“A tale of two rooms.” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #16 of 47 Hotels in Galway
County Donegal, Ireland
“A tale of two rooms.”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 10, 2013

After our first night I thought that this weekend family break was going to be a disaster but it turned out to be, quite the opposite. We arrived after midnight & headed straight for the hotel’s, free to guests, underground car park, the entrance to which seemed very narrow. Parked up, we headed for the lifts to reception but found ourselves locked out. No problem though as we rang up to the night porter who immediately unlocked the door for us. Check in was fast & friendly & we were quickly in our room on the first floor, 108, next to the fitness room & overlooking the forecourt of a filling station & a very busy dual carriageway. We noticed the traffic noise from outside immediately but thought that as we were all so tired, we’d sleep through it. Wrong, as I did sleep fairly much uninterrupted but I was the only one that did. On the way to breakfast in the morning we called to reception to ask if we could change rooms. We spoke with David who was genuinely surprised to hear of our noise problems & without hesitation, he agreed to move us to another room overlooking a courtyard. When we were heading back to the room after breakfast, David beckoned us over to give us the key cards to our new room & told us that there was no need to be in any hurry to vacate our current room. That was typical of the service & attentiveness that we received all through our stay.
As the majority of our stay was in our second room, the ratings with my review are based on that room.
Our new room was 212 on the second floor, was overlooking a courtyard & was indeed, much quieter than our first room. A nice size, it was clean & comfortable & an adequate size for us, two adults & two children. With plenty of natural light & a nice temperature, the room had a large wardrobe, iron & ironing board, safe, folding luggage rack, mini bar, tv, hairdryer, full length mirror, workstation, tea/coffee/biscuits, smoke alarm, air con, electric fan heater to help to heat or cool the room & two comfortable beds. Internet access was via cable & wall socket at the workstation. No issues whatsoever with noise from either inside or outside of the hotel. With all the same facilities, except for the electric fan, our first room was virtually identical in appearance to our second room
The bathroom was on the small side but still okay, was bright & clean & had bath, detachable shower head with lead on a riser rail with great pressure & plenty of hot water, shower curtain, toiletries, wall extractor fan, hairdryer, dual voltage shaving socket, mirror & dual flush toilet. We asked for extra towels from the housekeeping staff & were given them immediately.
Dinner was superb, served by friendly, efficient & attentive staff & was very reasonably priced. I had monkfish which was excellent & my wife thoroughly enjoyed her lamb meal. For the children, a three course kids menu at less than nine euros was great value.
The bar was busy with a nice atmosphere, friendly staff & plenty of comfortable seating.
Breakfast was good, served until 1100 at weekends. On our first morning we went down before 1000 & there were plenty of tables available. On Sunday morning we went down after 1000 & there were very few free tables. It got particularly busy just before 1030. There was plenty to choose from with cereals, full fry, croissants, pastries, cheese, ham slices, toast, yoghurt, fresh whole fruit, fruit slices, prunes, fruit salad, brown wheaten bread, tea, coffee & fruit juices.
Free wireless internet was available in the public areas of the hotel & there was an internet station & a small business centre located right next to the reception desk. We didn’t use the fitness room but it did seem to be well equipped. Complimentary daily national newspapers & fresh apples were available at reception.
Checking out was fast, smooth & very friendly & I had no hesitation in telling the reception staff that we had had a very pleasant stay.
Location wise, the hotel is approx 15 to 20 minutes walk from Eyre Square. There is a well stocked supermarket attached to the hotel, a cineplex & a bowling centre nearby & several shopping centres on the route to Eyre Square.
Thanks to the service that we received & to the friendliness & attentiveness of the staff & the quality of the hotel’s facilities, I’d have no hesitation in returning to the Pillo Hotel.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
4 Thank Gaildorfblues

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (165)
  • Hebrew first
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 4, 2013

Just back from a 2 nite stay, when checking in i was asked for my card details to pre authorise it and that no money would be taken off it, stayed in a twin room, room was nice got our breakfast up to the room both mornings food was average u dont get everything that they say on the card, we ordered room service for dinner food was ok very dried out, we got a full body massage done each, the spa was lovely and the people were lovely very friendly, on checking out of the hotel i paid by cash and later found out that the money was taken out of my account by card aswell, i rang up the hotel and told them this they didnt deal with the situation very professionally kept telling me they would ring me back never did i had to keep ringing them, they told me that normally when u pay by cash when checking out the money on the card will be blocked for a few days which they never told me when checking out and have caused a lot of hassle with bank now, after this i would never stay at this hotel again after the way they dealt with the situation

