“Nice place shame about the dining experience.”
Review of Salthill Hotel

Salthill Hotel
Ranked #4 of 45 Hotels in Galway
cork
“Nice place shame about the dining experience.”
Reviewed August 28, 2010

We stayed for two nights in this hotel. The bedroom was lovely and clean and the household staff were brilliant. I do realise that when we stayed in the hotel it was very busy but the dining room was really the low point of the whole trip. A couple of the staff were less than pleasant - one in particular. One morning at breakfast. I asked very nicely if she could turn off the air conditioning as it was really cold ( i was not the only one who thought this). She practically snapped at me and said very grudgingly said she would. My husband who did not know of my encounter with this staff member got up and asked for a slice of bread (did not even want to bother them by asking for more toast!). I'm afraid he got more of the same unpleasantness and attitude and was really shocked by it.
Another little niggle is that on the first morning I asked for green tea and they had none. Neither did they have any other variety of herbal tea Now nowadays even the most basic of bed and breakfast accomodation will provide these and we were staying in a 4 star hotel. Foolishly I assumed this would be rectified by Day 2 but again no joy there.
I did bring my concerns to the receptionist when I was checking out. She did apologise on behalf of the hotel but somehow I wonder if that will make any difference.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (424)
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Kinnelon, New Jersey
Reviewed August 24, 2010

One of the last hotels on our trip. Was across from water and we arrived late so just decided to eat in the hotel. Pub in the hotel was large with big tv screens. Food was excellent, service was great and we had a lot of fun.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with family
NJ USA
Reviewed August 23, 2010

Service was excellent although most staff were not actually Irish, but they were helpful.
Public mens room could be cleaner, but otherwise very good...

• Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple
Stafford, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 22, 2010

Firstly you could not beat this location - lovely walk to Salthill centre or Galway. The site is expensive - E35 a night for Motorhome, 2 Adults and 1 child - it has basic facilities which need updating, but facilities are clean, though no soap and often no toilet paper , showers are 1 Euro or 2 if you wish to wash and condition your hair, otherwise the water will run out. As previously stated in other reviews - cash only, would not take E60 as down payment for two nights to allow us time to go to town to the cash point, it was pay full now - in cash, or get the cash and come back. I did not like the camp site for the price, and wished we had wild camped.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with family
Dublin
Reviewed August 5, 2010

We have been going to The Salthill Court Hotel in Galway for the past 8 years. When it was old and when it got a new face lift. The new rooms were like home from home. Food excellant and staff very friendly.
Susan kerins

• Stayed June 2009, traveled with friends
Galway, Ireland
Reviewed August 1, 2010

I recently attended a wedding in the Salthill Hotel in july 2010. Admittedly the hotel is lovely. i found the bar to be very big and comfortable. it was decorated with artificial palm trees which gave it that summer feeling. ( i thought it was a fabulous touch). the function rooms were big and also nicely decorated. The only problem i encountered was with the staff. They were rude and ignorant. During the meal of the wedding i had ordered seabass. Everyone at my table were on the verge of finishing their meals whilst i had yet not received mine. A member of staff was walking by so i told him i had yet not received my meal and would he be able to find out what the problem was. He let out a little laugh and said "im not serving your table". i was disgusted. One of the duties of working in the hospitality industry is to be customer friendly and deal with the customers in a professional manner. I eventually got my meal after having a few words with a manager. I found the starter, maincourse and desert very unsatisfying. Later on that evening i saw members of staff relaxing and sitting on the stage during the speeches. this was very unprofessional. i will not be recommending this hotel to anyone.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with family
1 Thank wilkinson11
ByrneHotelGroup, Manager at Salthill Hotel, responded to this review, August 9, 2010
Dear Guest Wilkinson11,

I would like to begin by thanking you for visiting our hotel and for taking the time to write your helpful review.

I am delighted you found the hotel to be lovely, and I am particularly happy that our best efforts during the decoration of the bar are having the desired effects. I am also very glad you were impressed with the setting for the meal.

I am very disappointed to read about your dining experience. It comes as very sad news especially to our various managers and wedding co-ordinator who are constantly on the floor during the entire meal service and who endeavour to check with all tables throughout the meal. It is these people who have worked so hard in establishing Salthill Hotel as a premier Galway wedding venue renowned for high standards.

We appreciate and take seriously all customer feedback positive and negative and again I would like to thank you for taking the time to express your comments. I hope to welcome you back to Salthill hotel, hopefull not in the too distant future.

Warm Regards,
Salthill Hotel
Castlebar, Ireland
Reviewed August 1, 2010

My daughter got married in june. From the first day she and her new husband spoke to Pauline they were assured of a quality service and that is exactly what they got. It really made our plans go so smoothly and we were all so relaxed coming up to the wedding .
Nothing was a problem, to any of the staff. We had guests who had food allergies and they were attended to with the utmost courtesy . Any concerns the couple had beforehand, they were able to discuss with the wedding co-ordinator and they simply vanished.
On the wedding day they had nothing left to think of but to enjoy the best day of their lives. The staff were so attentive and Una even noticed that I was not having wine and arrived to the table with bottled water instead of what was in the jug. I was never in this hotel before and was so impressed and would have no hesitation in recommending it to any future brides to be.This is the kind of service that will get Ireland back on its feet again. Thank you to all concerned

• Stayed June 2010, traveled with family