Garvey's Inn
  • Room Service
Great 4.5/5
Great 4.5/5
  • Restaurant
All reviewstrain stationeyre squareiron and iron boardgreat locationlive band playingbar downstairsstreet noiserooms are basican extra nighttraditional irish musicgreat craicsquare hotelcentral locationstayed here for two nightspleasant stayproscons
FilterAll languages
Reviewed September 24, 2013

We spent three nights in this hotel in August 2013. The rooms are spotless, very comfortable beds. If we are going to Galway again, we will stay there. It's right in the center of Galway and only two minutes walk from the bus- and train-stations. The staff in the bar is very nice, friendly and helpful.

Room Tip: We can't, all rooms are great
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank BrianBregenz
Reviewed September 19, 2013

We purchased a LivingSocial voucher (2 nights BnB + 1 dinner) and booked a date in May. Unfortunately, I fell ill on the morning of travel and had to cancel that reservation. The staff member was sympathetic and helpful and I was able to re-book with the minimum of fuss. On our arrival, we were greeted warmly. I would really have no complaints about the room. Yes, it is quite small but it is well-appointed - tea-making facilities which were replenished generously; ironing board; ample storage for a short stay and everything was spotlessly clean in our room. The tv is a bit out-dated and was off its bracket and the curtains could do with some attention but these are minor quibbles. We both enjoyed the food - a good choice on the menu and well-cooked and presented dishes. The staff were very friendly and personable and greeted you on entry and exit. The premises was established in 1861 and retains an olde-worlde feel; dark wood panelling; ornate ceiling (nicotine staining of yesteryear in evidence!); the emerald green walls and tartan carpet in the public area are somewhat startling but my overall impression is of a friendly, old style establishment set in the heart of one of the most vibrant and visitor friendly cities in Ireland.

Room Tip: Our room (104) was overlooking Forster St - a very busy thoroughfare- but we were not unduly bothered by the traffic noise. I assume the rooms opposite on the corridor might face inward. Just ask when checking in; the staff are really very friendly. However, do note that there are no designated no-smoking rooms available.
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Mary A
Reviewed August 27, 2013 via mobile

Had lunch here and it was some of the best value I've ever seen! The dinner menu also looked to be great value, with good specials! The staff were very friendly and there is a good selection of drinks, which are also very good value!

• Stayed: August 2013
1  Thank Hihihhihi
Reviewed August 27, 2013

Positive: Position, Pub and Restaurant downstairs, Nice people.
Negative: Room too small, Bathroom poor and uncofortable, No reception: you have to go everytimes to the pub to leave and to have the keys

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed August 20, 2013

I recently stayed at Garvey's Inn in August 2013. I had read on a few reviews that service was not good, I did not experience this at all. We arrived to the hotel early and the receptionist was very friendly and luckily our room was clean so we were allowed in early.

Reviews mentioned that the rooms are small. Yes, I would agree with this but it was more than adequate for only staying a few nights in town. It may have been on the smaller side but it had everything a person would need (unlike some larger accomodations). For example, there was an iron and ironing board, tea making facilities, full length mirror, and a desk with a large mirror (near an outlet) which made it a great little spot for a girl to do her hair and makeup!

I have also read that noise is something of a concern. I would say this is partially true. It was warm so we had to open the window and so that let a lot of the street noise into the room. I did notice that the double glazing on the windows did keep out a lot of noise but as I said, it was August and warm so we kept them open a lot of the time. Also, because it's a cheaper hotel, younger people are going to stay here so there was a bit of noisy knocking at doors at 2:30am when people were coming home from clubs.

In all, I really liked my stay here. It was by far one of the cheapest hotels I could find for the weekend (most places were sold out) and the location cannot be beat! It's right on Erye Square. The staff there were ALWAYS friendly every time we saw them and never too busy to help us. Is this a 4 or 5 star establishment? No. But it was clean, affordable, and in a good location and that goes a long way in Galway.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with friends