“Top Hotel - Great Service”

Maldron Hotel Sandy Road Galway
Ranked #18 of 46 Hotels in Galway
Reviewed May 6, 2014

Arrived a little early for check in at this hotel, staff where very polite whilst confirming if my room was ready. Waited in the communal area and staff kept me up to date whilst exchanging pleasantry's. Once in the room I found it to be clean spacious and well laid out. Galway town centre is about a 15 minute walk whilst there is a retail park only 5 minutes from the hotel. This retail park has everything you need. Ordered breakfast to my room which failed to arrive on time, this was quickly and easily resolved by reception staff and breakfast was there in 5 minutes with no tray charge (a concept I find hard to swallow anyway!). Excellent overall, will return.

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled on business
PilloHotel, General Manager at Maldron Hotel Sandy Road Galway, responded to this reviewResponded May 9, 2014

Dear Guest,
Thank you for your kind review. It was lovely to hear that you were warmly greeted on arrival and that you were happy with your room. I am sorry that your breakfast was late arriving, however, I am happy to hear the matter was sorted out quickly and that the room delivery charge was deducted for the inconvenience caused. We look forward to you returning to stay with us again.
Siobhan Burke

Write a ReviewReviews (1,365)

Reviewed April 30, 2014

Great value hotel for the price paid . Huge comfortable bed and well appointed room . Good breakfast overall despite it being the typical hotel buffet first come best served type .
The hotel is located 20 minute walk from the town centre .

• Stayed: April 2014
1  Thank kenkenwill

Dear Guest,
Thank for your positive feedback about your recent stay with us. It was lovely to read that you found the hotel to be good value for money and that you were happy with your room and enjoyed our breakfast buffet offering. We hope to welcome you back to stay again in the near future.

Reviewed April 28, 2014

Checked into this hotel due to it's locality, and from this respect it met our needs perfectly. Free, secure parking with easy access into hotel reception. Probably the speediest check in we have ever experienced, but it turned out to be the main problem with our stay. I asked the person who checked us in whether the restaurant was open on this particular evening (Sunday) to which the answer was a definite "yes", "it is open until 10pm". We went to our room, then straight down to restaurant as we'd had a busy day with very little to eat. The restaurant was closed. We then suffered a very average meal in a busy, noisy bar, our worst nightmare. I don't eat chips which was lucky because they were a very, very dark shade of brown, I would like to describe them as "burnt" but even that would not describe their disgraceful appearance properly. The burnt nature of the chips would have been obvious to the chef and the "couldn't care less" waiter that served them to me, so a complaint was pointless to two people who shouldn't be working in the hotel trade.

Our room was quite nice with a desk, an easy chair and a directors chair, plenty of good lighting, king size bed which would really benefit from a new mattress. Bathroom was well fitted out.

Unfortunately the hotel is situated on a main road so we were unable to sleep after 6am. Breakfast was excellent and served in the restaurant which was now open

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled on business
PilloHotel, General Manager at Maldron Hotel Sandy Road Galway, responded to this reviewResponded May 15, 2014

Dear Guest,
Thank you for your review on your recent stay with us. I was glad to read that you were very happy with your breakfast and overall with your room. If you wish to provide me with the room number which you stayed in, then we will follow up on your point about the mattress. Your feedback on the restaurant opening times has been followed up on. The receptionist did give you the correct information and you should indeed have been offered a table in our restaurant as we do serve food there until 10pm. I apologise that you were not facilitated and also that you were unhappy with your meal and the service that you received in the bar. This is disappointing to hear and I can assure you that this has been discussed with the managers and staff. If you wish to provide me with the date on which you stayed, then I will be happy to follow up more on your feedback.

Reviewed April 24, 2014

Our stay at the hotel was mostly enjoyable,well situated but maybe a little far out if your not keen on walking or paying taxi's.It is on a busy road but we didn't find this a problem. We found it reasonably priced and considering you get free parking,free fitness room & a spa facility on-site we thought you couldn't ask for more for what we paid! Our room was a good size and having read other reviews we were probably lucky to have been given a rear facing room so we escaped any noise from the busy road. Our room was however boiling hot & we really struggled to sleep on our first night so decided to keep the air-con on the second night & this seemed to help! Our only criticism would be to say that on arrival we weren't informed that the restaurant opening times had been changed due to the Easter Bank Holiday which meant we arrived down for dinner at 9.01 and couldn't be accommodated in the restaurant,we did get food from the hotel bar but it wasn't quite the romantic evening we had planned surrounded by families watching football on a big screen behind our head!! All in all though our stay was very pleasant.

