“Good value for what it is”
Review of The Western Hotel

The Western Hotel
Ranked #22 of 46 Hotels in Galway
Reviewed November 5, 2008

I stayed in the Western for two nights from 2nd November. Based on reviews read on Tripadvisor I asked for a room away from the road which I was given no problems so it was very quiet and easy to sleep. The hotel was easy to find, only literally a one minute walk away from Eyre Square which is perfect. My room was booked as a single so I was surprised to find both a double and a spare single bed in the room, but it added to the spaciousness. The bathroom was brilliant, so clean and plenty of towels and the best shower-head in a hotel ever! The steps up to the front door are slightly inconvenient if you are travelling with luggage. I also did not like the fact that I had to ring the bell to get back into the hotel late at night and wait for someone to open the door, it was freezing outside! I had my inclusive breakfast the first morning and have to say I was less than impressed. The milk out for the cereal was warm and the cooked breakfast had a very odd taste off it, maybe the oil they were using or something but I did not finish it. The crockery is also very dated and the fact that it’s white makes the cups look less than clean on the inside when I’m sure they just need a good scrub out! Something else I thought was odd, I left my room early-ish to go out for the day and arrived back at 4pm. The room had not been serviced at all. About 10 minutes later I received a knock on the door to ask if I wanted fresh towels. I would have thought that type of thing is done earlier in the day and ready for you when you come back? I had rang the reception desk to ask about borrowing a phone charger and the girl working was very efficient in calling me back to let me know she had one. The girl who was working the day I checked out was not as friendly, seemed less than thrilled to be there and did not once thank me for my custom or ask how my stay was – just small things you notice as a customer. I would recommend to stay here though, it’s a great location close to the centre but not right in the square, but as I was here on Sunday/Monday night I can’t comment on the noise level for people who are staying on weekends. Maybe just skip the breakfast.

• Stayed: November 2008, traveled solo
1  Thank SorchaOS

Reviewed November 4, 2008

Excellent, helpful staff. Lovely clean hotel, Great breakfast. Fantastic location, really close to city. Good value. Highly recommended

• Stayed: October 2008, traveled with family
Reviewed October 10, 2008

The noise of traffic was absolutely horrendous, day and night. Also woken up on a number of occasions throughout the night with drunken people outside. Not really the hotels fault, unless they could put in decent double glazing. Room was very expensive for what it was, which was very basic. Billed as a deluxe room, it certainly wasn't. Room was a third of the size of one I had in Dublin, and I paid more for two nights at the Western than I did for 3 at the Dublin hotel. Was very disappointed in hotel, and was glad to leave it, if I'm honest. Wouldn't recommend it, unless you like noise..Only positive is it was close to main square in Galway, but so are many others.

• Stayed: October 2008
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1  Thank travellinliteuk
Reviewed September 8, 2008

Visited Galway in August and was very disappointed by my stay in the Western Hotel. Booked it mainly due to its proximity to the city center.

However unexpectedly found the hotel to be very old and run down. Dirty worn carpets in the landings and lobby. Smell of smoke in the landings.

The room itself was very basic. Very small bed, no air conditioning and no internet access.

Found the breakfast to be substandard in comparison with other hotels.

And finally when I checked out the receptionist tried to charge me for the room twice!

Plenty of other modern hotels in the area. My advice is to give this place a b-line and shop around.

Stayed: August 2008
1  Thank aobtron
Reviewed August 28, 2008

If your idea of a nice hotel involves rude and incompetent staff who try to charge you twice and are unwilling to deal with the stag and hen parties shouting and smoking in the corridor and slamming doors at 4am, hairdryers that don't work, queues for tables for the substandard breakfast and traffic noise from the busy street below all for an extemely extortionate rate then this is the place for you. If not then give it a very wide berth. An absolute waste of time and money. Seriously don't bother.

• Stayed: August 2008, traveled as a couple
1  Thank MyNameIsMichaelCaine
Reviewed August 20, 2008

Stayed the week of the galway races and other than being overpriced it was fine. Clean, lovely staff other than the receptionist who thinks shes a very inportant person, It was great. Would recommend it.

• Stayed: August 2008, traveled on business
1  Thank fin22
Reviewed August 15, 2008

Recently stayed in the Western Hotel Prospect hill Galway for the races. Great location near the Radisson and Eyre Square.
Breakfast and rooms were good.
Room rate was expensive but then so is everywhere race weekend.

• Stayed: August 2008, traveled with friends
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1  Thank tMCL