“Pity about Freddy”

Ranked #3 of 186 Galway B&B and Inns
Wrexham, United Kingdom
“Pity about Freddy”
Reviewed November 26, 2008

For some years Galway and the 'Oyster Festival' has been high on our ‘Must Do’ list so in September 2008 we were delighted when some planned quality time for my wife and me allowed us to spend a few days travelling around Ireland and ending in Galway to fulfill the dream. The visit to Ireland did not disappoint Irish charm and hospitality sets very high standards and raises ones tourist expectations which is possible why on our fourth and final morning of the Galway sector of our trip we drove away from the Sea-Breeze Lodge and agreed that our overall rating of the establishment was ‘average’.

Both my wife and I have always been reluctant to post disapproving comments on sites such as Trip Advisor indeed this comment would never have been written had it not been for a rather annoying Email which we received two months after our visit soliciting our comments and providing the web link to Trip Advisor, this highlights the disconcerting aspect of the establishment. Freddy is an ‘In Your Face Ego Manic’.

On the positive side our booking was handled efficiently, indeed when we delayed our arrival in Galway by a day the cancellation of what would have been our first night was processed without penalty.

Our room was clean and well appointed, and the breakfast choice was excellent.

The web site is satisfactory for most information except that the directions given and the map provided may well be sufficient for someone who knows the area but proved inadequate for us, statements such as ‘Go past that hotel for about another mile or so, you'll reach a "T" Junction. We're just before that junction on the right’. Not a major criticism just a lack of clarity that if improved upon would be of assistance to first time visitors.

Despite the inference that Salthill’s promenade is ‘within walking distance’ the actual distance was not something that either my wife or I would contemplate as an enjoyable evening stroll to one of the suggested restaurants. Be warned evening meals require a transportation method other than walking.

So why average?

The negativity of the establishment is the constant intrusions of Freddy the owner. Whilst the breakfast choice was excellent I prefer to share my meals with my wife rather than having lengthy and inane conversations with a comparative stranger. When Freddy wasn’t endeavoring to engage breakfast guests in conversation he ‘treated’ one and all to his piano playing and God forbid when he wasn’t seated at the piano his classical repertoire was the sole choice being played on the audio system for the duration of our stay.

• Stayed September 2008, traveled as a couple
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Freddy121, Owner, Manager. at Sea-Breeze Lodge, responded to this review, December 3, 2008
Dear guest,

Thank you for taking the time to write this lengthy review and sorry we did not live up to your expectations.
Virtually every Bed & Breakfast encounters customer complaints from time to time. Sometimes it is easy to get caught up in the complaints and to lose track of how many satisfied customers say nothing at all.
Even worse, sometimes it is hard to remember just how valuable a customer complaint can be to the establishment. Contrary to how it may feel to be the recipient of a customer complaint, it is a wonderful opportunity if embraced with commitment and integrity: To turn customer complaints into valuable assets, one needs to first listen to their comments. Thus my E mail asking you if you could please spare few minutes to share your opinion/experience with other travelers on Trip Advisor. I also mentioned in my E mail to you that we appreciate every review, whether positive or not-so-positive. My first priority is to understand the personal impact of the problem with the guest, if there's any. While trying to listen to the underlying message of your complaint I can only see that the frustration expressed is only the result of some kind of dynamic impact other than the issue itself.

Thank you by the way for calling me " Ego Maniac" : "A fool shows his annoyance at once, but a wise man overlooks an insult." "Benjamin Franklin".

Typically, staying at a bed and breakfast offers a more personal experience than staying at a hotel. If you choose to, it involves interacting directly with the innkeeper. While many guests wrote in their reviews that they were made feel at home I still believe that you can please some of the people some of the time, but you can't please all of the people all of the time.
I am a passionate person who loves meeting new people and this is why I chose to run a bed and breakfast. Many guests arrived as welcomed strangers and left as friends. While I can say that I enjoyed meeting almost every person who walked into my home, I speak ill of no man, but speak all the good I know of most of them.

They say " The beauty is in the eyes of the beholder" I say : “I have met the enemy, and it is the eyes of some people.”
The root cause of your complaint is obviously me, your host. This gives me the opportunity to implement changes that could avoid a re- occurrence of such a problem : Maybe I should ignore people while they are having a valuable time with their partners and be considered an unfriendly and un-welcoming host. Maybe then I should open a hotel not a B&B.

