“Luxurious hotel, not walking distance to Old Galway”

Maldron Hotel Sandy Road Galway
Ranked #17 of 45 Hotels in Galway
“Luxurious hotel, not walking distance to Old Galway”
Reviewed April 24, 2013

Traveling with husband, sister/brother-in-law. Pillo is a very nice hotel, rooms are spacious (we had king sized beds) and clean. The bed was comfortable and sufficient pillows. The exhaust/vent fan in the bathroom did not work. Service in the hotel restaurant was indifferent, almost rude. We sat at a table in the bar area, several servers walked by to other tables including one right next to us, without acknowledging our presence or sending over the assigned server. We had to go to the bar to get drinks, had to remind the bar tender to come back and finish pouring the pints of Guinness, had to flag down another server to order food. As a result we did not eat there after the first night.

Room Tip: For us, Pillo Hotel was too far from the parts of Old Galway we wanted to see.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (174)
  • Hebrew first
Reviewed April 21, 2013

Recently attended spa for what was to be a morning of relaxation followed by lunch. Spa treatments were enjoyable and therapists professional however girl on reception of spa not very friendly.
Following spa treatments we decided to have lunch in the hotel bar, service was appalling. There was duty manager cleaning the bar who didn't acknowledge us even though it was very quiet I asked her for menus which she eventually brought but did not come back to take order. After at least 20 minutes a friendly bar man came to take our order he was clearly under pressure. Another long wait for food and the order was not all brought to the table food was fair & never received remainder of food ordered. This is second occasion where service was poor staff appear disinterested & unhelpful.There are many more places in Galway with much better service & quality and overall friendliness who deserve the business more.

• Stayed April 2013
1 Thank 4334
PilloHotel, General Manager at Maldron Hotel Sandy Road Galway, responded to this review, April 23, 2013
Dear Guest,
I was disappointed to read you reivew on your recent visit to us. I am sorry that you did not find the receptionist to be very friendly in the Spa and this has been passed on to the staff member who may have been working on the desk. She apologises if she came across in any way other than friendly. After discussing your review with the bar staff and the managers, we checked the bar camera from the day that we think you may have been in and saw that the Duty Manager was cleaning the counter top when you came into the bar, and therefore would not have noticed you. I am sorry if you felt that she had not acknowledged you. Michael who was the barperson on duty that day, whom I was happy to read that you found to be friendly, passed by your table shortly after you received the menu's but he felt at that time that you weren't ready to order, so he is sorry if you were left waiting longer than you should have been. This point has been brought to the attention of the manager to ensure that when it is busier, that there is adequate staff to look after the guests. I apologise that you had a delay with your food and that you didn't receive what you ordered. I believe that Michael may have not charged for your starters because of this, but this does not take from the fact that you had a few delays and for this I apologise. We generally receive positive feedback about staff and the service they provide, however, from your review this unfortunately has not been your experience. We would not like to think that you would not return to us. If you would like to return then please feel free to call myself or John Gavin my Deputy and we will be happy to look after you.
Ireland
Reviewed April 20, 2013 via mobile

Rooms are fine but a old fashioned.
Room needed a dusting.
Free car parking.
Staff are friendly.
Hotel is a bit far out of town.
Not worth 4 star's. Its a 3 star hotel

Would recommend if you can get it for less than €80 per night

• Stayed May 2012
Dear Guest,
I was disappointed to read that you didn't find the hotel to be of a 4 star standard and that you found the rooms to be old fashioned. We normally receive positive comments about our rooms as the hotel is only opened since 2005/6. We are also rated annually by Failte Ireland and have to pass their criteria in order to achieve the awarded rating. However, I take your point onboard and I have passed on your comment about dust to our accommodation team. Good standards of cleanliness are very important and our guests generally find their rooms to be clean and to a good standard. so I apologise that we fell down on this. I was happy to read that you availed of our free parking and that you found the staff to be friendly. I hope that you might consider staying with us again. Please let us know if you do and we will be happy to look after you.
Clare
Reviewed April 19, 2013

