“Five star Hotel with a home away from home charm”

the g Hotel & Spa Galway
Ranked #11 of 46 Hotels in Galway
Reviewed July 4, 2010

My Husband and I stayed in the G from the 17th to the 20th of June as an end to our honeymoon. (although i had not booked in as being on our honeymoon)

Firstly we commend Mr. O Riordan and his staff for a very memorable end to our honeymoon. From the moment we stepped in the door we knew we were in for a treat. The reception staff were very understanding about our late arrival and booked us in very quickly and put our bags in the room as we enjoyed a quick drink in the bar. On retiring to our room we were met with lovely soft furnishing that if i could i would of brought them home with me. We ate out that night and had one of the best nights sleep in a lovely soft bed. My husband has allergies so the bedding suited him perfectly.

On rising the follow morning we had a beautifully relaxing buffet breakfast at our leisure and we were wished a very nice day by the GM himself. Atter we headed into Galway itself. A lovely walk from the G along the bay that the hotel has as a focal point and its decor is inspired by.
On returning i used the media facilities i was unable to print out my document on ringing the reception desk help arrived in the form the concerige and he sorted the problem quickly.
We bumped into Mr.O'Riordan himself and chatted for a while.On telling him we were on honeymoon he rang reception and moved our bags to one of their exectutive suites and had a bottle of champagne delivered to our room. The suite has a beautiful view of Galway bay at both sun rise and set.

We dined in the restaurant that night both the food and service were out of this world. the staff knowledge of the menu is exellent.My husband had the lamb to begin and Fillet as main course. I opted for the scallops to begin and the veal as mains.We had a dessert to share as our starters and main course filled us. Our spent the rest of the evening relaxing in the lounge area.

On our last morning we sat in the restaurant for breakfast but the same as the other mornings a lovely Buffet.

I have stayed in very few 5* hotel that has babies of three months up to people of eighty years old staying. this hotel is a 5* hotel with the charm of home to it.

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled as a couple
Write a ReviewReviews (2,764)

Reviewed July 3, 2010

My partner and I went to The G to celebrate her birthday, and it was perfect from making the reservation over the phone until we checked out. The entire hotel is beautiful, but doesn't feel stuffy or pretentious.The only reason we gave location 4 out of 5 is because I'm a bit lazy, but it is only a 10 minute walk from the centre of town - it's really great.
The staff were incredibly friendly, but not irritatingly so. We changed our Spa appointment twice as we were being very indecisive, but it was no problem at all. We enjoyed the 'Dinner & a movie' package, and really enjoyed the 2 course dinner & were delighted to have our cinema tickets presented to us before we had even left our table. Nothing was too much trouble for any of the staff, particularly Damien O' Riordan, who we didn't realise is the GM until we had left. He was very friendly and attentive and was always there to help!
In regards to price, we found it very reasonable, make sure to check the special offers on their site - the prices are so reasonable, we actually paid less in The G than in a four star hotel in Killarney we stayed in te following night, and there was absolutely no comparison between the service & acocmodation.
We can't wait to return to The G!

Reviewed July 1, 2010

Ahhhh the G! I want to go back! It is an amazing hotel. The staff are friendly and informative. The hotel is beautifully decorated and appointed. The rooms are comfortable and the beds, ahhh so comfortable.

I really enjoyed my stay. It's a bit away from the center but only about a 15 minute walk. The breakfast is incredible!! I had to force myself to leave the hotel, it has everything, good food and drink, fitness center, business center, wow!!

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled as a couple
dorgalway, General Manager at the g Hotel & Spa Galway, responded to this reviewResponded July 2, 2010

Dear Jahjah01,
Thank you very much for your very positive review and your kind words. I am delighted to read that you enjoyed your experience with us. We hope to see you again in the future and I am glad that you enjoyed your breakfast experience with us. I will ensure that I share your review with the rest of the team here at the g, they will be delighted.

Reviewed July 1, 2010

I stayed here for a friends hen party last january. Admittedly, it was a bit of splurge for most of us but it was worth every penny & more!!!!
After a beautiful breakfast we went back to bed with a selection of chick flicks borrowed from reception. After a second sleep we donned ourself in our robes, and hit the therma...l suite for the afternoon. We ordered cocktails (Rasmopolitans!!!) to our rooms while we were getting ready for another night out......
Overall a very relaxing weekend - most girls came from Tipperary & Dublin, and we didnt even bother to go as far as Eyre Square.
The photos we took are amazing - why wouldnt they be in such a stylishly decorated hotel?
Thanks to all @ The G x x x x

• Stayed: January 2010, traveled with friends

Dear Calimocho,
Thank you very much for your lovely review, it is very much appreciated and I shall ensure that I share it with the rest of the team here at the g. I a delighted that you enjoyed your experience and we hope to see you again in the future. We will make sure we have a Rasmopolitan waiting for you.

