“Can't wait to go back!”

Ranked #14 of 46 Hotels in Galway
Cork, Ireland
“Can't wait to go back!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 23, 2013

Decided to go the G-Hotel after "roughing-it" in B&B's along the west coast of Ireland as a treat! I read some bad reviews on this so wasn't too sure what to expect when I walked in!

I must say that the receptionist was really lovely and chatty and down-to-earth. Breakfast staff the following morning were equally as nice!

I can see why some people may not like the decor of the hotel, but each to their own! I thought it was funky and really liked it. The really dark corridors contrast nicely with how white and bright the bed-rooms are! Each part of the hotel looks different to the other which I thought was kind of cool - quirky items everywhere which I like!

The room itself was spectacular and we were greeted with two lovely iced buns! Bathroom was lovely and the "do-not-disturb' button inside the door was something I hadn't seen before. The bed was unbelievable! In fact, I actually noted the make of the quilt and pillows so I can purchase my own - it was like sleeping in a marshmallow on a cloud!!!!

I can also see why people might not be crazy about the location, but if you look it up before you then you know it's not bang in the centre and it is in bit of an industrial estate, but it's a city hotel, which is what it's advertised as anyway.

Will definitely return!!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
The g Hotel G, Manager at the g Hotel & Spa Galway, responded to this review, August 27, 2013
Dear Guest,
Thank you so much for posting a five star review of your recent trip to the g on Trip Advisor. It was lovely to read that our Front of House and breakfast team were welcoming upon your arrival.
It was also lovely to read how much you enjoyed the décor of our Philip Treacy designed hotel. Our arrival g cupcakes are one of the little touches that make staying in the g so special. Our beds also receive constant praise on Trip Advisor and we really were delighted that all of the features of the hotel made your time with us so memorable.

We really appreciate your time, custom and loyalty to the g. We are all looking forward to welcoming you back to the g again soon.

Kindest Regards,
The g Hotel Management Team

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (369)
Dublin, Dublin, Ireland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 22, 2013

my wife and i spent 2 days , midweek in the g to celebrate my wifes birthday .(we are a retired couple.)

from arrival to departure we had an excellent experience . we were upgraded on arrival .they were unaware of the occasion . warmth ,friendlyness, professionalism was the order of the day. the room was excellent . the lounges very warm and comfortable with excellent waiter service.. we ate in gigis twice . the food was excellent . very well presented by very friendly and professional staff. the menu was well balanced complimented by a very good wine list.
we really enjoyed the experience and strongly recommended the g to our family and friend on our return home . a return visit is certainly a must later in the year .the g is certainly five star.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest,

Thank you so very much for choosing to celebrate your birthday with us at the g. We were all delighted to read that you had an excellent g experience. It was so rewarding for the entire team to read about the warmth, friendliness and professionalism that you mention. Our food and beverage team were especially pleased to read about your dining experiences in Restaurant Gigi’s.
Thank you for recommending the hotel to your friends and family. We are all looking forward to welcoming you back again soon.

Denver, Colorado
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 22, 2013

We enjoyed our stay here. The service was spectacular and the bed was comfortable. However, the furnishings, lighting, etc will be dated in no time and the cream carpting in the room was a bad move as there was staining. I didn't get the feeling that it was unclean and I allowed my baby to crawl around the room and the lounge. The food from the restaurant was delicious and the breakfast was pretty good. Although we were welcomed by the staff, the other patrons weren't too keen on my fussy baby. So I would recommend this place for bachelorett parties, not for families.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review of your recent visit to the g on Trip Advisor. It was fantastic to read that you found the service to be spectacular and our beds to be comfortable. In relation to your comments about the hotel beginning to date, we have a long term maintenance program within the hotel and over the last few months we have invested heavily. We have opened our new event suite and will continue to re-invest in the lounge areas of the hotel in the coming months.
Lastly we are very family friendly here in the g so we were disappointed to read that you felt otherwise from the other patrons of the hotel. Please do let us know if you are thinking about returning to Galway so we can go through our options available to families in the g.

New York City, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 22, 2013

We enjoyed our stay in the G hotel, I was pleased with the layout of the room, and the bathroom. However, there were stains on the carpet and I think I would have been happier if I didn't have to see it every time, I walked in or out of the room. The staff was friendly and accommodating, and we liked the fact that there was parking on location for no charge. Though, it was odd that the parking is part of the shopping center, but it was nice that it was below ground and the elevators brought you right to your floor.
I liked the different sitting rooms- almost like each room had a different personality. The decor all around was interesting, I just think it would benefit them to focus on the rooms that needed some fixing up.
This location is slightly outside of city-center so you may need a cab after dinner or a few drinks... we walked earlier in the day but it was far too much to do after indulging in the evening.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest,

Thank you so very much for sharing your wonderful experience at the g on Trip Advisor. We were delighted to read that the layout of our bedrooms worked well for you. We have shared your feedback regarding the carpet in your bedroom with our Accommodation Manger, Christine, for her to look into. It was also lovely for us to read that you found our team to be friendly and accommodating.
Lastly we are constantly re-investing in the hotel. We have recently launched our new event suite and we will be continuing to re-invest in our lounge areas in the coming months.
Thank you once again for your five star review. We greatly hope that we get the opportunity to welcome you back to the g again soon.

