“Nice quite hotel, very reasonable.”

Maldron Hotel Sandy Road Galway
Ranked #16 of 46 Hotels in Galway
Mullingar, Ireland
“Nice quite hotel, very reasonable.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 15, 2013

Myself and my sister stayed at the Pillo Hotel Galway on Saturday 12th October 2013. A Lidl break which was only 39 euro each, bed and breakfast.
On arrival we checked in at reception , the two ladies at reception were very polite. It was not yet 3.00pm so our room wasn't ready; We went to the bar for a drink and a bit of lunch. We were served by Tommy who looked after us very well. Lunch was very good value and quite nice too.
We strolled into the city which is only about ten - fifteen minute walk.
When we went to our room it had two double beds, the room was quite spacious and very clean. We were meeting friends in the city for the evening so we were delighted to find a few taxis waiting outside the hotel that took us into Eyre square which a short taxi ride is away costing about six euro.
Later that night when we returned to the hotel and retired to our room.
We had a pleasant night’s sleep and breakfast is served until 11.00 am on Saturday and Sunday mornings, but you have to get there before 11.00 am as they start clearing up before 11.00. There was a great range to choose from including a cold buffet, cereals, fresh breads, fruit and yogurts and cooked breakfast.
We thoroughly enjoyed our stay in the Pillo Hotel in Galway and its great value too.

1 Thank happyaug2011
PilloHotel, General Manager at Maldron Hotel Sandy Road Galway, responded to this review, October 24, 2013
Dear Guest,
Thank you for posting your review on your recent stay with us. It was lovely to read that you and your sister had an enjoyable time with us and that your room, our food offering and our proximity to the city helped to enhance your break away. I will pass on your kind feedback to the staff who looked after you, in particular to Tommy who looked after you in the bar. We look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel in the near future.
Siobhan Burke

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (167)
  • Hebrew first
Beattyville
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 10, 2013

By the time I arrived at this hotel, any place to lay down would have been good, however the Pillo was an excellent choice. It was very clean & quiet, and just a short distance away from the town center. The staff was very courteous and the room was great, bedding was good quality & I slept very well. They have a large, hot breakfast and the food was yummy! I would definitely stay here again if I ever find my way back to Ireland.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
Kerry
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 10, 2013

We stayed for 2 nights and really enjoyed our stay. The room was lovely, spacious and clean. We had dinner both nights in the restaurant and we were very pleased. Very child friendly which was great as my little one was treated like a princess. I had treatments in the Spa both days again very nice and relaxing. While I had my treatments the babysitter supplied by the hotel was excellent and brought loads of games etc for my daughter to play with. We will stay again

Ireland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 10, 2013

I just want to say a big thank you to all the staff and manager of the Pillo Hotel in Galway. I stayed there recently with some of my friends and we had a great weekend. The staff could not be nicer and were curtious at all times.
The hotel has all the facilities you would wish for on a girlie weekend and we had a great time enjoying the Thermal Spa suite and not to mention the cocktails and the fab food.

You wont be disappointed with your stay at this hotel.

I

Room Tip: You wont be disappointed with this hotel
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
Cork
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 9, 2013 via mobile

This hotel is labelled a four star, that it is not... Average three star except for a beautiful spa.

On arrival the receptionist was very professional and prompt but that was it, not friendly, no real greeting. Our room was fine, quite bright and airy and the beds were comfortable. But... And oh god it's a big but, the noise! Our room was over the carpark and the noise was awful. We got no sleep.
Next morning we asked to be moved and the receptionist who was on duty, a male, was so helpful. He moved us straightaway and to make up for the disturbance and the hassle upgraded us to a suite.
The suite was very nice but again, ruined by the noise. At about 6 the fan in the bathroom came on and would not shut off, on ringing reception we were assured that maintenance would fix the issue while we were out for the day.
Next morning, same problem, 6 o'clock on comes the bathroom fan and no stopping it. On checking out we were informed that the fans in the hotel are on a timer from 7-10. I'm sorry but why would a reportedly four star hotel have fans timed to do this, what need? And if there is a need,time them to come on when guests are likely to be out of the hotel not when they are trying to enjoy a lie in. Which was ruined, twice. Very disappointing.
Two positives, very nice bar staff who gave us glasses and opened a bottle of champagne for us to take to our room. The spa, staff, treatments and surroundings were just lovely. I would certainly revisit the spa, but sadly would be a day visitor staying in a better and I would imagine quieter hotel.

Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank blonde1001
PilloHotel, General Manager at Maldron Hotel Sandy Road Galway, responded to this review, December 23, 2013
Dear Guest,
I was disappointed to read that the enjoyment your stay was impacted by noise. Please be assured that we have since looked into the timing of the fans and have tried to have them as undisruptive as possible. I was glad to read that David tried to assist you by upgrading you to a suite after your first night. It was also lovely to read that the staff in the bar and the Spa looked after you so well. If you did wish to return to stay again with us, then we would do our very best to ensure that your room was quiet and peaceful for your stay. Please contact me directly and I will be very happy to personally look after your booking.
Wellington, New Zealand
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 9, 2013

Stayed here for 2 nights last weekend. Wasn't impressed from the start due to the poor welcome at reception. We arrived about 12.30 which was a lot earlier than check in at 3 but the guy on reception didn't try to accommodate us at all and didn't even bother to tell us the hotel facilities we could use while we waited. We came back and asked again to which he pointed to his watch and told me it was only 2.50. No welcoming words given. Rooms ok, breakfast terrible, again poor service from staff and the place was filthy, dirty dishes everywhere and the buffet was half empty. I stayed in a B&B the night before and the breakfast was far superior. Only good thing was the receptionist who helped with our spa booking. Definitely not a 4 star in my opinion.

1 Thank Jmoon1982
Dublin, Ireland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 8, 2013

Me and my girlfriend stayed in the Pillo Hotel Galway on a Friday night. One night stay with 3 course dinner and breakfast for €109 was excellent value. Food was amazing and the room was excellent. Staff were so friendly. I never write comments, but its the least I can do to show my appreciation to the great stay we had.

I would totally recommend this hotel to anyone thinking of going to Galway. 5 min away from the town too

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
PilloHotel, General Manager at Maldron Hotel Sandy Road Galway, responded to this review, October 17, 2013
Dear Guest,
Thank you for taking the time to write such a lovely review on your recent stay in the hotel. It was great to hear that you both had a very positive experience overall and I have passed on your feedback to all of the team. We look forward to welcoming you both back to stay in the not too distant future.