“Excellent hotel”

Maldron Hotel Sandy Road Galway
Ranked #17 of 46 Hotels in Galway
Reviewed January 3, 2013

We stayed here over Christmas for 6 days and have to say that it's rare to come across such friendly staff. From the moment we arrived to when we left, all the staff were welcoming and seemed to genuinely happy..We were also really surprised that when we returned to our room on Christmas even there was a Christmas card and tree decoration left for us-really unexpected and a very nice touch. The hotel itself is lovely and really clean and modern. Will definitely stay again, and would recommend for anyone staying in galway for a break.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
Write a ReviewReviews (1,344)

Reviewed December 18, 2012

Stayed here for one night in a twin room with my daughter because we were both attending Xmas parties in Galway.
The room was warm & comfortable, good value & free parking. The staff were attentive & friendly.
Visited the spa the previous week & really enjoyed the experience, so relaxing.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed December 18, 2012 via mobile

We stayed in the pillo 14-17th Dec inc.
We really enjoyed our stay. We were upgraded to a junior suite as it was our 10th wedding anniversary. Breakfast had good choice of foods. The Bar food was excellent. We also had a lovely sit down meal on the Saturday night, the Italian/Spanish waitor(can't think of his name, was really friendly & couldn't do enough for us. Hotel was ideally situated for all the shops on the Headford Rd, & it only took 10-15 mins to walk in to Eyre Square. We will definitely consider the Pillo for future visits.

• Stayed: December 2012
1  Thank Grahamlevins
Reviewed December 15, 2012

I'm sitting on the huge king-sized bed in my hotel room, dreading check out time, when I will have to leave this pampered haven and return home. The past two nights here have been amazing, from the delicious food at the hotel's restaurant, to the amazingly relaxing spa, to the huge, comfortable bedroom. The hotel's staff were perfect, especially Jennifer O'Neil and a gentleman who was working the front desk but whose name I never got. Jennifer helped me out during our entire stay and assured that we had the best stay possible, and the receptionist helped me out when I had a few questions and also helped me sort out problems connecting to the internet.This mini-vacation has been amazing and was the perfect way to make our holiday season special. We'll definitely be back!

Room Tip: We booked a room facing the courtyard. No sounds of traffic and a great night's sleep.
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
PilloHotel, General Manager at Maldron Hotel Sandy Road Galway, responded to this reviewResponded December 31, 2012

Dear Guest,
Thank you for taking the time to post your lovely review about your recent stay with us. I was delighted to read that you enjoyed all aspects of your stay and that you also got to relax in our Spa. I have passed on your lovely feedback to Jennifer and also to David at reception for the help that they gave to you. They were very happy to receive your compliments about them. We look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel on your next trip to Ireland.

Reviewed December 14, 2012

Excellent value for money. This hotel has got a lift, a safe in your room for your valuables, a mini fridge and an ice cubes machine in your floor. It ticks all the boxes. Breakfast was superb. Staff were very good. Definitely I will come back again.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank Entertainment100
PilloHotel, General Manager at Maldron Hotel Sandy Road Galway, responded to this reviewResponded December 28, 2012

Dear Guest,
I was delighted to read that you enjoyed your recent stay with us and that you found the breakfast and the service of the staff to be to a high standard. We look forward to welcoming you back to stay in the future.

Reviewed December 7, 2012

My husband and I were on a trip to Ireland -- business for him, pleasure for me. The Pillo was a little hard to find but as we accidentally came out of the right roundabout, we looked up and there it was. It is conveniently attached to a fuel station/convenience store. Shopping is everywhere around. It has wonderful underground parking which is free for guests and we were treated very well by the staff.
Our room was nice. Clean, bright and comfortable. The beds are firm, a little too firm for me but I have a pillow top at home.
Bathroom was good size, we could actually brush our teeth at the same time. The room was roomy enough to get around okay, not huge, but not small especially by european standards.
We had breakfast each morning downstairs which was nice. The usual, with hot and cold food available. I kept to the standard continental while my hubby had eggs and bacon. That was nice and easy in the mornings.
On our full free day, we asked the lass at the desk what she would suggest for a nice drive. She suggested the route that the tour buses take during the summer months. We were able to explore smaller villages, the Kylemore Abbey (read that review) as well as an abandoned Friary off the beaten path. We even took a detour and went to the ocean. It was only a ten minute detour, but it was fun, cold -- but fun. We drove on the left (wrong side for us) but it was a blast. 100km/hr and a meter from the wall!!! Fun!!!! She certainly sent us on a day where we could really take in the real Ireland .... LOVED IT, thanks for the suggestion!
Would stay at the Pillo again.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank VacationJunky4445

Dear Guest,
I was delighted to read that our hotel suited both your husband's and your own needs on your recent trip to Ireland. I was glad to read that you were able to avail of our free parking and that you were well looked after by the team. I have passed your kind feedback about your room and breakfast to our accomodation manager and chef. I was also happy to read that you enjoyed the trip mapped out for you by the receptionist and that it added to the enjoyment of your trip. We look forward to welcoming you back again on your next trip to Ireland.

Reviewed November 27, 2012

We stayed here (group of 5 in 3 rooms) on a Saturday night in November and were very impressed with the hotel. We arrived before 3 but they made an effort to get our rooms ready early, which they didn't have to. We'd a drink at the bar while waiting, bar manager was very nice and made sure we were looked after, even though it was busy.

The room we had was a king and was really spacious. At €88 booked direct on the hotel site, it was way better than I expected (this was cheapest in Galway that night and I know other hotels would not be as good). Bed was very comfortable, one of the best I've slept on in a hotel. All furnishings were new looking and everything very clean. Bathroom was big also, we'd a walk in shower, which is a little messy but didn't cause any hassle.
bath towels could be a bit bigger but thats just personal preference!
Temperature in room was perfect, not too hot.TV is programmed to welcome you by name-nice little touch.

I lived in Galway while at college so know that the location of the Pillo is very handy. We walked into town for lunch,drinks, shopping etc and walked home that night (taxi would be cheap though).
The parking underground is free and after checking out they also allowed us to leave the car there as long as we needed, nice of them to do that also.

breakfast wasn't included in our booking but full Irish was only €10 and couldn't really fault it, good value. Personal preference again, but don't like those toasters that have a tray, they burn the edges & people have to queue to use it. Roast spuds at breakfast also weren't the best...but rest was good!

We all really enjoyed our stay and all said we'd stay at the Pillo again. Staff definitely made a difference, being friendly, helpful & mannerly. Highly recommend!

• Stayed: November 2012
1  Thank missymissMeath

Der Guest,
Thank you for reviewing your recent stay with us. I was delighted to read that your group had such an enjoyable time and that you were happy with all aspects of the hotel as well as the service that you received, especially at reception and the bar. I have passed on your lovely feedback to all of the staff who are always delighted to hear that their customer service is complimented. We look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel in the not too distant future.