“Some aspects very nice”
Review of The House Hotel

The House Hotel
Ranked #9 of 46 Hotels in Galway
Reviewed May 9, 2013

For first time visitors to Galway, the location of this hotel is perfect. An easy 1 block stroll to Merchants Road's fun pubs, restaurants, shops.

The lobby is a bit Alice in Wonderland, and dated, but the rooms do not reflect the same. They are pleasingly mod, small and decently appointed. This was our first encounter with energy-saving lighting—the key card doubles as a power main for the room. Slide your card into a wall dock in order to get electricity. The hall lights are on motion sensors. Smart.

While the room looks cool, a couple drawbacks. The bathroom is not well lit for doing make-up, ladies. Luckily there is good natural light in the room during the day, huge windows. Also, the beds (ours and our friends') were quite hard and with thin pillows. Not the best night's sleep. We were on floor 2 out of 3, but heard no noise at all on a Tuesday.

There is a cute lobby bar, and restaurant. I didn't use either, but two friends reported over-cooked eggs, one said breakfast was the "best yet in Ireland."

For our purposes - a quick stop in Galway - the hotel met our needs.

Add'l points:
• Garage parking two blocks away, discount with hotel stamp
• Hotel management, please check doors at night. We returned at midnight to find the lobby door literally open to the street. There didn't seem to be anyone hanging around - seems a safe area - but an unlocked door can be a bit disconcerting.

Room Tip: Ask for an upper floor room (2 or 3) and request a quiet part of building. This is a popular place...
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
galwayguests, General Manager at The House Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded May 15, 2013

Dear Guest,

First and foremost please let me say thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay here at The House hotel.

Our location is key, and as you mentioned, the we are an easy stroll to the main shops, bar & restaurants, something which we are extremely grateful for.

I'm disappointed that you didn't like our lobby, it is one area which we receive great feedback on and also an area we take great pride in. We are always adding new pieces of unique furtuniture, or exceptional pieces of art.

I'm delighted that you liked our rooms, we have taken note of the lighting issue in the bathrooms and will certainly have a look at it.

We pride ourselves in our bar & restaurant and I'm glad you thought they were nice. I have spoken with our head Chef re: your concerns on breakfast. This is usually an area in which we excel and I would hate to think that standards would drop.

We have Night Porters on dty throughout the night, every night, and I will endeavor to speak with each of these re: your concerns on the hotel entrance.

Overall I'm glad you enjoyed your stay here at The House hotel and I would hope that you may return again in the near future.

I hope you enjoyed the rest of your trip around Ireland and you returned home with some fantastic memories.

Warmest regards,
Margaret Jenkins

Write a ReviewReviews (1,149)

Reviewed May 9, 2013

Came in on a Saturday night and had some of the most amazing Pink Champagne Mojitos!! Even though the bar was pretty busy the bar staff were very attentive and had no problem with us ordering 3 different cocktails. Each were amazing. Great atmosphere with music if people want to dance or tables if you want to take a break. Definately the perfect spot for a few well deserved cocktails.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with friends

Dear Cocktai Lover,

Thank you so much for taking the time to leave a review – we are delighted to be noted as one of Galway’s best locations for delicious cocktails and we do strive to always stay ahead of the game.

I’m glad you enjoyed your night and I will pass on your kind remarks to our mixologists and bar men!

Hope to see you back again enjoying another weekend in The House Cocktail Bar!

Kindest regards,

Reviewed May 7, 2013

Spent an overnight recently because we we're going to a special party ,the lobby was very inviting with it's beautiful pink couches .The receptionist was very friendly and welcoming .Our room was nicely decorated and comfortable . Breakfast was freshly cooked and there was plenty of choices on the buffet table. Would highly recommend this hotel.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 7, 2013

The decor of this hotel is fab but very girly. I stayed here for me hen which it was perfect for. However I don't think I'd be choosing it for a romantic meal or stay due to the number of hens there!
The rooms were very nice with lovely shower. However we booked a suite for three and the fold out bed was beyond uncomfortable.
We had a meal there, cocktails and breakfast, all of which were lovely. I would definitely go there for a girls weekend again.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed May 6, 2013

While the hotel was very nice the lobby and rooms were gergous and the breakfast was great great location
.But the big problem for me is the music that went on until 2.30 on the sunday nite.Yes i do know that this is a party hotel but some people do like to sleep and this was impossible on the night that i stayed and i do know that it was the same the night before.

Also our room was very warm and the ac was not working great but then that is just me as i like my room to be very cold.I dont think i would stay here again if the music was going to be as loud again and i could not recommend it because of this

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed May 5, 2013

Very nice hotel, excellent location. I doubt there is a better hotel choice in Galway and I thoroughly enjoyed my weekend stay here, but then i moved to an absolutely lovely little B&B for the duration of my 3 week stay which I enjoyed even more.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed May 5, 2013

This hotel is right in the middle of Galway, on a small town block in the middle of the one way system, though it is so quiet inside you would never know. There is a little lay-by in front to deposit luggage, and the hotel has a discount arrangement with a multi-storey car park nearby which worked well. The reception was very friendly and helpful, and our (many) bags were quickly delivered to the room.
The ground floor has an expansive lounge, bar and restaurant. The meals are excellent everywhere and we had a tasty dinner, excellent sandwiches and some lovely breakfasts. It is so nice to have eggs properly cooked to order! The main walking streets of Galway are a stone’s throw away and the cosmopolitan charm of this university town and cultural centre pervades the hotel.
The room was large with a generous bathroom – one can see that quite some investment has gone into modern rooms with up to date facilities. We had a wonderful stay and called through to eat on our return journey through Galway – in summary an enjoyable place to stay, well located with modern rooms and an excellent restaurant.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple

Dear Valued Customer,

Thank you for in-depth review on tripadvisor

We appreciate the importance of traveler’s comments and we appreciate your beautiful and concise description of your stay.

We pride ourselves on the service we value each individual guest we greet through our doors and I am delighted that you thoroughly enjoyed your stay.

I will pass on your kind remarks to each member of the team, throughout the various departments.

I do sincerely hope that we will welcome you back to The House hotel in the very near future.

Kindest,