“Good value in a good location.” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Maldron Hotel Sandy Road Galway

Maldron Hotel Sandy Road Galway
Ranked #16 of 47 Hotels in Galway
Limerick, Limerick, Ireland
“Good value in a good location.”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 17, 2014

I have just returned from a stay at The Pillo for 2 nights. We took a taxi to the hotel from the rail station which was less than a 5 minute drive away. It is situated close to the city centre and near the dual carriageway and so easy to find. Upon arrival we were informed that we had been upgraded to a suite which made our stay that bit more special. The suite was very spacious with 2 bathrooms, king size bed, 2 widescreen tvs, lounge area etc. The room suited is ideally and would also be perfect for a family or group travelling. The only criticism we would have is that the decor is slightly dated and as our room was at the front of the hotel there was a little noise from outside traffic in the mornings. We enjoyed breakfast at the hotel both mornings which was lovely and freshly cooked for us. We also tried out the bar menu on one evening, the food was brought to us quickly and was very tasty and reasonably priced. There was also an extensive drinks menu to choose from. There is also a fabulous spa here which we decided to visit, we booked our appointments in advance which I would recommend as they appeared to be busy. Before our treatments we got to use the thermal suite which has various showers, steam room, sauna etc. We had the suite to ourselves and it was most relaxing. Slippers and a robe were also provided by the spa for our visit. I chose to have a facial while my partner got a full body massage. We were supposed to be in a couples suite but were basically in separate rooms with the partition only being drawn for the duration of the treatment so it was not really a shared experience. Aside from this however we thoroughly enjoyed our treatments and my therapist (Sarah I think!) was very attentive in her work and even recommended some products for me after my treatment. All in all we were delighted with our stay. It is perfect for couples, those travelling for business and also for girly weekends. It is in a good location within walking distance to eyre square and well serviced by taxis. The staff were very attentive and pleasant and we will definitely stay at The Pillo again.

• Stayed January 2014
1 Thank Sophie K
PilloHotel, General Manager at Maldron Hotel Sandy Road Galway, responded to this review, February 18, 2014
Dear Guest,
It was lovely to read that you enjoyed your stay with us so much. I have passed on your kind feedback to all of the team regarding the food, service and your spa experience which was looked after by Sarah. It is always lovely to hear when our guests have a good time with us and we appreciate that you took the time to post such a positive review. We look forward to welcoming you back to stay in the near future.
Siobhan Burke

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (165)
  • Hebrew first
Letterkenny, Ireland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 14, 2014

I can't recommend this hotel enough. My partner and I thoroughly enjoyed our stay. The food was delicious and the staff were more than helpful and very friendly too. We also had spa treatments during our stay which was bliss. Room was a good size and very clean. Short walk to city centre. Taxi €6. Going back this year for my birthday with the girls! Can't wait :)

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
      Sleep Quality
1 Thank CiaraM1333
Dear Guest,
Thank you for taking the time to review your last stay with us. It was lovely to read that both you and your partner enjoyed all aspects of your stay, including the food, spa and the service which you received from the staff. We look forward to welcoming you back for your birthday.
Dublin, Ireland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 3, 2014 via mobile

My boyfriend and I stayed in the Pillo hotel for New Year's Eve. It is easily the best hotel I've stayed in. The staff were really what made the experience. They were so accommodating, friendly and extremely helpful and laid back. The hotel was clean and I couldn't fault the room at all. The food was perfect - we are there both nights in the olive tree restaurant and both mornings for breakfast. We also ordered room service which was brought up to us very quickly and the food was exactly what we had ordered- no mistakes. This hotel is extremely good value for the experience you get in the hotel. I will be back to stay without a doubt.

2 Thank Lianelamegan
PilloHotel, General Manager at Maldron Hotel Sandy Road Galway, responded to this review, January 7, 2014
Dear Guest,
Thank you for your lovely review on your stay with us over New Years Eve. It was really nice to hear how much you enjoyed your break and that your experience was mostly down to the way the team looked after you, which is always lovely to hear. I will be very happy to share your kind feedback with them. We look forward to welcoming you back to stay in the near future.
Dublin, Ireland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 2, 2014 via mobile

We stayed here for three nights recently. It would be hard to fault it. The staff were friendly and helpful . The rooms were large very clean and well equipped . The breakfast was excellent . We will be back.

