“Seabreeze Lodge”

Ranked #3 of 187 Galway B&B and Inns
Sudbury, ON, Canada
“Seabreeze Lodge”
Reviewed May 13, 2009

My wife and I reserved a room from the 2nd to the 5th of May on the strength of the very nice website. As we came from Lladudno, Wales, and had taken the ferry from Holyhead we arrived around 8pm, somewhat late but we had communicate this to the owner. The taxi from the train station delivered us at the wrong address (there are two properties in the same block with the same name). Our problems started after I pressed the door bell. No answer. Then I tried the intercom and after quite some time someone (as it turned out the proprietor) answered ansking for my name. In the mean time we were soaked standing outside the locked door. A little later the owner himself arrived on a bicycle and informed us that we were at number 2 instead of number 9. We marched to number 9 and after being admitted quizzed about our surname again which, as it turned out caused difficulties for the mangement. Having just enjoyed a wonderful stay at Abbey Lodge in Lladudno this was not the kind of welcome I expected.

We were shown our room, which was a good size and clean but hardly palacial I told Mr. Frank, the proprietor that I felt not welcome by the reception we had got. Unfortunately that was not a good start. Instead of being asked what might be done to rectify this impression we were treated to a lengthy dissertation that all this was my fault. I had a strage surname (true), I was tired (some truth to this obsevation) and we were wet (quite true). In brief, it was all my fault. After using the proffered towels to dry our heads I saw that this was probably not the place we wanted to be and I informed Mr. Frank that we were thinking about cancelling. My wife and I went for a walk as the rain had by now become a drizzle and decided to inform Mr. Frank on our return about our decision to stay just for the night and look elsewhere. Not a good idea. Another lecture on my shortcomings already listed above. Well, we stayed for the night, skipped breakfast and found another B&B.
The whole unfortunate mess cost us another 150 Euros and a long e-mail from Mr. Frank explaining it all over again and exhorting the vitues of the Tempurpedic mattrasses. Of course, as Mr. Frank explained, all this had been my fault.
Others may have had a wonderful time at the Seabreeze Lodge but it left a sour taste in my mouth. Surely, a guest comment could be an opportunity to change things for the better. And at no time was I anything but polite. As for being on the bay that is just another slight of hand. It would be if it weren't behind a main road that runs between the Seabreeze and the the bay.

11 Thank Peter9953

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (133)
  • Polish first
Spain
Reviewed April 30, 2009

Incredible stay. I want to live in Galway now. I love Salthill and Galway and I am blown away by how nice everyone is there. The kindest people I have ever met and the B&B are a perfect example of this. We all became great friends in just minutes and they recommended great restaurants and pubs and helped us catch the bus and arranged the BEST bus tour to the Cliffs of Moher ever. I need to return asap because it was the most relaxing and blissful trip of my life. Breakfast was amazing (buffet and your choice of full irish hot breakfast, french toast, oats, etc. made especially for you) and the bed was so comfortable. After breakfast the first morning they just arranged a small bus tour to come pick us up and we were off to the breathtaking site of Cliffs of Moher!! I love Galway and Sea Breeze Lodge!

• Stayed April 2009, traveled with friends
3 Thank PazyAmor7
Florida
Reviewed April 22, 2009

I stayed at the Sea-Breeze Lodge for two nights while in Salthill Ireland (a suburb of Galway but not far away). The hosts were wonderful and very acommodating (made you feel like you were a member of the family and suggested great places to see and to eat) and the breakfast was great. The room was very nice. I had a room with a view of the bay. The bathroom was large and there was a skylight in the room I stayed in which was on the third floor. The lounge was very cozy and the breakfast area warm and welcoming. I would stay there again in a minute if I went back to Galway.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled with friends
3 Thank PrissyFlorida
Blackwood, NJ
Reviewed April 21, 2009

Excellent B & B. Freddy the host was most gracious. Breakfast was the best. You do need a car from there as it's a little bit of a drive into Salthill area, not a far drive at all, but a long walk. Althought my father-in-law and I did hike up the road to the local pub for a late nighter! Very clean, well run. The beds were super comfortable. And to the few that had somewhat negative comments about Freddy - not quite sure where they are coming from on that. In fact, I'd say to Freddy if he changed his interaction due to that, please don't. People who go to B & B's want a little more personal interaction with others, else we could stay at a hotel - right? Overall an outstanding B&B in Salthill. I spent a summer in Salthill as a kid, and it's very busy now - even in April. I can't imagine what the summer must be like. So you must weigh the location (i.e. traffic, parking) in your decision. If you have a car, most certainly this is the place to stay as it's an easy shot over to Salthill or Galway. Decent restuarants in area. I recommend Sea Breeze highly - very nice, great hosts, great breakfasts, very clean. Can't go wrong staying here. My mother's family lives very close and I would defintely stay here again if I ever get back to the Salthill/Galway area.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled with family
3 Thank ftrasser
West Sussex, UK
Reviewed April 21, 2009

It was our first time in Ireland and had a wonderful stay at Sea Breeze, we felt very welcome as soon as we arrived and it seemed as if we were coming home! The room was just perfect and the Breakfast is excellent! (Traditional Irish breakfast is excellent and try the French Toasts with golden syrup!) Freddy is a great host and a wonderful piano player... It makes breakfast an even better experience! Sea breeze is also in a ideal place, allowing us to visit both Connemara and the Cliffs of Moher.
We would recommend it to anyone wanting to visit Co. Galway and Co. Clare, it is the ideal place to stay... Simply the best!!

• Stayed April 2009, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Xosout
NY, NY
Reviewed April 17, 2009

Sea Breeze Lodge is a wonderful B&B establishment that makes you feel right at home as you walk through the door. Michelle, Freddy, and Monica are so accommodating and friendly. They will help you in anyway they can. My room was immaculately clean and very comfortable. The location is only a short walk away from the Promenade in Salthill, Co. Galway. The Promenade will also lead you directly into Galway City Centre. Every morning I ate breakfast in a beautiful sunroom. With 7 different breakfast choices prepared deliciously to pick from and a full buffet of pastries, cereals, breads, scones, croissants, and fruit salad. Made me think, "How did I get so lucky?" I also used their front sitting room to write the book I was working on. The Lodge is quiet and welcoming in that way. When you walk out the front door of Sea Breeze you are staring at Galway Bay. The way the sun hits the water is indescribable in its beauty. I cannot say enough about this wonderful establishment! Thank you for such a relaxing wonderful stay!

• Stayed April 2009, traveled solo
3 Thank Tara93
Onalaska, Wisconsin
Reviewed April 13, 2009

From the delicious and beautiful breakfast to the clean and comfortable rooms with plush bedding and towels, every aspect of Sea Breeze was just wonderful. But the best aspect of all was the proprietor and his staff. Freddy, Michelle and Monica were kind, generous, knowledgeable and fun to be around. They offered help with transportation issues, restaurant advice and just enjoyed having comfortable conversation with their patrons. I would very hightly recommend this B & B to anyone who will be traveling to Galway. It is second to none! Absoluetly fabuous and one of our best memories of our trip to Ireland. Perfection!!!!!!

• Stayed April 2009, traveled with family