“Not bad.”

Ranked #13 of 46 Hotels in Galway
Minneapolis, Minnesota
“Not bad.”
Reviewed December 7, 2013 via mobile

I stayed here for work, so I didn't experience the spa or anything else. It has a quirky Alice in wonderland style. I ate dinner there twice and breakfast there three days. The food was great. The rooms were nice. The staff was nice. I paid 100 Euro per night which includes free parking and breakfast. Not a bad value.

Stayed December 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank EVDJ
The g Hotel G, Manager at the g Hotel & Spa Galway, responded to this review, December 12, 2013
Dear Guest,
Thank you for taking the time to share some feedback from your recent stay at the g. It was lovely to read how much you enjoyed our menu offerings in Restaurant Gigi’s and in our Signature Lounges. Our team were delighted to be mentioned in your review. We were all pleased that you found the hotel to be good value for money and that you enjoyed the added benefits of complimentary Wi-Fi and overnight parking for all residents.
We hope that you will stay with us the next time you are in Galway and that you find time to visit our award winning Spa, ESPA at the g.
The g Hotel Management Team

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (381)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed December 2, 2013

I stayed at The G hotel with my husband as a birthday treat over the midterm break. We arrived later than expected on the 1st night of our stay so decided to have a bite of food in the hotel...the food was certainly not 5 star quality..it was cold!! So a very disappointing start to what I thought would have been an amazing treat. Anyhow upon waking up on our first morning I woke to find a massive bite on my face!! I didn't really think much of it to be honest as we had gone to the cinema that evening and I just thought I had gotten bitten by a fly on the walk to and from there, so we went down and had breakfast...disappointing to say the least and I love a good old Irish fry up!! Upon waking on the 2nd day I woke up to find more bites on my chest, again not trying to think to much of it, i was trying not to think that it might be something more sinister... and also as this was a birthday treat I didn't want to complain!! On our last morning I woke up to lots of bites on my arms!!! When we went down to check out I mentioned and showed the bites to the receptionist who rang the accommodation manager to come and have a talk to me, I showed her the bites and all she said was that it was obviously something I ate!!! This was not the case as I didn't eat anything out of the ordinary and these are bites not a rash (which is what I would have expected had I ate anything unusual)!! She proceeded to leave me standing in reception and came back about 10 minutes later with a certificate showing me how the hotel clean the mattresses!! I found the way that I was dealt with an absolute disgrace, I was left standing in reception discussing these bites with the accommodation manger who insisted that it was something I ate, to which I kept telling her I ate nothing out of the ordinary, I showed her all the bites!! We checked in on the 29th Oct and checked out on 1st Nov., it is now the 2nd December and these bites have only just gone having been to the doctor 4 times!! I am not one to normally complain but I did not expect this from a 5 star hotel and I especially did not appreciate being told that it was something I ate....when it wasn't!!! I have to say I left the G hotel very disappointed and I cant believe that this is the way they treat their guests...overall the stay wasn't what was expected from the cold food to the stale pancakes at breakfast and most of all to the fact that I got covered in BITES!!

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
8 Thank S S
The g Hotel G, Manager at the g Hotel & Spa Galway, responded to this review, May 29, 2014
Dear Guest,
It was very disappointing the read the review that you wrote on Trip Advisor. Our creative menu offerings receive constant praise so it was of course upsetting to read that you did not enjoy your meal.
In relation to the bites that you experienced, we have never had an incident like this happen before. Christine, our Accommodation Manager did meet with you and explain how seriously we took your situation. We regularly sanitise our mattresses and have a year round program to ensure that the highest standards of hygiene are maintained in the g and in our bedrooms and bathrooms in particular. As your partner did not have any symptoms nor the previous and future guests, Christine was attempting to identify what the problem was.
We appreciate your feedback and we hope that you have a quick recovery. However we can assure you that the issues you encountered were of no fault of the hotel.
Dublin
Reviewed December 2, 2013

Surely this is a 4 star?

Yes the decor is funky- but there are stains on almost every seat and couch in the place..it's like as if the initial kit out cost a lot, but they havent spent a penny on the upkeep.. but more than that, the service is appalling. Slow and borderline surly.

