“Spot on spot”

Ranked #4 of 45 Hotels in Galway
Sligo, Ireland
“Spot on spot”
Reviewed September 15, 2011

Stayed here for a Friday night a couple of weeks ago. There was a wedding on so the hotel was fully booked. I was on my own but they still give me a large double room with a sea view, which was much appreciated. I'd forgotten to take my luggage and the lady at reception was very helpful and suggested that I could go to a supermarket that was not too far away.
Salthill is quite close to Galway, although if you are on foot it is about a 20min walk, but a nice walk beside the sea.
If you have a car though the bonus is that parking is free, which is not the case for hotels in the city centre, where you could be paying over €14 euros per night.
I got a B&B single rate of €85, which compared very well with other hotels that were charging a lot more (I would have gone back to the Carlton, as per previous review, but they were looking for €120). There were a couple offering a better rate but they were too far outside the city.
Would highly recommend

Room Tip: ask for an upper floor with a sea view, worked for me
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled solo
1 Thank Jack0DLad

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (419)
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Luxembourg
Reviewed September 13, 2011

We recently stayed at the Salthill Hotel and were somewhat surprised and concerned by the hotel's rating upon seeing our room: no toilet paper, cobwebs strung between the lights and the ceiling without mentioning the size of the room.

Room Tip: Rooms at the front of the hotel (facing the sea) - they appear to be more recent.
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
ByrneHotelGroup, Manager at Salthill Hotel, responded to this review, September 28, 2011
Dear MonnyQ

Thank you for taking the time to share this feedback on your recent stay.

I would like to apologise for the poor standard of cleanliness and the servicing of the bedroom allocated to you prior to your stay. I have forwarded your comments to our Executive Housekeeper, there will be an action plan put in place to ensure our normal high standards of cleanliness are achieved throughout our guest accommodation.

Warm regards
Dublin
Reviewed September 12, 2011

Myself and my pregnant wife stepped out of the elevator only to be met by a maintenance engineer who angrily shouted at my wife. The elevator was 'out of service' but was still running. My wife simply asked if the other lift was working and this is when he got more angry. There was no 'out of order' sign, no rope across the doors to stop people from using the lift. I stepped in to calm the situation which he then turned his abuse to myself and to 2 elderly women who were also in the lift with us.

I made a complaint with the hotel management on the day but I felt my complaint fell on deaf ears.

We were part of the wedding which was held in the hotel but later found out that we weren't offered the 'wedding room rate' and paid full price.

Overall it's safe to say 'I won't be back' !!

• Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
2 Thank 1SB81
Galway, Ireland
Reviewed September 7, 2011

We had our wedding reception here in July and I honestly cannot say enough good things about the hotel! The staff were so good to us and so accomodating to our neeeds. Pauline and Jackie were always on hand to deal with any questions we had. the location is fantastic and the hotel itself is beautiful. Our guests were all extremly well looked after and our wedding meal was out of this world..our guests are still talking about how good the meal was. We were well looked after in every respect too! Breakfast was very good and we will certainly be back and not just for our anniversary! A pleasure to stay with from start to finish. Thanks to all the staff

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
ByrneHotelGroup, Manager at Salthill Hotel, responded to this review, September 13, 2011
Dear Carol M

Thank you very much for taking the time to write such a positive review. I am delighted to hear that our staff were so helpful especially Pauline and Jackie, I will be sure to pass on this positive review to all staff.

I am pleased to hear that your wedding meal was out of this world and that your guests are still talking about it.

We hope to welcome you back to the Salthill Hotel again very soon.

Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed September 1, 2011

The Salthill Hotel is in a great location right across the street from the promenade on the water, and it is just a short 20 minute walk into the shopping street in Galway. The hotel appears to have been recently updated. I found it clean and comfortable and the staff were very nice and professional. The rate was reasonable as well so all in all the hotel is a great value. The only issue, and it is a minor one, is that the walls were a little thin. I could hear the television in the room next door. Everything else though more than made up for it. I thinks the Salthill Hotel is an excellent value.

Room Tip: Ask for a room overlooking the promenade.
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled solo
ByrneHotelGroup, Manager at Salthill Hotel, responded to this review, September 7, 2011
Dear MaureenODonnell

Thank you very much for taking the time to write a review of Salthill Hotel. I appreciate your kind comments about our great location and our clean and comfortable hotel. I am delighted to receive such positive feedback about our very nice and professional staff, I will be sure to pass these comments on. I am glad that you found the hotel to be such excellent value.

Hoping you will visit us in Galway very soon.

Cavan, Ireland
Reviewed August 31, 2011

We had a 2night package with breakfast each day and 1 dinner and we found the food to be very good. The hotel is very clean and quite a nice place to stay in with friendly, helpful staff. Location is good especially if you like to walk as it is right beside the promenade in Salthill and about 15-20mins walk to the city centre.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
ByrneHotelGroup, Reservations Agent at Salthill Hotel, responded to this review, September 1, 2011
Dear WeLike

Thank you for taking the time to write such a positive review about our hotel. I am delighted that you enjoyed the good food and the clean and nice hotel we have.

I am glad that you found our staff to be friendly and helpful; I will ensure that these positive comments are expressed to all staff.

We hope to welcome you back to Salthill in the near future.

Salthill Hotel Team
Kildare
Reviewed August 27, 2011

Very professionally run hotel, food fab, rooms spotless, staff lovely and friendly and very attentive. Management very helpful. Would highly recommend this hotel.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
ByrneHotelGroup, Reservations Agent at Salthill Hotel, responded to this review, August 31, 2011
Dear Hilly2338
I would like to thank you for taking time out to write a review of SalthillHotel. I appreciate your feedback which is very positive to all dapertments. I am grateful to you for recommending our hotel.

Hoping you will visit us in Salthill again very soon.