“Comfy hotel with great pool” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Salthill Hotel

Salthill Hotel
Ranked #4 of 47 Hotels in Galway
Brighton, United Kingdom
“Comfy hotel with great pool”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 9, 2011

Pretty much as one would expect for a hotel of this sort - comfortable rooms with everything we needed (tho' the wi-fi was a bit intermittent). Friendly and helpful staff. Breakfast seemed a bit disorganised and it seemed a waste to bring toast without asking and while people were still eating cereal! Swam before breakfast and had the 25m pool almost to myself. (Swim hats are compulsory but can be purchased for a small price - one or two euros I think it was.) One thing that seemed strange was that wedding receptions were held in the main lobby - it felt a bit odd to be walking through a group of people in wedding garb and sipping champagne when you're in ordinary clothes!

• Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
ByrneHotelGroup, Manager at Salthill Hotel, responded to this review, July 27, 2011
Dear guest nellgb,

Firstly, I would like to thank you for taking the time to write such a helpful review. Gathering customer feedback is a magnificant way for us to improve and maintain our standards. I am very glad the room was to your liking and that you enjoyed our leisure centre.

Salthill Hotel Team

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (413)
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
USA
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 8, 2011

I would not recommend staying here, 1st of all, if you are American and visiting Ireland on a tour the hotel staff will treat you like they are doing YOU a favor. Funny though since Ireland is in such a bankrupt state, it is amazing that they are treating paying customers this way. So, my husband and I requested no maid service for the day, which was fine the maid left a bag of supplies outside our door. Inside the bag was the master key to all the hotel rooms for the entire hotel! We alerted the front desk, whom told us that no manager was available to talk to us! This was the 2nd week of June, and it was a dark haired receptionist. The receptionist then called our room later that night at 10pm to let us know the key was just a fake and not really a master key! She was lying, I know this because the key worked for our door, it worked for my brother's door, and it worked for my mother's door. It was definately a master. Dont stay here, dont trust them, they have a notice on the door saying "not responsible for lost/stolen items". !!!! Of course, they dont care if your things get taken, they are probably in on it! BEWARE!
To make matters worse, they had a wedding going on the night we were there, wedding was so loud could hear all the way to the 3rd floor until 6am. DO NOT STAY HERE!

• Stayed June 2011, traveled with family
Ireland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 3, 2011

Really nice hotel in à lovely area, we looked at staying in the galway bay but so happy we picked salthill hotel instead. So nice and newbuilt aswell and atleast. 60€ cheaper à night and its Next Door ! So nice area too, feela like you are in à different country on à sunny day.

• Stayed July 2011
      Location
      Rooms
Dear Guest resegalen,

I would like to thank you sincerely for your positive and kind review of our property. I am delighted you took the opportunity to enjoy our seaside location, one which we are very fortunate to have. I am glad you had a nice experience and I look forward to welcoming you back to Salthill Hotel in the near future.

Salthill Hotel Team
Tipperary, Ireland
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 2, 2011

Arrived for a 1 night stay to this hotel first week in July. I had booked room on hotels own website which we had to pay a deposit when booking....When we arrived at desk the girl was unable to find our booking on system...she was doubtful of our reservation, which thank goodness was made on their own website...after looking at email on my iPhone she contacted reservations and after a puzzled phone call seemed to book us in....We received room cards and were told to take white lift.....main lifts are silver and in lobby by bar however, white lift is just off lobby and looks like a service lift....when we got out we realised it must be the old part of the hotel and when we reached room it was small, very cramped and view was of outside walls of hotels, from window there was a step rise to level outside so altogether very Claustrophobic....The beds were tired looking with an old fashioned wooden headboard....Very basic for a 4 star hotel at E155 for the night....When booking I would recommend asking for a room in new part of hotel...
When we rang reception to complain we are asked to wait for 10 mins and a little after 10 mins a lovely girl from housekeeping came and brought us to our new room on 2nd floor in the newer part or more refurbished part of hotel....We were in room 225, it was LOVELY...beds were cheery and stylish and later very comfortable....it was a side room so we could see Galway Bay...bathroom was big and clean and modern...Chairs were clean and room was very spacious.
We went down to bar for a snack, They did not have peanuts and only salt and vinegar crisps, found the barman very disinterested in serving and in customers, the girl who served us food was very friendly, we had a starter which was very tasty and brown bread, homemade and well worth a sample....we went out to walk our dog and returned to order or meal and wine at 8:10, we waited and tried to get attention of staff which we failed...after 10 mins we asked at bar to place an order, we were told that food stopped at 8pm, in our room it stated 9pm...we were told to go to new restaurant, we did not want anything from this menu so we went up to The Galleon restaurant up the road...Offer menus of 2 and 3 course meals. Also bottle of wine of week for 12.50...service very friendly and quick. can be a queue but worth wait as food is FAB....
In the morning staff were far from friendly...passed by reception several times and girl at desk looked down and did not communicate with guests as they passed in and out..I found this unfriendly as I saw several people look up to her as they passed and at time hotel was very quiet.... As I checked out girl remained very formal….
Breakfast was fairly standard...nothing major stood out...maybe not 4 star here either...staff however were fairly friendly......
The housekeeping staff stood out, they said good morning when they saw you on corridor, rooms were clean and hotel in general very clean thanks to them....