We had breakfast from 1030-11.55, then at 12:00 (on the dot) went up to our rooms to get our bags to check out.
Key cards disabled- no major biggie, pretty standard lots of places, although proper 5 star hotels will wait until you've checked out and disable the key then.

So i go down to reception, literally 12:02 now at this stage.

Me: Hi, locked out of my room, key already disabled, if you could just let me back in to get my bags, thanks.
Reception (short girl with glasses): yes that's right, the key is already defunct, check out is 12:00.
Me: Yeah i know, but usually 10 mins grace is allowed.
G: Well, our computer system automatically disables the cards at 12:00
Me: fair enough but 10 mins grace mightn't be a bad idea, just to save everyone the hassle!
G: No but that's not the point, our computers automatically do it!!
Me: Well then perhaps they should be scheduled to do it at 12:10 instead!!
G: BUT YOU HAVE TO CHECK OUT AT MIDDAY!!!
Me: OMG have you never heard the saying 'the customer is always right?? Just let me back into the room so that i CAN get my bags to check out''

This is the kind of thing you'd expect at a Travelodge. Whatever about her logic about checkout being midday, the way she delivered it was nothing short of rude. It has left such an awful taste in my mouth. I separately emailed the hotel about it and their response was satisfactory (apparently they do have 'grace' of 30 mins but it was negated after the clocks went back, although if their logic rings true then the cards would be disabled at 11.30!)- but the damage has been done either way.

The location is awful, the rooms are average, the staff and service simply NOT 5 star standard. Stay in the Radisson instead, I love it there- right beside the train station, they have a fantastic resident piano man and the staff are always so friendly

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with friends
7 Thank WonkaBilly
The g Hotel G, Manager at the g Hotel & Spa Galway, responded to this review, June 2, 2014
Dear Guest,
We were all greatly upset to read the review that you posted twice on Tripadvisor. Our Front of House Manager, Niall was in contact with you in relation to your first review and as a team we had hoped that we had resolved your issues.
All of our team are highly trained and this situation is extremely frustrating for us all to read. We can assure you that no member of our team would speak to a guest in this manner. In relation to your comments about the upkeep of the hotel, we have a rolling maintenance program in place so it was very much untrue that we have not invested in the property since its opening eight years ago.
Lastly in relation to entertainment within the hotel, we have a Jazz session every Friday and Saturday night and a Jazz Brunch on the first Sunday of every month. We also have a Pianist in the Grand Salon every Saturday and Sunday afternoon.
We hope that we have addressed your concerns.
Miami, Florida
Reviewed December 1, 2013

The G Hotel in Galway was our second stop in Ireland. We arrived after a less than 3 hour drive from County Wicklow (just south of Dublin). The G is interestingly located in a mini-mall type complex, but once you are inside, you forget that aspect. The G is very modern, resembling the hotels you would expect to find in the South Beach or Brickell areas of Miami, Florida. Check in was a breeze although the setting sun showers the lobby with an almost blinding light. We were shown several open rooms just off the lobby to relax and have tea. Each of these rooms is brightly colored and appointed with furniture in what seemed like a scene out of Alice in Wonderland.
The hallways leading up to the rooms are very dark and the soft carpet made it a bit difficult to roll the luggage. In a stark contrast to the hallways, the rooms are very well lit with high ceilings opening the room further. Similar to the lobby area, the furniture is very modern and the bed sits lower than normal beds as a result.
Breakfast was included with the room for each day and consisted of both a continental spread as well as an a la carte menu. The food quality and wait staff were both above par.
Neil, front desk attendant, was very helpful and made great suggestions for dinner and our daily self-guided excursions. Not the type of hotel I expected in Ireland because of its modern décor, but very nice and would recommend it as long as you are ok with this style.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank javione
The g Hotel G, Manager at the g Hotel & Spa Galway, responded to this review, December 4, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for choosing to stay with us at the g during your recent visit to Ireland. We were delighted to read that you enjoyed the unique décor and ambiance of our Philip Treacy designed hotel. It was lovely to read that you enjoyed our menu offerings and that you found the quality of our food and service to be of a high standard. The entire team were so pleased to read how much you enjoyed your time with us and that you found time to explore our local attractions. We hope that you will stay with us the next time you are visiting Ireland.