• Stayed March 2013
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank sylviasheehan
PilloHotel, General Manager at Maldron Hotel Sandy Road Galway, responded to this review, March 19, 2013
Dear Guest,
I was very disappointed to read your review on your recent stay. I tried to call you a few times on the mobile number that we have for you, but unfortunately, I didn't get a reply and I could not leave a voicemail. I was hoping to speak with you regarding the pre authorisation of your card. This would be a standard procedure in all hotels, to have a credit card as a guarantee or as a way of covering any extras which a guest may have. Normally it is explained on checkin that if you do not choose to use this card as a method of payment on departure, then the amount pre authorised would be held for up to a week by the bank, therefore, the guest can decide whether to use their card, or pay by another method if they don't wish for an amount to be held. From my discussions with the reception team, David recalls checking you out on departure where you decided to pay by cash instead of using your card for payment. Sophie and David made me aware that they had both spoken with you on the phone after departure when you were querying the pre authorisation that showed up on your credit card account as a result of not using the card for payment. We are sorry if the explaination which they gave was not satisfactory and that is why I decided to call you myself to try to resolve the problem for you. I apologise that you found your room service meal not to be up to standard. It is a pity that you didn't mention this, as we would have been happy to replace it for you on the evening. I have passed this on to our chef. I have passed on your kind feedback about the Spa to the team. We hope that you may reconsder returning to stay with us at some point in the future.
Kind Regards,
Siobhan Burke
Kildare
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 3, 2013 via mobile

Just back from pillo stayed 2 nights it was my birthday which we mentioned on booking. We were checked in no one said happy birthday or mentioned they even recieved my husband's comments. Went to room went back down to be moved as mattress was that thin when you sat on it you hit the base of the bed. Second room was decent size same as the last and mattress seemed better. Had lunch in bar ok nothing special. Breakfast ordered to room all good except the scrambled egg which looked like angel whip and had no resemblance or texture to reassure me it was egg I was eating. Card to leave out for room services states any special requests to ring down your order which I did the 2nd morning to be informed it was too busy and I hadnt left the card out. The card has 2 boxes standard full irish or continental which you couldn't alter. Went down after my 2nd call and had no luck and at least you can get a fried egg down there. Beds are super king aka 2 doubles stuck together. About 15 min walk to Eyre square or shop street area along a busy main road. All in all not a 4 star but decent value if you want cheap and cheerful and don't mind the long walk into town. I wouldn't be rushing back! Service is definitley not a priority here.

• Stayed March 2013
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Sue79Kildare
Dublin, Ireland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 2, 2013

I stayed at the Pillo because of an evening meeting being held there, and as a single woman travelling on my own, decided to stay rather than drive back late. First off, there's secure well lit underground parking and it's free! Very friendly welcome on arrival, requested a quiet single room and was very pleasantly surprised to get a spacious, double room with modern decor and good bathroom. The bed linen was particularly nice and I had a really good ( quiet) nights sleep. I didn't use the spa or fitness area but looked good. Breakfast next morning ticked all the boxes, lots of selection, free newspaper, and as it was included in the rate, I thought this was the best value hotel I'd stayed in for a long time ( 59 euro all in) and would definitely stay again 4.5 stars at 3 star rate.

Room Tip: Rooms facing the courtyard are quiet
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
3 Thank Dormather
Ireland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 27, 2013

I stayed here in Feb 13 for a quick citybreak with my husband. The check in was super fast and friendly. The room was very spacious with a MASSIVE bed as well as a single bed. Very comfy. Heating was easily controlled. The room was looking onto a busy road and was a little noisy when the window was open. The bar staff were friendly and very efficient. The housekeeping ladies were lovely and even posted a lost earring back to me. This room was a very reasonable cost of €78 for one night b&b. I am happy to recommend to anyone. The only draw back was the lack of a swimming pool, but I will certainly be back again.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank CBIreland
Tipperary
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 26, 2013

I stayed here in early Feb 2013, and it wasnt bad. The check in was very friendly, the rooms were very decent, and it was a good location. The waiter that served us food in the bar was top quality, friendly and very efficient, and was left a sizeable tip as a result. However, I needed two documents scanned to my email address urgently, and when I asked at reception, I was pointed to a business section next to reception which comprised of a computer and a scanner/copier. When I couldn't work the scanner, I asked for help at reception, and was told that noone knew how to work it, as it was new. This meant I had to walk 20 minutes to find an internet cafe in order to do my scanning. Surely if a new system gets installed, someone gets trained in how to use it and how to show paying gurests? Very disappointing.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business