By the way, the piano playing on the audio system was not my classical repertoire, I wish it was. I would take it as a compliment though, thank you. In fact it was not classical at all. The C.D is called " Alone " for Hagood Hardy and it is a minor chart hit from the mid 70's.

Respectfully,
Freddy

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (126)
  • Polish first
Pennsylvania
Reviewed November 26, 2008

Room was disappointing. Even though it was new, it was soo small!! The bathroom was a turn-a-round. My husband is 6'3" and the shower was very uncomfortable.

The SeaView was not much of a sea view...........

• Liked — breakfast
  • Disliked — Size of room
  • Stayed May 2008, traveled as a couple
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Freddy121, Owner at Sea-Breeze Lodge, responded to this review, December 4, 2008
Dear guest,

Thank you for your review. Your 6'3" tall husband will find most B&B rooms and showers in Europe small. Our roads are smaller, our cars are smaller, houses, shopping malls etc.. Even people tend to be smaller than in the U.S. Please remember that B&B's are people's homes, they are not hotels. Having said that, our smallest room is 11 square meters or 112 square feet. I believe this is not too small for a B&B in Ireland. My advice, if the size is an issue you should speak to your host / hotel before booking.
Also, we never said we had an ocean view anywhere on our website. It is a bay.

Regards,
Freddy
Blacksburg, Va
Reviewed November 26, 2008

As Americans, in Ireland for the first time, and driving on the other side of the road for the first time- which takes a bit of adjustment (!)... it was great to find a B&B that was easy to locate, offered a warm and helpful welcome, and good local food. The beds are very comfortable- which is important after a long flight across the "pond". The staff are eager to please, and Freddy goes the extra mile wherever he can. I would not hesitate to recommend this B&B to anyone!

• Liked — It had what we needed. Nice enough room, good beds, good food, great staff, and easy to find.
  • Stayed June 2008, traveled with family
3 Thank BBurgmama
Sanibel Island, FL
Reviewed November 26, 2008

This Bed & Breakfast was so quaint and the Inn Keeper so friendly you felt like you had known him your whole life! How many strangers do you feel comfortable hugging after only a couple of hours? Freddy runs a clean, comfortable, cozy place and we would recommend it to anyone. The view of Galway Bay was gorgeous and you can walk many places. The bus service door to door was awesome so you can ride out to Connemarra or the Aran Islands from your front door. Food was excellent and plentiful. We were surprised at how quiet the neighborhood was, many B & B's are dormitory-like... not the Sea Breeze! Well done Freddy! Thanks for a great stay, we'll be back!
Kathy & Kim Santy

• Liked — Friendliness and cleanliness
  • Disliked — Liked everything
  • Stayed September 2008, traveled as a couple
3 Thank KathleeninFlorida
USA
Reviewed November 24, 2008

The two nights we spent at Sea Breeze were the most comfortable of our entire trip. Freddy and his staff went to great lengths to provide a warm comfortable place for travelers.
All details were thought of, from making sure that all guests would have a table in the sunroom if they all went to breakfast at the same time, to the charming pictures on the bedroom walls. The sunroom was bright and cheery and the yard a gardeners delight.

Freddy and the staff took the time for the special extras-when he learned we were from USA he patiently gave my daughter a much appreciated driving lesson on how to negotiate the roundabouts that are so prevelant in Ireland. His concern for our comfort was evident. We especially enjoyed the impromptu piano recital as well as the conversation.

Our room was quiet although it faced the street. The view of waterfront was spectacular in both morning and evening.

We had a great time and would certainly go back again!

• Liked — bedroom a good size
  • Disliked — would have loved room a darkening shade
  • Stayed October 2008, traveled with family
2 Thank BolderTravel
London
Reviewed November 24, 2008

When I made my booking I was replied to in a timeous and very courteous way by the owner himself. I planned to propose to my girlfriend that weekend and had a couple of requests for the owner, which was never too much trouble... The room we had had a bed the size of a football field and everything in the room was of a very high quality and very tasteful. We woke up with a stunning view of beautiful Galway Bay!

Breakfast was also of a very high standard and located in a transparent dome in which nature felt very close.

Overall, a definite recommendation from my side!!

• Liked — Great room
  • Disliked — n/a
  • Stayed November 2008, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Glancekopf
Buffalo New York
Reviewed November 24, 2008

The Sea-Breeze lodge was by far the nicest place we stayed while on a 3 week tour of Europe. The owner and his staff went above and beyond when it came to service and hospitality. They put so much thought into every detail in the lodge.

• Liked — The friendly service
  • Disliked — N/A
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled with friends