Reviewed December 1, 2013 via mobile

Firstly we arrived to the hotel and we offered to pay full in cash and the receptionist charged us a certain price. Our package included an evening three course meal and entrance to the spa. I didn't like any of the starters and my partners ordered the crab meat which was not particularly nice. My main course was not appealing and I did not eat it and had no appetite for any dessert. For breakfast I ordered the small Irish breakfast (eggs well done) and clearly specified same. My eggs were runny and I was turned off my entire breakfast. On checking out, they added an extra 200 euro to our stay. They did not come to any agreement and we were made pay in full. They said they'd investigate further and come back to us and i am still waiting for the call. Will not recommend the G hotel. However, our room and the decor was impressive but overall stay will not entice me to return.

Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
9 Thank Claire D
Dear Guest,

We were all greatly upset to read the review you emailed to us here in the hotel and the review which you posted on Trip Advisor. We have responded by email but we would also like to address some of the feedback you have shared here.
Firstly, we ask all guests for a swipe of a credit card upon check in to take a pre-authorisation. As you did not want to do this we asked for a cash payment. Unfortunately our front desk agent miscalculated the total cost of your stay. However we had confirmed the room rate with you over the phone, on your registration card and at check in also. At check out you mentioned that you thought this miscalculation was a discount. Unfortunately this was certainly not the case. As explained we never added an additional €200, we just charged you the agreed rate that you had booked. As this was a special occasion for you we did upgrade you to a Luxury bedroom for two nights with our compliments.
It was also very upsetting for us to read your comments regarding our menu offerings which were not to your liking. We asked you at checkout if you enjoyed your stay and you brought none of the above to our attention. Had you made us aware of these concerns we may have been in a better position to have rectified them during your stay with us.

Reviewed November 29, 2013

Our second time staying here and it did not disappoint. The perfect place to stay for a luxurious romantic getaway.

It is abit pricer than other city centre hotels, but worth the extra expense! Lovely at this time of year with the huge christmas tree in the main lounge. Can't wait to go back

• Stayed November 2013
1 Thank LauraJaneM86
Dear Guest,
Thank you for taking the time to share such wonderful feedback from your visit to the g on Trip Advisor. We were so pleased to read that this was your second visit to us and that you found the g to be an ideal base for a romantic breakaway. It was so lovely to read that you enjoyed our Christmas decorations throughout the hotel. We are looking forward to welcoming you back to us again very soon.
Galway, Ireland
Reviewed November 27, 2013

Just back from a lovely break in the beautiful Galway! Such a pity to what I expected a luxury weekend was disappointing-arrived to a hotel after 3 phone calls later to the hotel the girl on the desk was new & didn't know the directions! Check in was fast & friendly, decor fab! Room was basic I couldn't believe it not a separate bath, was so looking forward to one after all the fab pictures online...so many 3/4 star hotels always have a separate bath & shower!

Bathrobes/curtains had holes in them, staff member barging in on our first morning sleep in!!!

Dust everywhere.

Breakfast was amazing food was fantastic-

No pool :( just a spa!

Bar staff lovely- taxi to town between €10-12 one way!! eekks

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
4 Thank mags2012
The g Hotel G, Manager at the g Hotel & Spa Galway, responded to this review, November 29, 2013
Dear Guest,
Thank you for sharing some feedback from your recent visit at the g on Trip Advisor and for emailing us at the hotel also. Naturally we were all upset to read that you were disappointed with certain aspects of your stay. In relation to your comments about directions we have recently had some new team members join the hotel. However you were then connected to our Concierge team who were able to direct you to the hotel. Our Superior or entry level bedrooms have a combined bath and shower. All of our other bedroom categories feature separate bath and showers, Luxury Rooms and Junior Suites have a separate free standing bath and double walk-in shower. We really do regret that none of the issues which you mention in your review were made known to us during your stay. We would have been able to have rectified any concerns that you had. Our Front of House Manager, Niall, has responded to your email and we hope that your issues have been resolved.