Firstly it takes alot to make me complain. We stayed at this on the 14th and the 15th of April. Little things bothered me like the room stank of smoke, the toilet didnt flush properly and no wifi in the room but like i said im not one to complain so just ignored it and went on having a good time on my seldom trip away with my partner. We made the mistake of choosing to 'dine' in the bar/bistro on the second night. We were left waiting for 20 minutes before we went to the bar to order drinks and another 5 before we ordered food. When the starters came they were very sloppy. Soup all over the bowl and the cheese on the nachos was burnt. Even worse was the main course the curry came with 4 pieces of chicken one of which was couldnt be eaten as it had black pices and was chewy. I got the vegetable stir fry and it was packed full of Stalks (that any decent chef would throw away) to bulk up the dish. We had ordered chips they came when we had finished our meal so we refused to take them. Thats when the waiter disappeared for a half an hour leaving us with our dirty plate. We wanted dessert but after his return he continued to ignore us so after 45 minutes of waiting we gave up on the idea of having a dessert. I have never in my life had such horrific service. I must say the girl at breakfast was lovely and would feel bad for her to be made go through customer service lectures when she was brilliant. I welcome you to look at the CCTV footage in the bar to see that i am not exaggerating. we ate at around 8.45/9.00 on monday the 15th. I see from your other replies that you said there is always a manager on duty to help. Well when i checked out tuesday morning i complained about it all to stacey and she was lovely but never once offered a manager she took my address and assured me a manager would be in touch. I waited until the end of the week to hear from ye i have heard nothing. I WILL NEVER STAY IN PILLO AGAIN 4 star should be 2/3 star. Very disappointing.

Room Tip: i would advise you not to stay here
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
4 Thank rackelkilleen
PilloHotel, General Manager at Maldron Hotel Sandy Road Galway, responded to this review, April 26, 2013
Dear Rachel,
I was very disappointed to read your review on your stay with us last week. We would have been happy to change your room if you had wished. The issues that you have noted were acted on by the accommodation manager. I am very sorry that you did not receive the service that you would expect when you were dining with us on the Monday evening. I have reviewed the cameras with the staff who were on duty that evening. It is a pity that you didn't bring to the staff members attention that you were not happy with your meal as they would have had no problem in changing it for something different. Our strifry and curry are very popular dishes, therefore, we do value the feedback that we get. I could see that there was a delay in you receiving your chips, which as you pointed out you refused. The staff member had gone on break after serving your main meal, and I apologise that it was not passed over to the other staff members to ensure that you were looked after for the reminder of your meal. I was glad to read that you found Leanne who was on breakfast to be lovely and I have passed on your kind feedback to her. I do hope that the phonecall, late although it was, that my deputy John made to you went some way to apologising for your experience. We would not like to think that you wouldn't return to us, and as John mentioned, if you do wish to return, please contact us directly and we will do our very best to ensure that you have a more enjoyable stay with us.
cork
Reviewed April 17, 2013

Staff so friendly and upgrade us as it was our anniversary. Rooms very very clean and were lovely. Breakfasts were nice. The menu choice was a little poor for t.e evening meal. A broth spicey soup was only choice of soup. Steak bland. But would definitely stay again. Staff five star for friendliness and rooms were absolutely lovely. Niamh in the spa was so nice. Hi enjoyed the spa like nothing i ever experienced. It was unreal.

• Stayed April 2013
Dear Guest,
I was delighted to read that you had an enjoyable anniversary with us and that you were looked after with a complimentary upgrade. I have passed on your kind feedback about the standard of your room and breakfast. I am sorry that you found the evening menu to be limited and this has been passed onto the head chef. It was lovely to hear that you found the staff to be friendly and helpful as this is what we strive for at all times. Niamh was very happy to hear that you enjoyed the treatment with her so much. Our Spa is very popular and it is always lovely to read how our guests enjoy the experience. We look forward to welcoming you back to stay in the near future.
Dublin, Ohio
Reviewed April 13, 2013

Stayed here for a hens weekend found the staff very rude and not very helpfull at all. We had to alter our plans just so we could enjoy ourselves while having dinner. Considering the hotel knew we were a hens party they we not very acommadating to us. I would never recommend this hotel to anyone. I found the manager on duty not very easy to talk to i felt lkie he was looking down on me. There was a lot of us and considering it cost us over 3500 euro i felt like they just took our money and did not care at all about how they made us feel.

Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
Dear Paula,
I was disappointed to read your review on your recent stay. As you will see from other reviews, we are used to having various groups and hen parties staying with us and overall, the feedback that we receive about the staff and the service which they provide tends to be positive. However, I am sorry that on this occasion you felt that you did not experience this and we have taken your feedback on board. We hope that this would not deter you from returning to stay with us again. Please let us know if you do decide to return.
Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed April 10, 2013

Staff were very nice. Stayed for 2 nights for the Connemarathon. Good breakfast starting from 6am, no problem asking for a second bowl of porridge!. Had a few queries before booking and all were responded to very quickly by the manager.

The first night was slightly ruined by a loud group on a hen party. Nothing the hotel could do about that.

Would recommend the hotel for anyone doing the race again next year as it's a short walk to the bus pick up at the Cathedral. Just try to check that there are no hen or stag party bookings there aswell.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business