“Good Hotel spoilt by poor sound insulation”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of Salthill Hotel

Salthill Hotel
Ranked #4 of 46 Hotels in Galway
England
“Good Hotel spoilt by poor sound insulation”
Reviewed October 4, 2013

We spent 3 nights in this modern hotel in a large bedroom on the 4th floor overlooking Galway Bay. The bed was very comfortable but unfortunately whoever was next door did not like going to bed and at 1am their tv was still blasting away in our room. Even when it was turned off, all sorts of sounds were heard.
We did not have trouble taking breakfast( warnings of delays were given) and staff were very helpful. Buffet quality was average unlike our evening meals in both the restaurant and bar which were excellent.
Reception staff were very helpful and friendly. Overall, we had a relaxing time at the Strandhill Hotel allowing for that disturbing noise. Plenty of car parking space was available.

Room Tip: Try and get a sea view room. Well worth it.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank CrankyNWEngland

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (415)
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Baltimore, Maryland
Reviewed October 3, 2013

We had stayed for three nights for a wedding (the one mentioned in some of the reviews down below) and it was awesome. The staff was amazing. In the Blackrock bar you never waited long for a drink and the service was excellent. The manager was great, even tending to people himself. The bar was packed, mainly from the wedding, and the hotel did a great job staffing it. Especially the morning after when the All Ireland Hurling Final was on. Our room was very nice, although it had three beds which I thought was strange. The morning breakfast was outstanding. Can't beat a good fry. The staff put on an excellent wedding. I didn't notice a thing out of place.Location is great. Right on the promenade by the water. A group of us brave guests went diving off the tower at the end of the prom into the freezing water. Really wakes you up after a long night. There is also a great indoor swimming pool for those not willing to brave the cold. The best part is that as a member of the wedding party I was supposed to be comped our room the night of the wedding. We paid in advance and didn't notice that we weren't comped. But when we checked out on sunday, the woman behind the desk caught the mistake and reimbursed us. Classy move! I highly recommend a stay here.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 3, 2013

The hotel has been updated quite nicely and it is good value for the price you are paying. Good, standard facilities. My only grumble was that when I went to check in, I queried about the breakfast and asked if we could buy breakfast on the morning. The concierge told me yes, but failed to tell me that it would be more expensive. Had I known it would only cost me 5 euros for breakfast if I paid in advance, I would have bought it. Instead I ended up paying 13 euros on the morning, needless to say I was not happy about that. I felt ripped off and the concierge should well inform the guests about this. Hence, this dampened my experience.

Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Reviewed October 2, 2013

Stayed here for 4 nights recently. While I agree with other reviews about staff and food, we spent most of our time on Quay St or Eyre Square so this meant a 10 euro cab ride one way or waiting for a bus. I found the rooms had paper thin walls could hear the tv and conversation in room next to me unfortunately it was 2 am and they had been at the wedding in the hotel. On another night I had to call desk because kids were running and screaming in hall at 11 pm. The hotel was clean and staff were great,but I don't think I would stay here again because of location, noise problem and lack of sleep.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Jmf507
Albany, New York
Reviewed September 29, 2013

Stayed 3 nights, all 3 rooms were well maintained and large. Friendly staff and large bar area. Wedding there the first night and bar was lively and a bit noisy, but did not go too late. Pretty good selection of beers and wines. Breakfast included, smaller Buffet than other hotels we stayed at, but was a "full Irish breakfast" selection. Located across from The Prom that allowed for our family to go for a run each morning. Walking distance to the Salthill area restaurants, bars and aquarium.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed September 28, 2013 via mobile

Stayed at this hotel recently needs updating urgently! Very dated, there was a wedding on Saturday night all we could hear was loud music. The shower was a walk in one, again it had not been maintained as water was very slow to go down drains, we thought bathroom was going to flood at one point. Would not stay here again

• Stayed September 2013
Shannon, Ireland
Reviewed September 28, 2013

I stayed in the Salthill Hotel for 4 nights last week. From check-in to leaving, there was nothing I could fault the hotel on. From the receptionists to the management, bar staff, restaurant staff, room staff and leisure centre personnel, they really prove that a stay in a hotel can be rewarding. The food was excellent as were the rooms. Nothing wasa problem when requested and that is how it should be. The General Manager was willing to involve himself in ensuring the guest was the number 1 priority.
Having stayed in many hotels across the world, I would recommend this hotel to anyone without hesitation

Room Tip: A slight problem was the loud air-conditioning vent outside my bedroom window
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled on business