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled as a couple
PilloHotel, General Manager at Maldron Hotel Sandy Road Galway, responded to this reviewResponded April 25, 2014

Dear Guest,
I was glad to read that overall you had an enjoyable stay with us. However, I am very sorry that you were not served dinner in the restaurant as it opens until 10pm , as does our bar food service. I am surprised that you would have been told otherwise. I have followed up on this and ensured that all of the team are fully aware of our opening times. We hope to have the pleasure of having you back to stay again in the near future.

Reviewed April 21, 2014 via mobile

My girlfriend and I stayed here on easter sunday night. Upon arriving at the hotel we were greeted by a very busy service station attached to the front which was so over crowded that it made it particularly difficult to navigate to reach the parking area. When we checked in we were pleased to find out that we had been upgraded to a penthouse suite. We thought "brilliant!" Er..no. I will get to that point in a moment. First the service.We decided to order some dinner to the room in the evening. When it arrived(after an hour) it wasn't what I had ordered. When I phoned to make them aware of this, I was informed that the item I had ordered was no longer available and they hadn't updated the menu. So they saw fit to send me something else, as opposed to just letting me know so I could order something else. When I told them I wasn't happy with this the gentleman seemed surprised and said " So you aren't going to eat it??" this in my view was very insulting. To appease the situation he said he would send up a complimentary drink, then didn't. The hotel then proceeded to attempt to bill me for the aforementioned meal. Ludicrously bad service again. To top this all off, we had the worst, noisiest night of non sleep we've ever had in a hotel. Bad soundproofing meant the constant 24 hour stream of traffic might as well have been driving through our room. On top of buzzing from heaters, beeping from alarms and god knows what else. When I got up I found my partner asleep on the bathroom floor to escape the noise. Overall, a shockingly bad stay. Will never be back.

Stayed: April 2014, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Martin D
PilloHotel, General Manager at Maldron Hotel Sandy Road Galway, responded to this reviewResponded April 22, 2014

Dear Guest,
It is very disappointing to read your review on your stay with us over Easter Sunday. I spoke with the manager who was on duty and who dealt with your complaint regarding the meal you received to your room. We are in the process of changing our menu's and unfortunately the dish which you ordered had not been updated on the room service information in your room which led to you receiving a dish different to what you ordered, and we sincerely apologise for this. The manager cannot recall mentioning "so you are not going to eat it" but he is sorry if this is what you heard, he would have been very happy to replace the dish with something else. He assured me that he did offer you a complimentary drink, however, you decided to decline the offer. Again, I am sorry if this was not as you remember as we would have been happy to organise a drink to your room or in the bar at any stage during the evening for you. It is a pity that your complimentary upgrade was impacted by the noise that you experienced and that it prevented you from getting a good nights sleep. The Penthouse suites are occupied regularly and soundproofing has never tended to be an issue with these rooms, however, now that you have mentioned it please be assured that we will keep a closer eye on this. If you would like to discuss the matters that you raised in your review further, then I would be happy to speak with you. Please do not hesitate to contact me on 091 513200 if you wish to do so.

Reviewed April 21, 2014 via mobile

Stayed for one night. Very good spa with excellent massage and thermal suite. Disappointed with food for dinner. Poor quality lamb and chips were raw so had to send them back. Service slow in restaurant. Lots of better hotels in galway to stay in so wont go back.

• Stayed: April 2014

Dear Guest,
It was disappointing to read that you would not return to stay with us again. I apologise that your meal and the service were not up to standard. Your feedback has been shared on this with the head chef and the waiting staff. I am glad that you had a good experience in the Spa and that you enjoyed your treatment. We would hope that you might reconsider returning to us as we would be very happy to have you back and would ensure that your next stay is more enjoyable overall.

Reviewed April 19, 2014

We made a one-night reservation at the Pillo, sight-unseen, based on their website. Once we arrived and saw how well-appointed the hotel was, we turned our one-night stay into a three-night trip! The Pillo is clean and well-appointed. It seemed to be a fairly new construction. The hotel is an easy 15-minute walk to Galway City Center, and surrounded by all of the amenities of a typical American suburb. It contains a lovely fitness center, too, which added to our experience.

All of the concierges at the Pillo were incredibly helpful, particularly one named David, who was able to help us with all of our questions.

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled with family

Dear Guest,
Thank you for your kind review. It was lovely that your first nights experience resulted in you staying with us for longer. I am glad that you found the location to be good and near to the city and that you got to enjoy our fitness suite. David and the team were very happy to read your kind comments about how they helped you. I hope that you enjoyed your trip to Ireland and that you might return to Galway again at some time in the future.