“our wedding day” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #4 of 47 Hotels in Galway
galway
“our wedding day”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 9, 2013

We got married there last Friday 4th October. As I have worked in the hospitality industry for the past 10 years, attention to detail was crucial. However Pauline and her staff went over and beyondfor us, the atmosphere was amazing, the service from each member of staff was impeccable. Most importantly the food was 5 star quality...not one of our 220 guests had a single negative comment. Thank you to all the staff who made our weekend one we will never forget.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank GalwayTantan

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (413)
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Fahan, Ireland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 9, 2013

I went to Galway to compete the 10k for Cancer Care West and chose this Hotel on this basis.I was pleased I did.Nice comfy room great shower and when it came time to eat wow!Was greeted by an Italian waiter who had the gift of the gab but boy the food was great.We went along with some of his recommendations and were not disappointed.Lamb shank,Fresh Dover Sole and Red & White wine wonderful.We will be back.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Champaign-Urbana, Illinois
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 5, 2013

We stayed at the Salthill Hotel for 2 nights and enjoyed the spaciousness, clean and well-lit bathroom, and comfy bed. I would have liked it if the bed actually had a sheet between me and the duvet because the duvet was heavy and made it warm to sleep, even with the window open as wide as possible. I agree that the wall insulation could be better. I could hear conversations next door. At least I didn't hear the TV or loud kids, or romance... The bar and breakfast offered good food. The hotel is a stopping point for tour groups so the breakfast is super crowded as soon as it opens and then is less so within 30 mins. Easy access to a road the leads to all the major throughways so that you can avoid driving back thru Galway and getting confused. We were past Limerick in 75 mins but that was on a Sat. morning so no commuting traffic. If I returned, I'd probably look at a B&B just because of the noise factor. The price was good, though.

Room Tip: Try to be at the end of a hallway to cut down on rooms sharing the walls.
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank IL61856
ireland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 5, 2013

The Salthill Hotel is a bit of a walk from the city centre or downtown Salthill, but it's a fine hotel, good bar and restaurant, good clean rooms and great staff. I would stay there for any occasion and often have both on business and with family.

Room Tip: there are some great family rooms at good prices, ask at reception
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
England
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 4, 2013

We spent 3 nights in this modern hotel in a large bedroom on the 4th floor overlooking Galway Bay. The bed was very comfortable but unfortunately whoever was next door did not like going to bed and at 1am their tv was still blasting away in our room. Even when it was turned off, all sorts of sounds were heard.
We did not have trouble taking breakfast( warnings of delays were given) and staff were very helpful. Buffet quality was average unlike our evening meals in both the restaurant and bar which were excellent.
Reception staff were very helpful and friendly. Overall, we had a relaxing time at the Strandhill Hotel allowing for that disturbing noise. Plenty of car parking space was available.

Room Tip: Try and get a sea view room. Well worth it.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank CrankyNWEngland
Baltimore, Maryland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 3, 2013

We had stayed for three nights for a wedding (the one mentioned in some of the reviews down below) and it was awesome. The staff was amazing. In the Blackrock bar you never waited long for a drink and the service was excellent. The manager was great, even tending to people himself. The bar was packed, mainly from the wedding, and the hotel did a great job staffing it. Especially the morning after when the All Ireland Hurling Final was on. Our room was very nice, although it had three beds which I thought was strange. The morning breakfast was outstanding. Can't beat a good fry. The staff put on an excellent wedding. I didn't notice a thing out of place.Location is great. Right on the promenade by the water. A group of us brave guests went diving off the tower at the end of the prom into the freezing water. Really wakes you up after a long night. There is also a great indoor swimming pool for those not willing to brave the cold. The best part is that as a member of the wedding party I was supposed to be comped our room the night of the wedding. We paid in advance and didn't notice that we weren't comped. But when we checked out on sunday, the woman behind the desk caught the mistake and reimbursed us. Classy move! I highly recommend a stay here.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 3, 2013

The hotel has been updated quite nicely and it is good value for the price you are paying. Good, standard facilities. My only grumble was that when I went to check in, I queried about the breakfast and asked if we could buy breakfast on the morning. The concierge told me yes, but failed to tell me that it would be more expensive. Had I known it would only cost me 5 euros for breakfast if I paid in advance, I would have bought it. Instead I ended up paying 13 euros on the morning, needless to say I was not happy about that. I felt ripped off and the concierge should well inform the guests about this. Hence, this dampened my experience.

Stayed September 2013, traveled with family