“Compliments to the chef”
Review of The House Hotel

The House Hotel
Ranked #7 of 46 Hotels in Galway
Reviewed November 22, 2012

I booked a meal here for a family event. I had reserved an area in the lounge area first and dinner in the restaurant after. When we arrived the lounge area was cold so I asked the manager if it was possible to put the heat up. He did so and it was more comfortable. One thing I found a bit strange about the restaurant was that the TV was on in the background and this did not add to the atmosphere at all. Also the background music was noisy and harsh however the manager did change it at my request. We went for the three course meal which is very good value. The food was delicious. However I did order four side dishes for the group and that never arrived. The waiting staff apologised and offered complimentary tea and coffee. Overall our experience was made positive by the really nice flavoursome food but the management and waiting staff could do with paying a little more attention to the service delivery and to the little things that make a difference.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled with friends
There are newer reviews for The House Hotel

Reviewed November 20, 2012

We are staying here now and so far everything has been perfect. The room is comfy, love the reading chair, good shower although a bit small. Nice decor, simple with a little flair. I have heard the breakfast is good too!

Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed November 20, 2012

Just returned from 2 fabulous days at the house hotel. Fantastic situation right at the bottom of shop street so you can park the car and not have to take it out for either shopping, restaurants or pubs. The decor is quirky, and the food absolutly fantastic, especially the breakfast. We booked a deal including breakfast one lunch and one dinner with 2 nights and it was great value. The bistrot at night was lovely and candles with the lovely seating made for a great atmosphere. The restaurnat staff were lovely, great sevice. The only down side was that i had emailed the hotel 2 over a few days and never got a reply, i eventaually rang and was told they never received my emails..i double checked the address and it was right, you maybe they should have a look at this as if i was only enquiring i prob would have gone elsewhere. Overall have a great few days and would recommend it .. so hard to find a little boutique hotel like this !!

1  Thank Jessi30
Reviewed November 19, 2012

I stayed at the house hotel for 2 days in Sept and liked it enough to book it again for a 5 night stay in October. I always try to avoid the big chain hotels, if possible and try to find a more individualised place to stay. The House is very welcoming -- fun decor throughout, comfy beds, and you can control the heat/open the windows of your room. Staff was friendly, although the turnover at the front desk was so rapid, that I'd ask a question and when I returned for the answer, someone else would be at the desk.

Breakfasts were great --- lovely treacle bread, smoked salmon, and chunks of ham, and great baked goods in the buffet. Cooked breakfast was good too, but the coffee was pretty weak most mornings (although some mornings were better than others).

Very centrally located -- lots of lovely restaurants within a five minute walk. Seafood place on Kieran's lane was fabulous.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank 33PatriciaG
Reviewed November 16, 2012

We recently booked to stay at the house hotel .. It looked great on the website but as a city centre hotel we were not too sure ... Wonderful surprise!! The hotel is at a very high standard! I wanted to ditch the man & call the girls and have a few cocktails!! The room was to a vey high standard .. And I mean my high standard. We had a large room with the most unique head board I've ever seen made of curtain .. Stunning! Or massive bathroom had a double sink ! Very handy! All rooms are sound proofed and are very warm and cosy. Wifi is available everywhere which is a must on my trips.
We dined in the restuarant and availed of the great offer of 2 course & a cocktail for €15 !! Yummy streak! I enjoyed a leisurely morning in the lobby while the hubby went about his business. Scones & fresh coffee - heaven!
Overall I was very Impressed by this small hotel! Excellent staff make it a truly magically stay!
Il be back but next time with the girls!!

Room Tip: Ask for the deluxe room of you want more bathroom space!!
1  Thank Biawest
Reviewed November 15, 2012

Stayed here recently on way back from Connemara. Lovely staff (thanks Cliodhna at reception). Really comfy bedroom, small room but clean and well equipped and absolutely fine for a city centre location in a boutique hotel. Lovely food and cocktails from a really well priced midweek menu and a gorgeous breakfast. Total pleasure to stay here and we will be back

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank Rita S
galwayguests, General Manager at The House Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded November 16, 2012

Dear Guest,

Thank you for choosing to stay with us and for taking the time to review us.

Thank you for your kind words regarding the breakfast and I will pass your compliments onto our chef. Also thank you for your kind comments on our staff, we aim for our customer service skills to be second to none.

We are delighted that you enjoyed your stay with us and we look forward to welcoming you back again soon.

Best Regards,
Margaret

Reviewed November 14, 2012

We travel extensively and based largely on the reviews on trip advisory, we where excited about our stay at the House Hotel. Rooms are well put together and comfortable. On our first night the room thermostat control did not work. It was either all on or all off. We alternated between turning of the control and opening the windows to cool down and turning on the heat to stay warm. Needless to say manually adjusting the temperate in this manner every few hours does not provide for comfortable sleep. When this issue was raised with the staff a number of times during the next day no serious attempt was made to resolve it. We experienced the next night with the same problem again. When I raised the issue with management the following morning my comments where discounted (and was told they never had problems and I must be mistaken). Every hotel will have problems from time to time. It is when they have management does not want feedback that they loose me. To add insult to injury a discount of about 4% was grudgingly applied to the account for two sleep deprived nights. Clearly they have lost my confidence in their desire of looking after their client. Try an alternate hotel if you want a good nights sleep.

Room Tip: Don't stay at this Hotel

Dear valued guest,

I just want to thank you personally for taking the time and effort to feedback your thoughts following your stay here at The House Hotel.

We strive to attain full satisfaction from all our guests at all times and fully regret your experience on this occasion. Please be assured that your comments were at all times genuinely taken on board by staff and management, and our full efforts were made in attempting to make your stay a comfortable one.

Our Maintenance Technician was called on to alleviate the issue and was it was expected that the heating had returned to the satisfied settings. I have spoken to each member of the team and have discussed the different points with them. To note we did our best to accommodate you by offering to move you to a room of similar standard on your second night to ensure you would enjoy a full night’s sleep.

I am disappointed to hear of your thoughts regarding our hotel and regret any displeasure you experienced during your time; we aim for our customer service skills to be second to none.

If you would like to discuss any of the points in more detail then I would be more than happy to do so at your convenience and hope to change your opinion of our establishment in the future.

Thanks again for taking the time give us your feedback.

Kindest regards,