“Great visit for our group” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Salthill Hotel

Salthill Hotel
Ranked #4 of 47 Hotels in Galway
Naples, Maine
“Great visit for our group”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 12, 2014

We spent three nights at the Salthill Hotel in March and were very pleased with the hotel and staff. The food was excellent and the service matched the food. The location right on Galway Bay was a huge plus. Nice and comfortable rooms and added bonus, altogether a very nice experience and I would recommend this hotel highly.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with friends
2 Thank PBear50

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (412)
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 8, 2014

Just back from a well earned one night away, booked at short noticed, requested a sea view room and was given an excellent rate thank you Valerie in Reservations who was very helpful and friendly.
Check in was swift, efficient and friendly.
Rooms clean and spacious ....amazing views!
We have Dinner in what a very busy bar ...there was an irish dancing competition on and the place was very busy however, we did not have to wait long for our Food and Iwana (think that's how you spell the ladys name!) was brilliant, friendly and very funny! Told her it was our Birthdays and she brought a birthday dessert out for us!! excellent customer service!
Breakfast next morning was great lots of choice.
Highly recommend the Hotel will definitely be back...its 3* should be 4 at least!!! come on the management get yourselves upgraded you deserve it!

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with friends
2 Thank Ilovehotels1603
Dublin Ireland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 6, 2014

Stayed at the Salthill Hotel on Friday 4th-6th of April,2 nights. Lovely room,the shower was brilliant,but my only regret was the noise,coming outside from the main reception area,people smoking,and talking,shouting,singing,at 03.30,(X-Factor rejects,singing The Fields of Athenry),is not very good.I complained to someone at reception,on saturday evening,and they put up notices,to keep the noise down. There were 2 weddings,on friday and saturday,but the friday wedding was the worst. Next time i stay in a hotel,i'll make sure,i'm away from the front entrance. Breakfast area in the Salthill Hotel was very good,and i have to give top marks for Jean,an excellent worker. Overall,a lovely hotel.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with friends
2 Thank thomas p
belfast
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 31, 2014

My wife and I stayed for 2 nights from the 26/3/2014 and issues with customer service began at check in. With an empty lobby at 4pm my wife approached reception and was kept waiting while reception staff continued to discuss lets say non-work related issues. When she was eventually addressed and confirmed reservation, the receptionist took a very assumed comfortability with my wife by addressing her on a first name basis. Further to this, the receptionist told us that as we had pre-paid our room was "one of these rooms", whatever that meant? She then proceeded to tell us that the leisure facilities opened at 7am, however they open at 6.30am.
Upon entering "one of these rooms", a family room on the third floor, it was spacious, clean in obvious visual areas but under closer unintended scrutiny, certain areas of the room had thick dust, hairs, mould and fluid staining. Upon calling reception about the possibility to move, reception informed us that "all rooms are taken at present". However they did kindly send someone to unblock the sink as we couldn't even use the tap to wash our hands! (room 307).
The purpose of this break was to explore western Ireland so thankfully little time was spent in the hotel but service issues continued that evening. Whilst seated in the bar, only one member of staff was on the floor and we sat for nearly 25 minutes before being asked if we would like something. The coffee that arrived was cold and the tea cup was dirty.
To add to this as we arrived at our room the key did not work, certainly not an issue in itself until it happened on 4 occasions within 2 days! On the fourth occasion, just after breakfast, i informed the night manager on reception that this kept happening to which he replied, "you need to keep your mobile away from the key, the magnetic field is interfering with the key". Essentially then the night manager was accusing me of the keys failure, not to mention that at this point my phone was in the car for the days outing!
During breakfast on both mornings i was not asked if i wanted tea or toast when seated, instead i watched people arrive and asked. In both instances i had to seek staff and on the second morning as i went up to get more orange juice my table was completely cleared! Apparently it seemed as though i had left, even though i couldn't have been more than 40 seconds, and my plate was still half full of food and coffee untouched! The staff member did apologise but then forgot to bring the coffee again.
All in all my overall impression of the hotel is unfavourable. Apart from excellent gym facilities, the reception staff lack common respect, the floor staff are lacking competence and the rooms will not pass as clean under examination.

Room Tip: Ask for a room that doesn't have paper thin walls!!
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank gerry33Belfast
Fkillilea, General Manager at Salthill Hotel, responded to this review, April 1, 2014
Dear Gerry33Belfast
Thank you for taking the time to tell us of your experience with us. All comments help us to improve our service so that to ensure a satisfactory visit for all our guests. Therefore it is disappointing to hear that your stay was not a pleasant one.

I can only hope that you will be so kind as to contact me directly either by phone 091 548816 or by email on fionakillilea@salthillhotel.com so I can follow up in a more specific way and perhaps persuade you to return to stay with us so as we can restore your faith in the Salthill hotel Experience.
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 29, 2014

My wife and I spent a mid-week break at the Salthill Hotel last week March 26/27-2014. From the moment we walked in the door we were greeted by very friendly staff on the reception. Our room was very spacious on the second floor and spotless. Breakfast was excellent and the dining room staff made us so welcome. The pool/spa area is wonderful, sauna and steam room is just what one needs after a long walk , There is also free underground parking.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
2 Thank 636sean
Fkillilea, General Manager at Salthill Hotel, responded to this review, April 3, 2014
Dear 636Sean

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. We are delighted that you and your wife had a very pleasant stay at Salthill Hotel. We strive to continuously give the best customer service and surroundings to all that visit.

