given a room on the first floor (just as well since the lift was out of order). The room itself was a good size and kited-it out in a boutique-style. The bathroom was small (and only contained a shower), but everything worked and fitted together well. The 'free' Wifi was good too.

Breakfast each morning started at 8 AM, but the staff on the reception desk were at pains to point out that the buffet was available from 7. The range and quality of food available was pretty good. Even when I was not able to have the cooked breakfast (8 AM really is too late), I certainly did not go wanting.

Overall, this was a pretty comfortable experience. For my liking the rooms were a touch on the warm side and the traffic noise meant that opening a window at night was not really a viable option. The room did contain air-conditioning but even at full whack, it did not seem to have any effect on the temperature. These niggles aside, I would definitely try this one again.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank rreece
Reviewed May 28, 2013 via mobile

The House Hotel is a lovely boutique hotel in Galway City.

Very close to the main shopping street and Eyre Square. Parking is not on site but in a garage 5 minutes walk away and was €7 for 24 hours.

The rooms are nicely decorated, some with balconies with obstructed views of the harbour.

The staff were helpful and I experienced no issues with service. Breakfast was included in the rate and was okay, what you'd expect with a good selection.

The restaurant doesn't have a great selection on the menu so we didn't dine there so cant comment on the quality.

The location is great, just around the corner from Shop Street and near plenty of bars and restaurants.

Salthill beach is only a 5 minute drive away too.

The rooms are nicely decorated, the beds are comfy and our double room had probably a king bed or a really big double, not two singles pushed together! But the pillows, like most hotels, are pretty hard and difficult to sleep on.

The A/C / heating doesn't go below 17 degrees and I found the room very hot and stuffy which made it uncomfortable to sleep although I have stayed here twice in two separate rooms and only experienced this on the second stay.

Noise from the corridor is very loud but it wasn't an issue as we had quiet neighbours, but you can clearly hear people's conversations and doors slamming, during a busy period this could be a nuisance.

Traffic noise was also very loud when it passed but thankfully it seemed to be a quiet street.

It is not the cheapest hotel in the area but based on reviews of other hotels seems like a good option as others are more basic.

There was not a great selection of TV channels.

Galway is a lovely city and well worth the trip and although the hotel isn't perfect it is nice and clean and I will more than likely stay again

• Stayed May 2013
galwayguests, General Manager at The House Hotel, responded to this review, May 29, 2013
Dear Valued Guest,

On behalf of all the team here at The House Hotel I would like to thank you for taking the time to leave a review following your stay.

Thank you for your nice comments; I’m delighted that this was a return stay and one that you enjoyed. Our location is key to us and we do pride ourselves in being in the middle of the amazing atmosphere that Galway has to offer.

Just in relation to a few of your concerns – we are currently looking at our wine menu and making additions to it – I do hope when you do return again there will be a more extensive choice.

We have a control at reception for our A/C and it has a three options re: control – it may have been the case on this occasion that the A/C may have been on the wrong setting at reception – we are looking into this.

Thank you again for your kind review and we do hope to have you return to The House Hotel once again.

Reviewed May 28, 2013

I booked this hotel for my cousins hens as we got a very good package. We didnt want to do the cocktail class but the hotel gave us the 2 cocktails for when we all meet up the start of the day. A few members of the group didnt arrive until that evening and the hotel kindly gave them vouchers for the cocktails they missed. The finger food I ordered was amazing I think it was a little priced as it was Eur20 per platter and a platter was supposely to fill 20 people. Only 14 of us where there and I ordered 3 platters and there was no way these would of filled 60 people but the food was amazing. As it was my cousin hens we were given room 116 and this was a suite absoulatly amazing room. The bathroom was huge and so clean. Really loved the girly feeling I got from the hotel .
I ordered balloons for my cousin but unfortunatly one of the weights came off and it went up to the ceiling. It couldnt be brought down sooooo if you in the hotel have a look up the high celing and a lovely pink ballon display is there.
The meal that night was very busy we had over 25 people sitting to the meal and as the resturant is in the same area as bar it got very crowed very fast. At one stage a woman was sitting on my shoulder and i had to ask her to get off. My advice would be to have your meal as early as possible especially if you there on a saturday night. The music was great. Mix for all ages. The breakfast was also lovely.
I will be returning back for another hens in September and have to say I cannot fault the hotel.
the barman are very good looking to so eye candy on the night goes along way.

Looking forward to my return

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
Dear Guest,

Thank you so much for taking the time to leave such a lovely review of your recent stay here at The House Hotel. We do enjoy our Hens arriving at the weekend and it's lovely to hear that you all enjoyed it.

Let's hope you can make it back to us again without the worry of having to organise a big group!!

Sydney, Australia
Reviewed May 25, 2013

My friend booked this hotel for us and I was delighted as it looks like a lovely hotel!

The website pictures are true to what the hotel is like! Really lovely, clean, modern but with a funky twist. The bedroom was lovely and clean and so was the hotel in general. This hotel would have made 4-5 stars if these things had not let it down.

- When checking in we were left waiting and wondering around. There was no one at the front house to check us in. We couldn't find anyone to ask and eventually the receptionist turned up.

- Although I love music and I'm young, getting to sleep was a nightmare. I have stayed in hotels with loud bars downstairs but this was another thing altogether! It was soooooo loud!

- Getting served at the bar for cocktails was a looooong wait, then once they were ordered they took even longer to get to us.

Things I liked about the hotel:

-Decor was really nice

- great central location

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
Dear Jane,

From all of us here at The House Hotel, thank you for your recent informative review left on TripAdvisor.

We are delighted to hear you enjoyed the decor and location of the hotel. It can be extremely convenient for shoppers and clubbers alike.

We are very dissappointed to hear you were waiting for a Front of House representative to greet you upon arrival. This is a very rare and isolated incident to which we can only apologise profusely for and I can assure you this will not happen again.

Regarding the music we have on a Friday and Saturday night from 10.30pm -2am, we deeply and genuinely regret any inconvenience caused to you. We are very rigid in our approach to allocating rooms on the weekends and we did not make it our intentions to disrupt your sleep.

Our DJ is aware of our guests who are not going out at the weekends, therefore we turn the bass on the music down. However, going forward we will have stringint rules in place to avoid such comments as these in future and again we apologise for the interrupted sleep.

In relation to our famous cocktails, our mixologists take great pride in making the best cocktails in Galway city and have won numerous awards to back this up. They take a little bit longer than your average alcoholic beverage to prepare but we take great pride in making certain they are the best in the city and hope they were worth the wait.

We do have waitress service in the lobby so you don't have to get up and wait at the bar. We do recognise they take a bit longer and as we are such a popular place for the cocktails, we are working on ways to reduce the wait at the bar for our thirsty guests adn as of this weekend we are trialing a bottle bar in the lobby area of the hotel.

We genuinely do hope you will be back in future to acknowledge all of these issues have been addressed as we take on board all comments from our valued customers.