“Don't expect good service in the bar”
Review of Salthill Hotel

Salthill Hotel
Ranked #4 of 46 Hotels in Galway
Reviewed September 17, 2013

Our room was fantastic, we had a sea view and a super king bed. All staff were very helpful and friendly, except the bar staff. The leisure centre is excellent. Overall we really enjoyed our stay and would highly recommend the Salthill Hotel.

We ate in the bar on the night we arrived, it was not very busy and there were more than enough staff to cope with the number of customers (I run a restaurant, so I would know). Service was sub standard; 45 mins for our plates to be lifted after we finished our mains. There were also 2 staff members wandering around making no eye contact with the diners and avoiding serving everyone in the bar. The young man that did serve us did an excellent job and was very friendly. His job must be difficult as his 2 colleagues are such a dead weight!

The following day we went in for a drink before we went into the city and ordered a drink for myself and my wife, I had to order this THREE TIMES as it was wrong the first two times.

However, this would not deter me from staying again, we had a lovely stay and all staff outside the bar were helpful and friendly. I would recommend it on one condition; don't eat or drink in the bar.

Room Tip: Choose a Deluxe King Suite with a sea view. You will not be disappointed!
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
4  Thank Callum P
There are newer reviews for Salthill Hotel

Reviewed September 12, 2013

Stayed here last weekend. September 7th. Lovely spacious room. We got a travel cot for the room. They left a lovely child's blanket to use, which was a lovely touch. Had a lovely seaview room. Food in the bar was excellent. Great menu and very spacious too. Very friendly and helpful reception staff. Only complaint was the band were playing in the bar until quite late. But the staff did tell us beforehand. My partner slept no problem, I'm a light sleeper so found it hard to sleep until it stopped. Other than that can't faul the hotel, beautiful and well run. I would return.

Room Tip: Just ask them if a band will be playing in the bar that evening. If so ask to be placed at the back...
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank littlelucky15
Reviewed September 11, 2013

I was really looking forward to staying two nights at the Salthill Hotel but left feeling a little disillusioned. We were informed upon check-in that we had booked a room only rate so breakfast was not included. I had not been aware that I had booked a room only rate so I was a little disappointed but not too worried as it meant we were able to try out some of the other restaurants in Salthill for breakfast. When we got to the room it was set up as a twin room so we went back down to request a double room. The same male receptionist that checked us in was only too quick to go looking for the paper back-up of my booking to show me that I had booked a twin room - he was more concerned in proving that I was wrong rather than trying to find a solution to the problem. Eventually he asked if we were heading out shortly that he could get housekeeping to go to the room to put the beds together and make it up as a double. No more than five minutes within our returning to our room a young girl came to the door. I told her we would be heading out in ten minutes would it be possible to have someone come back then. She informed me that her shift was finished so she would have to do it now - so we had to go through the awkward ordeal of standing in the room watching her make up the beds. I don't understand why somebody else couldn't have done it while we were out?
The first night of our stay there was a debs on so we got to listen to all the shouting and drunken roaring right under our room as we were located directly about the main entrance to the hotel. At 4am.
Having stayed for two nights at the hotel this was the only contact we had with any of the staff, which needless to say left a sour taste in the mouth. The Salthill Hotel may tick enough boxes to be a 4 star hotel but the level of service doesn't come anywhere near that. I understand that hotels these days are often run on a shoestring budget but letting this affect the levels of service offered to your guests is not going to ensure a positive outcome.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
4  Thank seabreeze28
Reviewed September 11, 2013

Basically booked room through roomex corporate website and website crashed dates changed i didn't notice until it was too late. Spoke with reservation manager and and she wouldn't swap it for the twentieth like I originally wanted. I'd understand if booked out but there was rooms available. Not impressed and i go to Galway frequently but if problem isn't rectified I will ensure I, or other through our business do not go there.

• Stayed: September 2013
3  Thank Anthony M
Reviewed September 10, 2013

Stayed in the Salthill hotel on 2nd sept for 2 nights dinned b&b.
LOCATION-EXCELLENT
ROOMS -EXCELLENT. There was a debs on the 3rd and honestly apart from when they were coming into the hotel you would not know they were there. We were concerned that there would be noise through the night but not a sound. Well done .
FOOD- I have stayed in the Brehon and the Muckross hotels in Killarney many times. Both boasting very high standards, and being awarded , for their food.
The Salt hill hotel is WELL up there with them. Without doubt some of the best food I have ever enjoyed in any hotel or restaurant. My wife has an allergy to onions and it was no problem for the chef to make a gravy just for her. A different menu both nights.
10/10 for the food.
SERVICE- Alas this was poor. No fault of the staff I must point out. There just simply was not enough to service the tables. The 2 girls were run off their feet. 2 tables close to us had dirty dishes on them for the 2 hrs we were in the restaurant. What a pity . 1 more even just to clean tables and serve the drinks and it would have been perfect.

Room Tip: We were on the 4th floor and it was really quite.
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank kieran g
Reviewed September 8, 2013

We was a bit concerned by some of the previous reviews. We booked the hotel to be close to the "Trad on the Prom" show which is located in the hotel next door and costs about twice what we paid for at our 4 star hotel, the Salthill. Fortunately the reviews were wrong, we had a great time at a great hotel. We had no problems with the service and would stay again.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank George C
Reviewed September 8, 2013

Traveling on business in Ireland in May 2013 we staid in this hotel in the weekend, executive room with sea view...

Highly recommended hotel...breakfast was fine, room was perfect...

You get right on the pier from the hotel... the weather was...Irish:-)
but we managed to walk anyway and there are lot's of things to do and see nearby...

Only downside: the internet connection...unsecured... and working very badly...
Parking was crowded due to wedding there but still ok...

I will surely go back there on a next visit and will recommended the hotel.

Room Tip: I had an executive room with sea view, highly recommended
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled on business