“Nice But Overrated”

Ranked #13 of 45 Hotels in Galway
Dublin
“Nice But Overrated”
Reviewed September 23, 2007

Just back from a two night stay with my boyfriend, as it was my birthday. We had heard that this hotel was supposed to be amazing in everyway. When we arrived the staff were very friendly and park your car for you no matter what time of the day or night - god knows where however! Staff were all very attentive and helpful, carrying bags etc. The hotel is slightly smaller than i imagined and was decorated in the brightest tackiest colours imaginable - pink, black and silver. I think they are attempting to create a 5 star hotel, but are certainly missing a trick when it comes to class. Nouveau riche springs to mind! The hotel caters for two types of guest im my mind - couples or early to middle aged hen parties / ladies whom lunch!

The spa was nice, slightly corporate as opposed to luxurious - very dark as were all of the hotel corridors. The room was nice, but again, not a 5 star hotel as everywhere we turned reminded us of the price we had to pay for simple pleasures - for example there was an umbrella in the waredrope with a €30 sign around it!

Breakfast was plentiful and varied, if not slightly bland - but again if you are not on an B&B basis, then prepare to pay €25 for a basic, but a la carte breakfast! We asked to watch the Ireland vs France World Cup match, but the hotel wasnt showing it, though they did offer to put it on for us in the Corporate meeting room, so we walked across the road to the Huntsmann Inn hotel and had a nice meal and drinks there for the match with great atmosphere.

Overall we enjoyed our stay here and staff will go that extra mile, but if I was going to go back, i would only stay for one night. It is certainly not worth the price - there are far nicer classier hotels to stay in, even in Dublin! Also, make sure that you are in your best attire, as there is an air of ''pretence'' over the hotel.

• Disliked — It was very pretentious!!
  • Stayed September 2007, traveled as a couple
3 Thank missyjm

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (376)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Great Falls, Virginia
Reviewed September 19, 2007

I just returned from Staying at The G and I was very dissapointed.
Good news:
The staff is very nice and helpful.
The breakfast was one of the nicer ones we had in Ireland.

Bad news:
The hotel is VERY DIRTY.
I don't believe they own a vaccum, as all the hallways and guest rooms I were in were dirty.
With all the glass, lucite, mirror and chrome furnishings, you would think they would keep the dust, fingerprints, glass rings... cleaned off, but everywhere you look there is dirt.
The phone, toilet and air conditioning did not work in my room, after 2 calls to the front desk, the issue was finally resolved.
They forgot to do turndown service on one night during my stay, which is unacceptable for a 5 star hotel.

I had been waiting a year to visit The G, and after all the money I spent, it was NOT WORTH IT.

Like the previous reviewer said, they have not upkept the hotel.
A coat of fresh paint on all the main traffic areas would do wonders.

I was expecting WOW, but all I got was YUCK.

If you're going to Galway, stay closer to town and just visit The G for afternoon tea, until they hire a housekeeping staff.

• Liked — The bathtub
  • Disliked — The overall cleanliness, very dirty
  • Stayed September 2007, traveled with friends
8 Thank Tottiisahottie
London
Reviewed September 16, 2007

Having previously visited Galway (stayed at the Radisson) and having planned a trip for my husband's birthday I was very much looking forward to seeing what The g had to offer.

Reservation was easy and extremely efficient - I was especially impressed by the cancellation terms given that we were arriving by private plane which would have meant cancelling the trip in bad weather.

Check in was great but all a bit diappointing thereon in. The state of the property and the service weren't really what I'd expect of a 5-star hotel: the reception area looked shabby (paint peeling off the famous white curve behind the concierge desk); the carpet in the room was stained (not a good look); paint was worn off the doors and glass tables chipped and tatty - generally the property seemed to have seen better days or be in need of some serious upkeep. The food in the restaurant was very average given the price and the waiter seemed a bit surprised when we asked for our bottle of red wine to be brought to at least room temperature.

At breakfast, surly staff but good food . The best service we had was from an Australian guy behind the bar who told us off the record that we could watch the Ireland rugby match in the bar across the road because it wasn't been shown in the hotel!

Overall disappointing, doesn't feel like the hotel takes much pride in its appearance - highlighted by the dog poo left uncleared in front of the main entrance for the two days that we were there. Just not what I would expect of a 5-star hotel.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Service and quality
  • Stayed September 2007, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Kasbah_Fan
Galway Ireland
Reviewed September 11, 2007

Made a return visit to the "g" and just like our previous stay it really was an enjoyable experience ! The restaurant and bars are a litle pricey, but the service and quality offered makes it well worth it. Before bedtime try the hot chocolate with a kick...it's really yummy! Breakfast is varied and very generous, the bedroom was really comfortable with lots of little extas we really enjoyed our two nights and will return again.

Stayed August 2007
Tralee
Reviewed September 4, 2007

I stayed in this hotel in august with my parents and my sister for 3 nights. My parents had a king room and my sister and I a twin. Our room had no counter top around the sink so we were forced to put all our toiletries on the floor. Our window was just a pane of glass the didnt open which made me feel very closterphobic. Bad selection of TV channels for late teens, only all news channels. The food was ridiculously over priced and there was definetly an air of snobbery around the hotel, something which it could do without since the hotel was practically empty during our stay peak season. Change you menus. I would not reccomend this hotel.

Stayed August 2007
belfast
Reviewed August 29, 2007

We stayed here for a few days after we got married before going to Paris and Spain. The G Hotel was so nice - they come and park your car for you and take your bags up to your room. The rooms were lovely, very comfortable and very clean. The maids even come in at night to turn your bed down and leave out your slippers for you - it was great, very well looked after.

The drinks in hotel are expensive however and to eat here as well is expensive too - but its well worth a visit to this hotel. We loved checking out the different bars, the pink room was brill! They even have their own cinema out the back of the hotel.

Will def return to this hotel again!

• Liked — the rooms were so comfortable
  • Disliked — we loved everything
  • Stayed August 2007, traveled as a couple
Ireland
Reviewed August 26, 2007

My boyfriend recently took me to stay at the G Hotel and it was the most amazing weekend ever. We arrived at the hotel to be met by someone to take our bags for us and park the car. The reception was really nice and the staff on the desk were so helpful. One of the reception staff showed us to our room which they up graded for us. The room was massive, the bed was fab and the bathroom was beautiful. The cup cakes they left for us were also a lovely touch. We had dinner in the restaurant on the 2 nights and both nights the food was superb. The breakfast was delicious with a wide range of diiferent foods. I will defo be back to stay at the G Hotel.

• Stayed August 2007, traveled as a couple