“Apartments attached to this hotel are fantastic - stay”
Review of The Western Hotel

The Western Hotel
Ranked #20 of 46 Hotels in Galway
Reviewed May 8, 2011

We stayed in the Western in Galway in one of their apartments which are a short walk from the main hotel.

I can’t really comment on the hotel itself but I can tell you that the apartments are luxurious, modern and exceptional value for money.

Our apartment had stunning views over the city, the floor to ceiling windows add a feeling of space and the decor made me want to come home and redecorate. The apartment had two bed rooms, one was en suite with a balcony the other was a reasonable size but no balcony or en suite. That said the main bathroom is only across the hall. The apartments that they are not serviced – make your own bed.

The apartments have all you need, if you want to cater at home – crockery, cutlery, cups etc. The oven was a bit complicated we could only ever make the top one work, but it did the trick.

Honestly if there are four of you and you are going to Galway, this is the place to stay!

The location is also fantastic two minutes from the main square, close to the pubs and shops. There is a pub called the Galway Shawl just across the road – the name would lead to believe that you were about to enter a traditional pub complete with Irish music and dancing. Think again! Nothing could be further from the truth, check it out, we stayed for a few drinks and were so entertained by the locals – but be prepared to be shocked!

The hotel administers the apartments and the staff are friendly and helpful.

Room Tip: Just ask for any appartment on the 4th floor
  • Stayed: April 2011, traveled with friends
There are newer reviews for The Western Hotel

Reviewed April 21, 2011

I had nothing booked for this leg of my 2 week solo trip to Ireland. My first night was spent in Shannon and the local folks I met at Durty Nellys there had written down a phone number and the name "The Western" so at about 5:30PM when I finally pulled into Galway for my 2nd and 3rd nights in Ireland - I just called the number and hoped they had a vacancy. It was a great choice and I was not disappointed. The building actually used to be a B&B many many years ago so it's got a cozy appeal peppered with the feel of a hotel. I ate in the restaurant, drank at the bar and the breakfast was on par with all the great B&B's that followed.
The walk to the heart of Galway was just 2 blocks, the room was quiet, comfortable and affordable. And there was even a full bath tub - which was not in any of the other rooms I stayed in. I would definitely stay there again.

• Stayed: March 2011, traveled solo
1  Thank honeybrowndog
Reviewed April 4, 2011

Stayed in the suites 2 bed all was beautiful
Service was excellent as was food!
Would definately go back!!

• Stayed: April 2011, traveled with family
Reviewed April 3, 2011

We stayed here a few weeks ago based on the reviews on this website. What we got was the complete opposite - I'm beginning to think that the good reviews were written by the hotel themselves.

On arrival we parked the car in what must be the most hidden car park on the planet - pure luck to find! And it was absolutely tiny with cars practically on top of each other and we didn't feel comfortable parking in it at all, better to park on the street, looked safer!

Rooms were extremely noisy so there was no chance of getting any sleep.
We had drinks in the bar only to be witnesses to a fight where management did nothing to intervene. The customer involved left with a busted lip and too be honest it looked like a common occurrence within the bar. There were no bouncers on site at all on a Saturday night which we thought was very strange for a bar!! One of the barmen appeared to have a massive chip on his shoulder which didn't help the negativity within the bar either.

We thought we would be comforted by a full irish breakfast the next day - pity it was stone cold!!

All in all a terrible experience in a terrible hotel and if I could leave a review with a zero rating...I would! Needless to say we won't be back!

• Stayed: March 2011, traveled with friends
7  Thank Silvermouse82
Reviewed March 31, 2011

I have been to Galway quite a number of times, I found this place a while back & have been back a couple of times. It's a great place to stay because the location is brilliant. The free car park space is really convenient, yea it is a small enough car park and when I was leaving, my car was blocked in by another car, but a staff member helped me get out without any hassle. It does get a bit noisy on the street some times, but it's city centre, so I can't complain much about that. Overall, very good, clean, very friendly staff, and I'd stay again if I was back again in Galway (which I probably will be..its a good spot!)

• Stayed: March 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed March 23, 2011

We stayed here for two nights, clean room, spotless white sheets and bathroom towels and a brilliant shower. Breakfast was lovely and freshly cooked, last minute for us at 9.45!
Very convenient for shopping and night life with the added bonus of free parking, the person who said you needed a sat nav to find the car park should get out more. The staff were very friendly even though they were very busy. The dining room could do with a few pictures and other touches but for a shopping trip and a few nights out in Galway this hotel is ideal and we got a great rate. For the most fab meal at a resonable price go and eat in Cactus Jacks down a lane near the Spanish Arch Hotel, the seafood platter, Platillo Ceviche is absolutely gorgeous .

• Stayed: March 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed March 18, 2011

We stayed at The Western Tuesday and Wednesday night in February on our trip around Ireland. Perfect location to visit Galway. The hotel has really friendly staff, we were greeted by Rosemary on reception who couldn't have been more helpful. We had bar food one evening and it was reasonably priced and good quality.

• Stayed: February 2011, traveled as a couple