Kindest Regards,
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 20, 2013

We visited the g hotel for a birthday celebration. We booked the 2 night package with breakfast and dinner on one evening. It's a hotel we always wanted to visit so went for it. We are a couple in are mid 20s. The reason I'm writing this review is because I paid a lot of money to stay there and it angers me the more I think about it.
We wer very disappointed with our experience. The biggest problem we found was that the hotel was simply not clean everywhere we sat we could see dirt and dust .
Rooms - on arrival they looked grubby and dirty .
-carpet is cream which in my opinion is asking for trouble, stains and marks visible on it.
-Curtains where dirty
-Coffee table had visible marks in it, looked like it had Been giving a quick wipe but not cleaned to an acceptable standard!

Cocktail bar- first impression looked nice. Opinion changed very quickly though when we went to sit down.
-glass tables where not clean,we had to ask the waiter to come clean them.
-From Where we were sitting it was it was evident that the place had not been cleaned, dust and dirt at the window beside the bar and the seats themselves where dust catchers they showed up exactly how dirty they where.

Dining room
-Again it all looked nice wen entering with the quirky decor but 2 minutes in to it and the same story the amount if dirt and dust was astonishing ! The seats again where dirty (the big purple ones). Its really not acceptable.
-There was a mirrored unit in the restaurant that looked like it had never Been cleaned ,it was embarrassing!
-Food was ok I have had nicer
-Breakfast was nice can't fault it.

-Staff
The staff where friendly and welcoming but attention to detail of their work was disappointing .

Overall all the experience was very disappointing. There was nothing 5star about our stay there they couldn't master the basics which at the end of the day speaks volumes . For the amount of money I paid I was expecting a hell of a lot more .

• Stayed July 2013
7 Thank Occ11
The g Hotel G, Manager at the g Hotel & Spa Galway, responded to this review, August 23, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to post a review of your recent visit to the g on Trip Advisor. Naturally we were all very disappointed to read your feedback. Our accommodation team here in the g take enormous pride in the level of service they provide. This made it very upsetting to read your comments about our bedrooms and signature lounges. Each outlet in the hotel is cleaned numerous times throughout the day and it is then checked by a Supervisor.
We really do wish that you had mentioned these concerns to one of our Duty Managers. However we can assure you that we take enormous pride in the level of attention to detail we provide here in the g and these comments will be looked into further.
If you wish to discuss your review in more detail please contact our Front of House Manager, Niall Kelly, on nkelly@theg.ie.

Belfast, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 20, 2013

My wife and I wanted good accomadation , good service and good food . We got all that and more as well as a room upgrade when we checked in . The staff gave excellent service and had a "nothing was too much trouble" attitude , which is hard to find these days . I definitley will not be staying anywhere else in Galway ,what a treat !

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank jeff m
Dear Guest,

We were absolutely delighted to read that your experience at the g exceeded both you and your wife’s expectations. It was so rewarding for us all to read your comments about our food, service and bedrooms.
We are all looking forward to welcoming you back to the g again soon. Please let us know if there is anything we can do to ensure your next stay is as memorable an occasion.

Antrim, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 20, 2013 via mobile

We stayed in the G for 3 nights in August. It was our second visit and have stayed in 3 other hotels in Galway. The G is wonderful. In my view any negative comments on here simply do not get the ambiance and are not used to luxury hotels. The dark corridors to the rooms are not a negative they simply add to the feel of luxury and something different. Decor beautiful throughout. Staff very friendly, attentive and go the extra mile. Housekeeping especially!! The concierge very knowledgable, I know tats there job but still some hotels can't get that right. We availed of the valet parking and with a charge of 10 euro for your entire stay is well worth it.

Only two negatives the whole stay was breakfast on Sunday morning the service was not as good as the other mornings. Obviously the were very busy but we only used the buffet as no one came to take our cooked order. Also on Friday night a very noisy Hen party staying in room next door shouting and trying to get into our room at 3am. I ave stayed in other 5 star and lesser hotels that have a no stag or hen policy, also saw this in several of the pubs in Galway. Not sure how hotel would police this but something to consider. As this was not really the hotels fault as they can't account for rowdy guests overall it did not take away from our long weekend.

Food in Gigis was excellent and compliments to staff and chefs very good! Manager could do with less colicky shoes!!

We will definitely go back and thanks to everyone at the G!

Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
Dear Guest,

Thank you so very much for choosing to stay with us at the g for three nights in August. We were delighted to read that this was your second visit to the g. It was lovely to read how much you enjoyed our Philip Treacy designed hotel. We have shared your amazing feedback regarding our ladies and gentlemen working in the g with the full team. Everyone was so delighted to be mentioned in your review.
We have passed your feedback regarding breakfast onto our Food & Beverage Manager, Sharon Waldron, for her to investigate further. Please also accept our apologies for the noise disturbance.
We are all looking forward to welcoming you back to the g again soon. Please let us know if there is anything we can do to make your next stay more enjoyable.

Best Wishes,