“Heineken Cup Package”

Maldron Hotel Sandy Road Galway
Ranked #17 of 46 Hotels in Galway
Reviewed November 21, 2011

Very enjoyable weekend break, even though Connacht didn't win. The package included two nights bed and breakfast and one evening meal for €149.

The one problem I did have was upon check in I was told that this rate was based on two people sharing and that if I wanted to stay there I would have to pay an extra €35 per night as a "supplement". I made it clear (or at least I thought I did) to a lady called Emma on the phone when booking the room that I was on my own. The rate quoted was €149. When I asked to speak to her upon my arrival, she saw my displeasure and said she could do the package for €169. Inflation I guess. She was however very mannerly and was quick to resolve the situation.

As well as Emma, the maître d’ and the night porter (the Polish one, he's in his 40's? but very personable and obliging) were stand out members of staff. Could not do enough for you.

But one thing guys, if your booking a smoking room, ask for an ashtray at reception as when I arrived in my smoking room, I couldn't find one. Was it too much to expect?

Room Tip: 3rd floor facing the rear courtyard. No noise.
  • Stayed: November 2011, traveled solo
3  Thank David O
Cian L, General Manager at Maldron Hotel Sandy Road Galway, responded to this reviewResponded November 23, 2011

Dear David O ,

Thank you for your valuable feedback, I appreciate your understanding with regard to our Heiniken Cup package and I hope you enjoyed the Break. It is policy to have all smoking rooms stocked with an Ashtray and my apologies for not having one in your room upon arrival.

Kind Regards,

Cian Landers

There are newer reviews for Maldron Hotel Sandy Road Galway

999 - 1,005 of 1,308 reviews

Reviewed November 20, 2011

Our rooms were fab, lovely and clean. Thought the soundproofing overall was pretty good, although me and my friends were on a party weekend so we wouldn't really have noticed! Breakfast was served buffet style but some of the hot food had gone cold so wasn't really that appetising. The only real problem was at reception. The girl who dealt with us obviously didn't have a clue what she was doing. We had originally booked 4 rooms but had cancelled one of them as some of our friends were unable to come. She couldnt seem to get her head around that at all and it took ages for her to sort it out. Then when i was paying i handed her 100euro, expecting to get back 33 as the room was 67, but she shortchanged me 30euro and i had to ask for the rest of the money back. Made me think she was only training in her job, but if that was the case someone should have been there helping her out. Overall though, a good stay!

• Stayed: November 2011, traveled with friends
1  Thank angiemcgirr
Reviewed November 15, 2011

Walking to the city center was an easy 20 minute walk. Ask for a room on the inside of the hotel so it's quieter. No street noise. Breakfast was cooked to order and was good. Stayed here two nights and enjoyed it.

Reviewed November 12, 2011

Not a bad hotel but I am sure you could find one that is in a nicer location. It is in the middle of industrial estates and 20-25 min walk away from city centre.Spa is tiny and not as big as the website makes it out to look.Breakfast was nice, staff friendly.Free parking a plus.

Reviewed November 10, 2011

just returned from a wonderful three day break in galway city. stayed in the pillo hotel what an experience. The staff were so helpful and eager to make our stay a n enjoyable one . They are a great team . The accommodation is excellent clean and comfortable. The place was so relaxing. We were part of a group of 18 and this should have meant extra pressure for the staff but they were just so efficient with no delay at meal times. We ate in the hotel each evening and there was always great variation in the menu. The food was delicious.
This is a great hotel with the best team of people i have ever come accross. It is so close to the city and yet so relaxing. I would totally recommend this hotel.

• Stayed: November 2011, traveled with friends
Reviewed November 8, 2011

servicable hotel with free parking - don't have to get caught in core traffic if you stay here however bit a of a long and not that pleasant walk to the bars/restaurants in the center of town. good facilities and super friendly staff. was filled with drunken high school prom attendees (or whatever irish equivalent is), but overall acceptable and room was nice. i'd say good if your touring but not a hotel you'd hang out in.

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed November 5, 2011

Our second time in this hotel and I can highly recommend it! Staff at check-in are extremely friendly and check-in is fast. Actually staff throughout the hotel are very friendly and helpful and it was good to see that the same staff were there on our second visit! We had dinner in the Olive Tree Bistro. Service was efficient, atmosphere was relaxing, and food was good and very reasonably priced. Thai Green Curry is very tasty! Desserts are yummy! Rooms are very comfortable. Breakfast was well organised and food hot and good. Location is convenient - approximately 15 minutes walk into the city but there is a shopping centre a couple of minutes walk away. All in all we had a very enjoyable stay and we'll be back!