“Interesting and unique”

the g Hotel & Spa Galway
Ranked #12 of 46 Hotels in Galway
Reviewed June 3, 2007

This hotel is sleek and modern, with an artistic flair. I read about it in a travel magazine and staying there was my main motivation for visiting Galway. I personally found the interior a feast for the eyes and I loved the themed lounges (had great, but expensive, cocktails in the pink lounge). The bedrooms were spotless and we enjoyed baths in the extra-long tubs before retreating to the comfy beds. The cupcakes that they left were a nice touch. The next morning, the breakfast was very good (although the service was a bit slow, as previously mentioned).
All that being said, my husband felt that the hotel was a bit over-the-top and was not entirely comfortable with the eccentric elements of the hotel (like the lime green or bright pink saucer chairs in the dimly-lit purple hallways which were too dark to see down). We only stayed 1 night instead of 2 and transfered over to the House Hotel, which was a little more down to earth and closer to the main strip (Quay Street).
Personally, I enjoyed the G and would have loved to try the spa and the afternoon tea. But the best thing about the hotel was that it brought us to Galway, which is an amazing city that we definitely will try to return to!

Stayed: May 2007
2  Thank DaisyKatt2
Write a ReviewReviews (2,764)

Reviewed May 27, 2007

I had heard a lot of good things about this hotel before i went and i must say that it mostly lived up to the hype.

I was a little put off by the location (busy road and cinema complex) however once inside these negatives were easily forgotten.

Yes it is quite expensive but it is 5* and i would say that the service was up to scratch. I only had a standard room but it was still a good size with a large bed.

The spa was excellent but do book before you go!

2  Thank jammy1020
Reviewed May 10, 2007

Funky hotel, with fabulous decor and friendly service. We stayed for two nights and loved it. The breakfast on the first morning was a little slow but this was soon forgotten about due to the fabulous feel of the place. After arriving home I realised that I had left a belt (my favourite Guess belt!) in my room, I rang them, they located it and posted it to me promptly - nothing was too much trouble!

Stayed: April 2007
Reviewed May 7, 2007

After hearing so much about this hotel, i always wanted to check it out for myself so when it came to getting a gift for my Girlfriend for her birthday, i couldn't resist!

I booked a 2 night package which included bed and breakfast staying in a superior room and dinner for 2 on one of the nights. From the minute we pulled up at the door, we were treated like royalty !

The concierge came straight to the car, i handed over the keys and he looked after parking, luggage etc. Check in took all of 30 seconds and we were then given a small tour of the hotel facilities.

The hotel foyer is made up of a number of spaces, each with a different theme (pink room/ cream room / navy room)and each with different music, so this hotel suits anyones taste which makes it real personal. We were then escorted to our amazing rooms.

The rooms were decorated top to bottom in cream and included all the usual amenities expected in a 5 star hotel like the bathrobes, slippers, endless amounts of bottled water, turn down service and even little iced queen cakes with the 'G' symbol on the top.

On the first night we decided to stay near the hotel so we just went to the Eye cinema situated right next door.

I booked dinner in the hotel restaurant on the second night. This is where main fault was with this hotel. We were escorted to a table which was literally squeezed inbetween 2 other couples and both couples literally stared down our throats the whole meal......was UNBELIEVABLY uncormfortable !!! I would of had a better meal in McDonalds and it wouldnt of cost 180 euro for 2 people (not including drinks) !!
Another problem was when it did come to ordering drinks, the waiter had such broken english that i had to ask for the drink in Spanish after trying to ask for it in english 4 times !! Yes it's the truth !

So my advice dont eat in the restaurant...there is plenty of amazing restaurants in Galway city !

On the upside this is an amazing hotel, i even sent my parents there since, and they really liked it. And the staff( well some of them) are so attentive, polite and caring, and even touches like remembering your name as u meet them is really nice to see.

And the main thing is...my girlfriend loved it !
Hope this helps !

• Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1  Thank eclat50
Reviewed May 7, 2007

Our trip was in April 07, this was our second stay in the G.
What can I say it gets better each time!!
From the moment you arrive and you are met by the concierge who parks the car in the underground carpark.
The rooms are everything you could want from a hotel with a massive super comfortable bed!!
Eat the amazing cupcakes that might not be there right away but will be brought up in the afternoon.
Make use of the turndown service which is very useful if like us you have an afternoon nap!!!! Not only will you come back to classical music and low lighting but your room will have been tidied again!! ( useful for the girls like me who after getting ready in a room for a night out leave it like a hurricane has hit!))
On our first trip we had breakfast in restaurant but on our second trip we order room service both days, definitely worth doing, at no extra cost!!
Remember to take home a pair of the G slippers, I have quite a selection now. Although the hotel is a wee bit out from the town it is a nice ten minute walk or there is a bus stop right outside.
Our number one tip for Galway is the Spanish Arch Hotel on a Thursday night, they have a fantastic 20 piece live band/singers with locals providing excellent entertainment with their professional standard dancing! I'm 26 and I thought it was fantastic!!
We ate lunch in Goya which was lovely after a big breakfast a bowl of soup hit the spot. (Kirwins Lane)
Quay Street restaurant was also lovely (Not the Quays)
ps bring your own champers you can fit the half bottles into the mini fridge with no problems.

1  Thank JillBelfast
Reviewed May 1, 2007

My husband and I stayed in this hotel for one night earlier this year. We were really looking forward to the hotel as it is classed as a 4/5 star hotel and we wanted to stay somewhere a bit special and just chill out.

Our main problems were:-

1. Hotel guests have to pay (approx €25 Euro each) to access the spa area/thermal suite (which includes the pool)
2. Very hard to get appointment with said spa!!
3. As it turned out the thermal suite was very small, with a tiny plunge pool. It was also very dark. Couldn't spend anymore than 20-30 mins before feeling claustrophobic.
4. There is a roof garden that you are only allowed access to if you book a spa treatment (which doesn't include booking the thermal suite)
5. There was a pair of someone else's pajamas hanging in our bathroom that was still there when we checked out despite numerous phone calls to reception (and to the general manager)

All in all its a new, modern, clean hotel but its not worth the money!

• Stayed: February 2007, traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 22, 2007

My husband booked this hotel for my birthday and it was th best hotel ever. All the staff were so friendly and we received a really warm welcome. The hotels decoration was really different and amazing.

Our room was just a standard room, but was clean and very comfortable. The bed was so comfortable and everyhting was done spot on.

I would really recommend this hotel (and I am a fuss pot too!!)

• Stayed: April 2007, traveled as a couple