I would say we will return to our usual hotel in Salthill in future and not here.

Room Tip: New part of hotel
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
ByrneHotelGroup, Manager at Salthill Hotel, responded to this review, July 7, 2011
Dear Guest TipperaryGirl82,

I would like to thank you very much for taking the time to write an important and constructive review.Customer reviews and feedback are very important to Salthill Hotel as they help us improve our product and service while maintaining a positive customer experience. I am delighted our staff were able to offer you an upgrade and I am glad you enjoyed the room and the view. Thanks again for your helpful review.

celbridge
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 17, 2011

1st time staying in the Salthill Hotel in Galway. Stayed in Salthill many times. Lovely area. I was staying with my Wife and Baby Girl Sun/Mon night of June'11 bank holiday Weekend. I booked last minute. Rang the hotel itself on Friday eve prior, to enquire on accommodation and was told it was fully booked out for Sun & Mon night. My Wife checked the web site and booked a double room online for the Sun & Mon directly after my conversation without any trouble. We rang Sunday Morning to confirm the reservation. The person that answered couldn't find our reservation number and promised to ring back within 5mins. 30mins later I rang and a different person answered confirming reservation number and didn't know we were waiting on a callback. On arrival (and note: a number of occasions thereafter) I found one particular receptionist unfriendly, dismissive, non attentive to simple questions regarding dinner that evening and had to repeat several times to eventually receive some sort of answer. She was quite rude and quite bully-ish. I was pretty shocked. I've never experienced this in any other hotel I've stayed in and I've stayed in quite alot. At that time another receptionist was present - seemed senior, noticed the short contempt responses and didn't care in the least.

After finally confirming reservation for dinner at 18:30 (was told it was booked out until 20:00) we found the Restaurant actually empty except for 3 small tables, 6 people in total. The Restaurant Staff were Great! Extermely friendly and very good with our Baby Girl. The food itself was cooked perfectly and seved in a timely manner.

We had enquired on babysitting services that morning with the hotel for the sunday night. The person who dealt with this query was quite good. We knew it would be difficult on a bank holiday weekend and we were unsuccessful on that night, but the person did her best, she called us a couple of times trying different source etc. It turned out well as we were quite tired and didn't mind the early night.

The rooms themselves were fine. Quite normal. Bathroom was quite small but functional. TV was 14" CRT. They provided a Travel Cot and it was fine. Can't remember what floor we were on, but from the lifts we did have to travel down a number of steps to our room - not ideal with a baby, buggy and luggage, but doable.

We ordered Breakfast to do room the following morning for 08:00. Card mentioned this could vary +/- 15mins which was fine. @08:30 we rang to see if our breakfast might be delievered soon, we had plans to attend for the day. Breakfast came approx 08:45. Breakfast itself was fine. No problems there. The same slightly rude recetpionist called up with the waiter, stuck her head in the door, didn't say a word (no apology, no excuse, no friendly smile) and just headed off.

That was the last straw really. We didn't mind the breakfast was late. The Breakfast itself was nice, hot. We decided to cancel the room for the Monday night and took our business elsewhere. I'll be advising my friends on the reception we received in the Salthill Hotel Galway.

Room Tip: Reception Staff were unprofessional
  • Stayed June 2011, traveled with family
3 Thank nwalsh99
Dear Guest nwalsh99,

I would like to thank you for taking the time to write a very helpful review. At Salthill Hotel we use customer reviews and feedback to enable us to continually improve and sustain the standard of our service. I am glad you enjoyed your meals and food service with us. I can assure you that your review has been taken most seriously and I have little doubt it will benefit the hotel and future guests.

Kildare
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 14, 2011

Having stayed in the 2 main hotels in Salthill, this was the cheaper of the two...by far...but was every bit as nice. Great location, would highly recommend it. Lunch in bar was good. Tasty and filling, not 5star but still really nice. Nice staff too.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest BeckyD1,

Thank you very much for taking the time to write such a nice review. I am delighted you took the opportunity to enjoy the spectacular location that we are fortunate to have. I am glad you enjoyed your stay and our service.

Warm Regards,
Galway, Ireland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 13, 2011

This hotel is really a treat, beautiful location. The bedrooms are so comfortable. Food fantastic. All the staff were really nice. I have been back a couple of times and intend on going back again.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled as a couple
      Location
      Rooms
Dear Guest cormacuaghwest,

I would like to sincerely thank you for taking the time to write a review. I am thrilled that Salthill Hotel impresses you and especially that you frequently return to us. We look forward to welcoming you again in the not too distant future.

Warm Regards,