“Great central B&B”

The Stop B&B
Ranked #5 of 185 Galway B&B and Inns
“Great central B&B”
Reviewed May 21, 2013

We stayed in Kilcullen House for two nights over May bank holiday and had a great stay. Russell and Emer were great hosts and gave us a map of their favourite local spots when we arrived. Thanks to this we found a few great bars and restaurants that we would have missed otherwise. The B&B is cosy and welcoming, with interesting art on the walls. The smell of bread baking was particularly inviting. The room was simple but filled our needs. The curtains were very thin though so the room got bright quite early.Breakfast was freshly made and delicious. They clearly were proud of their food. Next time I'm in Galway I'll definitely aim to stay here again.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (61)
Reviewed May 21, 2013 via mobile

Had a great stay here with my wife. Very tasty breakfast. Clean tidy rooms. Close to town. Would thoroughly recommend staying here for people going for a weekend to Galway. The decor is very tasteful, modern and relaxing.

• Stayed May 2013
Wil, Switzerland
Reviewed May 21, 2013

Kilcullen House is a very cosy B&B and it's very close to the town centre. Russel and Emer are perfect hosts.
We had booked a daytour and when it was lashing down, Russel phoned the bus company and asked if we can be picked up at the B&B.

In the sitting room there are homemade cookies and the breakfast is delicious. I really liked the homemade bread.

We really enjoyed our stay at kilcullen house.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Springfield, Massachusetts
Reviewed May 19, 2013

I recently passed through Galway for two days with my friend and her husband, and unfortunately the B&B they were staying at was full, so she gave me a few names. Luckily, the Kilcullen House was one of them- what a breath of fresh air this was! I have been traveling around Ireland for over two months, and while this was probably the 19th B&B I've stayed in, it was the first really original, funky, modern, fun B&B I've come across in Ireland. Most b&bs are very antiquated with their furniture and their wallpaper, and yes, a lot of times that is part of the charm. But what I loved about this place was that walking into it, you could immediately tell that it was run by two artists. Their choices of decor were spot on; the breakfast room, with its beautiful prints and fun colors and chalkboard menu, is guaranteed to make you smile. The sitting room was also well decorated and inviting; during my two day stay there were several times when people were mixing and talking to each other in the sitting room, which I haven't seen too much of at other b&bs. Russell and Emer are both incredibly friendly and I thoroughly enjoyed chatting with both of them. Hats off to them for running such a wonderful B&B with three small boys at home. I don't know how they do it! Bottom line: this is a beautiful, fun, convenient place to stay. Loved it and I will be back!

Stayed May 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed May 13, 2013

I just got back from a weekend break in Galway staying at Kilcullen House. Our room was lovely, compact and simply decorated but it had everything we needed and it was super quiet. The whole house is beautufully decorated. The breakfast was absolutely delicious and not the usual stodge that you can get in a lot of Irish hotels and B&B's. It was no more than a 5 minute walk to Quay Street and all the great bars and restaurants. I will definitely stay here again when I'm back in Galway. It cost us a little over half of what we have paid for hotels in Galway previously and I much prefered it to any hotel I've stayed in whilst in the city. One tiny thing, the laneway to get to the parking area is really tight and you would need a confident driver to navigate it, especially in a large car. But that's not the fault of Kilcullen House, they didn't build the road. I would recommend Kilcullen House to anyone.

Room Tip: Rooms at the back have no traffic noise.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
New Jersey
Reviewed May 3, 2013

Russell and Emer are simply adorable. They are the youngest B&B owners I’ve come across, but they run a very well-oiled machine. Upon arrival, Russell gave us directions on how to get to the parking area behind the house (you then enter the house from the back door). He then gave us a self-drawn map (such a nice touch!) of Galway with great recommendations for food, live music and sights. The sitting room is modern with great artwork, a tea and coffee station with fresh, homemade, healthy chocolate chip biscuits/cookies (which are outstanding), and plenty of guide books, magazines, games and restaurant menus. The dining room is equally as charming. Our room was a tad on the small side, but had great artwork and everything we needed and it all worked great! The free wi-fi was really nice to have and worked very well. The heat worked super well. The shower was on the smaller side, but again, worked very well…good water pressure and temperature. The towels were more like bath towels you’d have at home rather than standard white hotel towels which I thought was a nice touch - they were fluffy and a good size.
The house is just a five minute walk to town and about a ten minute walk to Salt Hill. The breakfast was super delicious. In addition to the cold buffet of various cereals and granolas, fresh fruit salad, jams, juice, flavored water (pitcher/jug of water with fresh slices of orange and mint – so lovely!) and the very best and healthiest brown bread we had on our entire trip, you also get to order a hot, made-to-order item. They take your order along with your hot beverage order (tea or fresh pressed coffee). You must try Russell’s tomatoes, roasted to perfection and drizzled with homemade basil olive oil. Amazing! They were also very accommodating and made us egg whites for the veggie breakfast option. And they were super nice in sharing their recipes for the delicious biscuits and brown bread. I’m just now finishing my very first loaf of brown bread! Thank you Russell and Emer!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Pietrasanta, Italy
Reviewed May 3, 2013

We were a group of families and stayed in kilcullen house which is one of the best bed and breakfast I have ever stayed in in my life. It is really close to the city centre, university, pier, and the so-called Latin quarter (which is where pubs and traditional music bars are to be found). Just perfect! And yet, the area is very quiet, particularly at night. The owners are very nice and they would give suggestions as to what to do and where to go. They cooked a gorgeous breakfast. The rooms are tidy and comfortable and very creatively furnitured. We will certainly go back.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family