“Party like a rockstar, sleep like a baby”
Review of The House Hotel

The House Hotel
Ranked #8 of 46 Hotels in Galway
Reviewed April 18, 2011

I visited Ireland for the first time in April. I spent 4 days in Galway and the House Hotel. The moment I walked in I was greeted by what they call "a Galway girl", Debbie. She, along with, Lisa, John, Joey and the rest of the staff were extremely hospitable and gracious hosts: truly embodied Irish hospitality!

Service: top notch, staff had great recommendations for me!
Food: the food was very good, try the seafood chowder, you'll love it!
Rooms: very comfortable, clean and quiet
Location: the right distance to / from the caic (fun)
Decor: vibrant colors, a very hip boutique hotel, something you'd easily find in New York or San Francisco

I enjoyed that the hotel was hosting different types of events during my visit which tells me that they are well known in the community. When I return to Ireland, I will be staying at the House Hotel. You should as well.

Cheers-
MC

• Stayed: April 2011, traveled solo

Reviewed April 16, 2011

I was planning a trip for my family (2 adult siblings aged 30 and 27) and our parents, and had read such good reviews about the House Hotel that I decided to book our two nights there. I couldn't have been happier about this hotel-- the atmosphere in the lobby is warm, inviting, bright and cozy and our rooms were all clean and beautiful too. The breakfast was delicious too, and kept us all plenty full almost until dinner! The location is awesome too-- we were able to walk all through Galway and end up steps away from the hotel after dinner and enjoying music at one of the local pubs at night.

I have to make a special mention about the wonderful staff. I am sorry that I don't remember the name of this particular person, but she truly went out of her way for me. She recalled that I had inquired about a lost hat and glove set (that I had recently purchased on a trip to the Aran Islands) and a few days later when they turned up she called me. She remembered that I had inquired about them, and then mailed them to me back home in Pittsburgh. What a wonderful person!! The staff at the front desk was also so helpful in recommending tours, places to eat, attractions, etc.

I'm not sure if we had a special mid-week rate, but the value was unbelievable-- 35 euro per person per night, including our breakfast. We just loved the hotel and I will definitely stay here again next time I'm in Galway (hopefully sooner than later!)

• Stayed: March 2011, traveled with family
Reviewed April 14, 2011

the location is very good - decor is quirky, colourful and lively - botique hotel style. The staff were very friendly and well trained. I could not find any fault and have recommended the hotel to many people since my visit.

• Stayed: March 2011, traveled with friends
Reviewed April 8, 2011

Had this hotel recommended to us by a waiter in a nearby restaurant. We walked in with no reservation and were given a room straight away, the Super Deluxe Double Room. Amazing!!!! The decor, the comfort and the plushness, we were truly spoiled!!! Will definitely be back!

Reviewed April 6, 2011

We stayed here in March 2011 on a very busy night. Staff were very helpful expecially the girl who checked us in and gave us lots of info on places to go in Galway. Room was so quite and comfortable that we almost slept past breakfast. Breakfast menu very impressive with a good choice. The house hotel would be my first choice for my next stay in Galway.

Reviewed March 16, 2011

Stayed in The House Hotel with my partner. Booked 1 night and ended up staying a second. The rooms were excellent. The decor of the hotel was very classy and modern. Staff were very friendly and the cocktails were just delcious!! Only negative we had was the breakfast which was just awful and due to this we didnt try lunch or dinner there. Breakfast menu advised grilled sausages and rashers but when it arrived the grease was pouring out of the sausages! The poached eggs on both days were not runny and like a hard boiled egg. On the second day my partner nearly vomitted when he tried the eggs benidict with a hollandaise sauce that tasted gone off! Besides the horrible breakfast, we would definatly recommend this hotel and will stay there again.

• Stayed: March 2011, traveled as a couple
galwayguests, Manager at The House Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded March 30, 2011

Dear Guest,
Thank you for taking the time to review our Hotel.
We are delighted that you had such an enjoyable time with us that you extended your stay; we have many guests who decide to extend there stay with us.
Thank you for your lovely comments about our staff, we do our utmost to ensure that we provide excellent customer service.
Our Cocktails are very popular especially our Cocktail Making Classes which are booked out weeks in advance!
We are deeply upset about your comments on our Breakfast, this is highly unusual as you can see from previous guests customers our Breakfast are one of there favourite parts of our hotel as it is not a buffet style. However we take your comments very seriously & we apologise that both mornings you did not enjoy your breakfast, this is something we have taken very seriously & the Head Chef as been advised and breakfast has been closely monitored to ensure high standards.

We look forward to seeing you again soon.

Reviewed February 21, 2011

For travellers looking for something a bit different in a city centre hotel, this place is the way to go. The atmosphere is warm, friendly and inviting as soon as you walk through the door. The decor is funky, bright and cheerful - much like the staff!

Food is very good,both our evening meal and breakfast were top notch and menu prices were reasonable.

Bedrooms, as others have said, are undeniably on the small side but for a hotel slap bang in the city centre, it's a small compromise...our standard room still had everything needed and some nice extra touches - nice decor, lovely cosmetics, a really good rainwater power shower, plenty of TV channels and free WIFI.

Parking is in a nearby multi-storey carpark (€8 for 24 h). It wasn't an issue for us. Once we dropped the car off, we walked everywhere.

We stayed over a weekend, and the place was very lively on Saturday night, with several different parties on - one 30th, one hen night and other groups. There was live music and definitely a good-natured party atmosphere in the bar/restaurant. The bar specialises in cocktails (lovely), which is probably draws the party crowd. I guess it goes with the Latin Quarter district of Galway on a Saturday night - Galway is a party town at the weekend - but it might be an issue for someone looking for a quiet weekend break. Having said that, the soundproofing in the room was good and we didn't hear any street noise or music from the bar in our room and slept well.

All in all, we loved The House Hotel and will definitely be back.

• Stayed: November 2010, traveled as a couple