Reviewed June 30, 2010

Stayed at the G Hotel for a weekend on the 11th June. Check in time is advertised from 3.00pm and upon arrival at 3.10pm we were told that our room would not be ready until 4.30pm, compensation offered was a cup of tea or coffee not what i would expect for a five star hotel. Rooms are nice, bathroom and shower was lovely, but there is cream carpet in all the rooms which we found strange for a hotel bedroom and we were very conscious of spilling someting on it. Facilities in the room were standard except there were no tea/coffee making facilities and no iron or ironing board to you have to contact accommdation wach time you wanted one. Breakfast was ok nothing special. We didn't use the restaurant as we felt the menu was overpriced. We went the bar for a drink and waited for 10 minutes to be served and then waited another 15 minutes to our drinks. All in all we enjoyed our stay but we did not spend that much time in the hotel as the service did not match our standards. It seems that in a 5 star hotel you are paying for the plush surroundings rather than the service.

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled with friends
1  Thank bestpurser
dorgalway, General Manager at the g Hotel & Spa Galway, responded to this reviewResponded July 1, 2010

Dear bestpusrser,
Thank you for your review, I was sorry to read that you were disappointed with your recent experience with us. I apologise that your room was not ready until 4.30pm and the slow service in our lounge areas this should not have happened and I am sorry that this detracted from your overall experience with us. With relation to tea and coffee making facilities you are correct we do not have them in our room but they are available on request and also with relation to Irons and Ironing boards we deliver them to our guest rooms at a moments notice. With relation to our restaurant being overpriced, we try very hard to ensure that our prices are in line with many local restaurants in the city to ensure that we are giving value to our guests. Thank you very much for your constructiove feedback and I shall ensure that I action the points that you have outlined with the team here. We hope to see you again in the future and please do not hesitate to contact me directly on your next visit to Galway.

Reviewed June 30, 2010

I traveled to the G Hotel for a two night stay with my boyfriend. I was very impressed with the hotel and even though we had arrived too early for check in, they were nice enough allocate us a room within 20 minutes of our arrival.

Our room was a Deluxe King room with an abundance of light and space, and a gorgeous bathroom that had a double rainfall shower and a freestanding bath. The bed was incredibly comfortable and everything right down to the pillows was, in my opinion, perfect.

However, there were just a few things that I felt really fell short. On our second day we had gotten a fresh set of towels when our room was serviced, the bath towel had a hole in it, and the bath mat had a tatty frayed edge I know these may seem like totally insignificant things but when I stayed in The Heritage hotel in Killenard, we had an abundance of clean luxuriously fluffy towels. This just seemed like such easy thing to fix and surely I wasn't the first person to get them, and when a hotel describes themselves as a 5 star I expect better. Its the small details that make the difference.

In addition to that we ordered room service breakfast on our first morning there, and were left without spoons for our cereal. This was no big deal we just rang down and asked that the missing cutlery be brought up. But on the second morning the very same thing happened this time only one set of cutlery was brought even though two breakfasts were ordered. We also weren't given another door hangar for ordering breakfast on the first day but we asked one of the staff we had met in the hallway and were given one then.

Having said all this though when we needed anything the staff were very helpful and plesant. The pianist in the lounge on Saturday was a lovely touch and it was really nice to sit and listen to him as we had a drink. All in all if I knew that the little problems I mentioned would be resolved, I would definately spend many more weekends there in future and hopefully next time get a chance to enjoy some of the treatments in the spa.

Dear Red1988,
Thank you very much for your recent review, I was pleased to read that you enjoyed your experience with us. Thank you very much for your constructive feedback with relation to your towels and also the items missing from your in room dining breakfast on both mornings. This should not have happened and there is no excuse for these issues occuring, I am sorry that these issues detracted from your overall experience with us. I will ensure that I share your feedback with the team and we shall act upon this. I am glad to read that you plan on returning to us in the future, please do not hesitate to contact me directly the next time you come to Galway. Thank you very much for your custom and feedback

Reviewed June 28, 2010

For my birthday went to the g hotel with a group of girls, it was amazing. the hotel is beautiful,the different lounges were great.one very relaxing chilled out, the pink room is perfect for cocktails. Cocktails were tasty, and not too expensive. Very comfortable beds. Only down side is the view. very helpful friendly staff. I've been there with my husband before and have recommended it to alot of friends. Will be going again in September. great breakfast

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled with friends

Dear Furry_007,
Thank you very much for your very kind review. I was delighted to read that you enjoyed your birthday celebration with us. We look forward to welcoming you back to the g in the future.
Thank you very much for your custom.