“Incredibly comfortable beds”

the g Hotel & Spa Galway
Ranked #12 of 46 Hotels in Galway
Reviewed October 22, 2010

We spent a week in Ireland in early October and the G Hotel was our second to last night. The G Hotel is about a half mile from downtown Galway and is attached to a movie theatre and shopping. It is not, however, difficult to get to, there is plenty of parking without safety concerns, the service is excellent and it overlooks a bay that for many would be a pleasant diversion from downtown streets. The interior design of the main floor is unique and striking. Although the standard rooms are not huge, they are more than adequate, perfectly quiet, and contain the most comfortable beds and linens I have ever experienced. Hotels are for comfort and service and this one provides both of the highest quality.

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled as a couple
Write a ReviewReviews (2,764)

Reviewed October 19, 2010

On arrival we through it was a supermarket and drove past. Then we drove around Galway town looking for it and after seeing some nice hotels with good views asked for directions. We arrived back at what we thought was a supermarket and found it to be the G hotel? I went into reception and was told the car park was around the back and how to get there. Even though it said “Valet car parking”!!! NOT. We drove around the back and we were in the middle of a shopping centre!!! Eventually found an underground car park and was worried about where to park and was it safe? Actually nothing happened to my new car…

This was supposed to be a 50th birthday surprise, balloons were ordered in advance. When we entered the room there was no balloons and the view from the window went right out – to B&Q… Not a great start by any means. The tea and coffee making facilities were also not there, after a long drive we needed a brew and not able to have one? The staff apologised and laid on a couple of chocolate cakes. I’m diabetic and can’t eat chocolate so that p’d me off too. But they were not to know that.

On arrival we were asked to leave card details as an assurance that we didn’t do a runner or damage anything, fair enough. When we left, we paid our bill and returned home. Two weeks later my partner (who arranged it) went to the bank machine and found £350 had been taken from her account on top of paying our bill. The hotel didn’t cancel the assurance and the amount went through to a suspense account. She was told the hotel had not ordered to take the money and the bank said they have not been ordered to debit her account either. The money had been taken for 10 working days, 15 days later and still not got the money back. The manager (Fagan – I think) was extremely rude to my partner and was shouting at her on the phone and when she tried to put a point across he shouted even louder.

This hotel provided us with the worst experience of my life. After a year of travelling to some very nice hotels like the Lindos blu in Rhodes, this was quite categorically the worst experience ever and it’s still going on, they still have my partner’s money and will not return it. We are now contacting the banking Ombudsman and the police. The hotel G is supposed to be a top hotel; its rubbish and the staff are extremely rude and unhelpful, they have not even apologised.

11  Thank CharlieBalloo
dorgalway, General Manager at the g Hotel & Spa Galway, responded to this reviewResponded October 20, 2010

Dear CharlieBalloo,
Thank you very much for your recent review, I was sorry to read that you were disappointed with your experience with us and also that the hotel was not to your liking. With relation to guest parking we do indeed offer Valet parking and we also offer self parking to our guests.
I sincerely apologise that the birthday balloon that had been arranged was not in your room upon arrival. This was indeed an oversight on our part and I believe that our front of house manager had spoken to you immediately and apolgised and was under the impression that we had resolved this unfortunate situation to your satisfaction. We were unaware that you were a diabetic and it was not our intention to give you something that you were unable to enjoy, we simply meant this as a gesture to apologise for our error. With relation to your credit card payment I can assure you that this is not the case we have been in touch with our bank on several occasions and we have also been in touch with your own bank. Our bank has assured us that we had no funds held in addition to your hotel bill. We also contacted your own bank to verify that we were not holding any funds, which your bank also confirmed. I am aware that our accounts team worked diligently to resolve this issue and spoke with you on serveral occassions and I am very sorry if you perceived any member of our team to be rude as it would never be our intention to upset or disappoint any of our guests.

Best Wishes,
Damien O'Riordan

Reviewed October 17, 2010

Stayed here with my partner as we got a great online deal and had heard wonderful things about the G hotel. When we checked in there was no one on Concierge to assist with our luggage- this was ok as we only had small weekend bags but not standard for 5 star hotels I am assuming? Reception could not find our online booking and didnt put my mind at rest over being charged twice as on completion of my booking the site said my card would be charged- it turns out it wasnt. The room was ok- big stain on the carpet in the room and overall not too impressed. I did get a great deal on the room so I overlooked all these things but wont be back.

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled as a couple
3  Thank travelchic1010
Reviewed October 11, 2010

This was one of the last hotels we stayed in during our 9 day tour of Ireland. It's a fun and funky modern hotel. The rooms were large and clean and the food at the hotel was great.

• Stayed: March 2010, traveled with family
Reviewed October 11, 2010

I stayed at The G with a group of girl friends last Saturday night. From the moment we arrived we had a wonderful time, surroundings were so luxurious, staff were so helpful and welcoming, food and cocktails were amazing, everything was first class. Can't wait to go back !!

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled with friends
Reviewed October 9, 2010

We've stayed there with my partner last June for a romantic weekend. We had a good time. The hotel is nice. We had room service and the food was fine. My only concern is that I would have loved more friendly contact from the staff.

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 7, 2010

We recently stayed in this hotel and were very impressed. We were greeted well and speedily dealt with. We were escorted to our room by the receptionist and when she discovered there was a problem with the keys she immediatly up-graded us. Our new room was at the front of the hotel, bigger and brighter (decor was similar) While we were facing a busy road the room was totally sound proff. The bed was very comfortable. All the staff were friendly, effecient and helpful. Breakfast was great, with the usual choices of juice, cereal, fruit, cold meats and fresh baking and we had several options from the cooked section over our stay which was cooked to order and never disappointed. The hotel while not to everyones taste is uniquely designed and provided a relaxing base, a nice 15-20 min walk to the city.

Thank cbt.ie