1 Thank niftydublin55
PilloHotel, General Manager at Maldron Hotel Sandy Road Galway, responded to this review, January 3, 2014
Dear Guest,
It was lovely to read that you enjoyed your recent stay with us. I have passed on your kind feedback to the staff and also to the breakfast chef. We look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 1, 2014

Lovely hotel, food brilliant. But we had to ask for another room, it was cold and temp control was not working. The second room had no hairdryer and had to get one from house keeping in the hallway. Duvets are wafer thin, not warm. We had the heating off as too noisy to sleep. So did not have a Greay nights sleep, had a wedding next day and my bf was in bed by 12.30....so food great, comfort awful, guests should arrive into a warm room..simple and heavier bigger duvets.

• Stayed December 2013
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank luxliv
Dear Guest,
I apologise for the issues that you had regarding the heat in your room during your stay with us. It was unfortunate that this occurred in both rooms. We always have extra bedding available for our guests, should they so wish. I was glad to read that overall, you very happy with the hotel and with the food. I have passed on your kind feedback on this to the chefs.
Skully99
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 30, 2013 via mobile

I enjoyed my stay at the pillo. I stay in Galway regularly and this hotel is good value compared to the prices of other hotels in the city. The rooms are large and comfortable. The room had a proper hair dryer, an iron and ironing board. The bed was huge. The hotel itself was quiet at night time, so we slept well. We stayed on the third floor. The bathroom was to a high standard, which is important to me. The shower head didn't look impressive when I first saw it, but the pressure was good when in use.
The breakfast was plentiful although they had no mushrooms! Other than that the breakfast was tasty. The hotel is a 15 min walk to town, which we didn't mind. A taxi home was €6 approx. There is free under ground parking. The entertainment at night was not to my taste, but Galway is never short of good pubs or entertainment. I found the staff helpful and friendly, especially Sarah in the spa. she tried to accommodate my requests despite being busy. I look forward to my next stay at the pillo.

2 Thank Skully99
Dear Guest,
Thank you for your kind review on your recent stay with us. It was lovely to read that you found the hotel, food and level of service to be to a good standard and that you were happy with the rate which you paid for your stay. We offer mushrooms, cooked to order, so I apologise that you went without these. It was lovely to hear that you found the staff, in particular Sarah to be helpful. We look forward to you returning to stay with us again during 2014.
Stockholm, Sweden
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 24, 2013 via mobile

I'm slightly disappointed.
After touring beautiful Irish countryside (December) we checked in around 6pm.

We booked 3 rooms. 2 family room and 1 double room. Room #102, 103 and 104.

My room was cold. The sink blocked. And it is ridiculous to find in a family room (2+3) only had two sets of towels and two double bed.

My mom's double room had no towels.

I wonder how much of quality control housekeeping is doing. It creates some doubt about the overall hotel maintenance.

But my main issue is, as a mother, after a long tiring day of travelling, It's just another hassle. I just want a comfortable place to rest and must be functional and practical....and get the kids settled, the last thing I need is to wait for basic things to be done in the room.

The positive are big room, comfortable bed, and the staff are relatively helpful. Wifi is good.

They came to pump the block sink, brought a small fan heater which is useless for a big room and noisy. It's something you'd expect in a flat in Rathmines not in a hotel and spa. At least in my mom's room had a bigger standing heater.

The hair dryer's hose was broken in couple of places, so really was useless.

The other non practical thing is breakfast starts at 8am. Kids are normally up at 6 and will look for food by 7am.

I was much happier in Travelodge Galway for a fraction of the price, good comfort and practical. We don't need big rooms because we spend most of the time outside touring. I worship a nice warm room in winter but this hotel didn't deliver it to me, unfortunately.

This hotel didn't suit our family and I won't stay here again.

• Stayed December 2013
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank Fifi077
PilloHotel, General Manager at Maldron Hotel Sandy Road Galway, responded to this review, December 30, 2013
Dear Guest,
It was very disappointing to read that your stay with us was not as you would have expected. I can assure you that our housekeeping team are normally very diligent when it comes to ensuring that our rooms are up to a good standard. Please be assured that I have followed up on as to why there were not sufficient towels in your rooms on arrival as we would always make a point of checking the number of guests in each room, so for this I apologise. We have two hairdryers in each room, one in the bathroom and also one in the drawer of the vanity unit which you may not have noticed. Our breakfast hours normally operate from 7am, except for Christmas Day, St Stephen's Day and New Year's Day. However, we are always happy to look after any guests who may require a continental breakfast at any time of the morning. I am not sure if you asked, but we would have been happy to provide cereal etc. for your children at any time. I have taken on board all of your comments and we will ensure that each one of them are followed up on.