We look forward to seeing you soon

Best Regards

Fiona Killilea
Dublin
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 29, 2014

My overall impression of the Salthill Hotel was favourable. I wasn't involved in the booking process, so can't comment on it. Check-in was smooth and when problems arose with the originally assigned meeting room (more about this below), the reception staff rose to the occasion and efficiently sorted things out. I have to acknowledge that my colleagues' late arrival added to the mix and so I give extra marks to the receptionist because of their helpfulness. High marks too to the head porter (I think that's who I spoke to) who asked me what was wrong with the first assigned meeting room and no doubt expedited the setting up of the second room.
So, what were the 4-star elements? The glamorous reception area and the service at reception. A wedding party checked in during the afternoon and added to the glamour.
As a location for a business meeting, the hotel was good value, but only in the context of its entirety. The two meeting rooms that I saw were rather lacklustre. The Courtyard Suite where our meeting was originally located did not impress, but I've seen worse so I prepared to make the best of it. On opening the door I saw that the table had been set up, but was surprised at how dingy the room was. One curtain had been drawn back, so I opened the others to let more light in. I was taken aback at how exposed the room was, and how very visible it was from the surrounding bedrooms. Not ideal for the purpose of the meetings. The Courtyard Suite comprises 2 rooms, which when the dividing doors are pulled would leave one room completely in darkness as there are no windows in that part of the suite. I also noted that the bin hadn't been emptied, there was a newspaper on a chair and other litter on the window ledge. (I later drew this to the attention of the head porter) I debated with myself whether we should use the room but the sound of hammering tipped the scales. I went back to reception and mentioned the noise. The receptionist was surprised that I could hear the noise and explained that the work (she didn't say what it was) had to be done. Fair enough.
I was offered the Salerno Suite on the second floor and went to have a look. An oddly shaped room, it was set up for a bridge club and I wondered how quickly it could be re-jigged for my meeting, given that my colleagues had arrived and needed to get started. To be fair it didn't take as long as I'd feared and we got going. Unfortunately, there was no electronic key to the door, and I didn't realise we could lock the door from the inside until staff had popped their heads around the door on at least 6 occasions during the afternoon. I eventually went out and spoke to someone, who told me there was no sign on the door about not entering. I said I wasn't given a sign by reception (I had mentioned not being able to lock the room earlier at reception) and the person said she'd tell reception. As my colleagues and I left the room over an hour later there was still no sign on the door. We could hear hammering intermittently throughout the day, but the noise (arising from carpet being laid on corridors on the first and second floor) was bearable.
Other things that let the hotel down were:
trays with dirty plates and sheets left on the floor in the corridors on the first floor;
the toilet opposite the Courtyard Suite had no toilet roll-holders, so rolls were left in a variety of places;
the liquid soap dispenser in that toilet was nearly empty at about 10.30am and at lunchtime still hadn't been replaced;
the toilets on the ground floor were marked off as having been cleaned at 4pm when it was still only 3.30pm;
someone I took to be a chambermaid, while very pleasant and clean in appearance, looked rather unkempt;
lightbulbs and tools left on or near the stairs;
guest smoking just outside the entrance doors - a disguised, designated space would help;
no dishing of the footpath from the car park to the hotel entrance to facilitate wheeled suitcases;
and a narrow entrance to the car park.
Allowing for the departure of a group of older people in the morning, the arrival of a wedding party in the afternoon, the carpet laying, and the lateness of my colleagues, the reception service was efficient and always courteous.
The real high point for me was the delicious seafood chowder in the bar - creamy and with large chunks of salmon and great value. One of my colleagues enjoyed her smoked salmon.
To sum up, although I have listed specific deficits, overall I liked the hotel and thought it was good value for money.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled on business
1 Thank Uranus7
Dear Uranus7

Thank you for your in depth feedback of the Salthill Hotel, we appreciate all comments as this helps us keep to our high standards of customer service and ensure that are facilities are meeting all requirements.

It is unfortunate that your whole experience was not to your liking however I thank you for your kind and generous comments on many areas within the hotel.

You may contact me directly if you would like to discuss this in more detail either on email at fionakillilea@salthillhotel.com or on 091 522711.

I look forward to hearing from you.

Best Regards,
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 27, 2014

Stayed once again at this hotel March bank holiday for one night, accompanied by husband and both sisters in law. Had a spot of bar food when we arrived very good. Went into Galway city for dinner that evening. Leisure facilities great. Huge pool for the stronger swimmers.
The smaller pool great and same depth. Jacuzzi and sauna great. We have stayed
here on a few different occasions. would highly recommend this hotel, staff are very friendly
throughout. Enjoy.