“Nice but a bit annoying”
Review of Almara House

Almara House
Ranked #12 of 188 Galway B&B and Inns
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
“Nice but a bit annoying”
Reviewed September 17, 2013

The room was a tad bigger than average size along with the bath, a slightly larger shower area but the sink was the size of a casserol dish. There was only parking for 4 cars so you may have to park across the street half on the grass. The steps were narrow making it awkward to carry the larger suitcast upstairs. Breakfast had two seatings, 8 and 9 only. There was not a table with juices, cereal, or breads like other places. It was very clean and nicely appointed and had adaquate outlets.

A note about B&B's: We stayed in 7 B&B's duing our trip, all 4 star or more. Generally they do not provide any wash cloths and just hand soap, no shower soap. As a rule the rooms are small and the bathrooms are tiny, about 3' x 9' with just enough room for the shower stall, toilet and sink. The showers are snall some just 2' square. Most do not have any alarm clocks, have dim lighting especially the bathrooms and few or no outlets for charging phones, tablets, etc. That being said they were all clean with nice bedding, all provided a full delicious Irish breakfast and all the hosts were very friendly.

Room Tip: Rooms on second and third floor only so request the second so you don't have to carry everything...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank 2010Escape

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (32)
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Saint Louis, Missouri
Reviewed September 15, 2013

We only stayed here 1 night, but it was a really great place to stay, rooms were nice and clean, breakfast served was really good, on top of all that, the B&B owners are a great couple.
They welcomed us and made us feel at home.
This is conveniently located about 20 mts walk from city center.
also very easy to get from all the motorways as well.
I would recommend to anyone going to Galway.

Room Tip: Any room would be good..
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Kelowna, Canada
Reviewed July 12, 2013

I stayed at this B&B for 2 nights. The place looks small from the outside, but there was lots of room inside. After helping with my luggage, the hosts made sure that I had everything I needed for my night and next day (breakfast, directions, suggestions on what to visit, etc). There were lots of breakfast options which was refreshing. Breakfast was the hosts' time to shine- they really thought of every detail for my enjoyment- a warm greeting, asking how I slept, music, and every small touch with respect to the food itself. The plates looked professionally prepared and were absolutely delicious. I had to leave early in the morning and just wish I didn't have to miss out on my last breakfast! The hosts seemed to really enjoy doing what they do, which was nice. The drive to Galway was not bad, but there are buses that go directly to city centre until about 11:30pm. A great stay!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled solo
Birmingham, Alabama
Reviewed June 29, 2013 via mobile

It is a very modern home located in an area of surrounding B and Bs. It is clean and breakfast was very good. We must have hit the hosts on a bad day as they weren't as warm or welcoming as other reviewers have stated. They were not rude either. Just indifferent. The biggest problem we had in our room was the road noise...room 9. It kept us both up.The car park was just below our window as well so the diesel cars starting up at the surrounding homes at 6AM was annoying. The bed and linens were very nice. The trip into town was easy by car and Galway is a neat university/tourist town. I would stay here again but not in that room.

Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Palm Harbor, Florida
Reviewed June 2, 2013

After arriving via train from Killarney, the taxi ride from the Galway train station to Almara House cost 9 euro. The vast majority of the homes in the 'Merlin Park' area, where Almara House is located, all look stunningly similar. What Morgan, my daugher, and I found out immediately is what's inside the home that makes the difference. Plain and simple, Matt and Marie get it. They understand what it takes to be a tremendous B&B in a 'vacation destination' where lodging offerings are plentiful. Upon our arrival, I honestly felt dropped into a scene from the movie 'My Fat Greek Wedding' when Matt warmly said, "Welcome to our Home". Almara House is inviting, immaculate, and the breakfast, cooked perfect to our liking, was amazing. The room and beds were the best we experienced during our week-long vacation in Ireland. Location is a bit off the beaten path. A 15 minute bus to (via 209 or 210) and from (via 402) Eyre Square, at the center of town, will cost you 3.60 euro round trip. When we departed on the early morning of our final day, Matt kindly drove us to the train station. Not only saving us a few euro, but also avoiding the hassles of navigating luggage on and off of the buses. We arrived as strangers, and left as friends. Hopefully your experience will be similar to ours.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank PapasPicks
Calgary, Canada
Reviewed May 25, 2013

Our rooms at Almara House looked like a 5 star hotel. Matt & Marie are personable, helpful and their property is head and shoulders above most of the B&B's that we stayed in during our 2 weeks in Ireland. The breakfasts offered in their dining area were pleasing both in taste and presentation. We enjoyed our stay so much that we made a point of staying an extra night. Never once did we feel like we were intruding which we found can happen when you stay certain B&Bs. Easy access to downtown and our tour bus picked us up right in front of the door. We especailly enjoyed Matt's sense of humour!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed May 13, 2013

My friend and I arrived at the Almara House after a long, rainy car ride from the Cliffs of Moher and Doolin. We were tired and so happy to be greeted by Matt and Marie when we checked in at the Almara House. We were able to park our rental car in front of their B&B property and go right upstairs to our room (Matt even carried our heavy suitcases up the stairs for us!). We didn't realize that the B&B would not be right downtown in Galway, but it was a short cab ride (maybe 10 euros?) into town. We knew we'd be going out to a pub for dinner and drinks, so we didn't want to drive. We were able to call directly from the Almara House's phone to get a cab, that arrived in minutes. Matt and Marie had many wonderful recommendations for us, in terms of sights, food and music, that were very helpful. The breakfast options in the morning were plentiful and delicious, in a lovely, quaint dining area. Our room was tidy and comfortable and our stay was lovely. After leaving Galway, I realized I forgot my vest in my room. I emailed Matt and Marie and they emailed me back right away, even shipping my vest back to me in Boston! Their kindness was much appreciated. I would highly recommend the Almara House to anyone staying in Galway!

Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends