“Celtic Tiger at its best”

the g Hotel & Spa Galway
Ranked #12 of 46 Hotels in Galway
Reviewed February 28, 2013

After a recent mid-week 2 night break, my partner and I found the following disasters with this non boutique style hotel:

LOCATION: We're not from Galway so we do not know Moneenageisha Road.
We tried the hotel website and Google Maps thinking that surely they would have directions on there. They didn't.

When we got on Moneenageisha Rd we drove by the hotel cause we thought it was a shopping centre.

Its location on a busy main road surprised us also but not as much as what we saw behind the hotel..Woodies, Pet Mania, Homebase and more! Where was the hotel private car park or even the hotel gardens and nice entrance? Seriously, you are completely chancing it with such a terrible location.

Also, it might also be an idea to inform your guests that the carpark is complimentary.

ROOM:
Freezing and standard. We were on the 2nd floor with a view of a wall covered in a weed like creeper.

Air con was a nightmare to work and so loud. At 5am I couldn't sleep any longer with the noise of it so eventually on my 3rd attempt turned it off but only to have the air con from other rooms keep us awake.

Furniture was fine but not sufficient for a 5*. Nothing individual about it. A visit to The Morgan hotel in Dublin will give you an idea of on-trend stylish furnishings.

Also, can you please communicate with room service who do the 'towel checks' in the afternoons to not brazenly let themselves into our room when we are there? We told her no thank you but she couldn't understand us.

GIGI RESTAURANT:
Food was a 6/10 but service was ghastly. The male waiter had very poor English and couldn't understand what 'can I have some more water please' meant. As I am pregnant, I am constantly thirsty and need it so as not to get sick. Twice I asked him and he ignored me. I then asked what seemed like a restaurant manager. She was Irish but she too ignored me! After that it was obvious that these people want diners, having pre paid for meals, to be ordering alcoholic beverages that aren't part of the 2 night package deal. The first menu shoved in our faces before we were even seated was the wine list. Note to staff: at least let your guest seat down first.

SPA
Overpriced treatments. Booked 2 appointments for us both but the therapist didn't realize this. Thankfully there was a second therapist free at that time.

When it came to paying, the receptionist asked if I wanted to leave a tip and if so press 'yes' on the machine. I did but then she asked openly for how much?! Why this procedure? You know the norm is for the customer to key in their chosen amount themselves. Surely there's enough scamming going on already?

The 'relaxation room'....are you for real? A few loungers facing a few bushes and pebbles is not relaxation.

CHECK-OUT
Correct me if I'm wrong but check-out time is 12:00 right? Why would the cleaners be knocking on our door at 11:45 if this is the case? We felt rushed to vacant our room. Again not good enough. For what you charge for such a mess of a hotel, take into consideration the correct check-up time.

4  Thank DublinMika
The g Hotel G, Manager at the g Hotel & Spa Galway, responded to this reviewResponded March 8, 2013

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review of your recent stay on Trip Advisor. I was hugely disappointed to read your review and would like to go through the points that you have raised.

Directions: There is a section on the hotel website that clearly provides directions to the hotel and if you booked direct with the hotel these directions were also included on your confirmation. We have provided directions for our guests travelling from Dublin, Limerick, Cork, The Northwest, Castlebar as well as Galway, Knock and Shannon Airports. Google Maps also provides clear details on how to access the hotel from all major routes. The hotel is adjacent to the Wellpark retail outlet; however we provide complimentary car parking facilities. This is clearly detailed in the confirmation letter our reservation team sent you. The hotel provides a valet parking service as well as a self park option. There is an underground car park signposted as “g self park” for guests who wish to avail of this complimentary option.

Bedroom: I was upset to read you were disappointed by the standard of our bedrooms and that the air conditioning was not functioning properly. I wish that you had brought this to our immediate attention as we would have been only too happy to have offered you an alternative new bedroom or had our maintenance team rectify the problem.

Gigi’s Restaurant: I was also disappointed to read you were not impressed with our award winning restaurant. We take enormous pride in the level of service we provide in Gigi’s Restaurant and I was upset to read that you were not impressed with your dining experience. I will share the details with our Food and Beverage Manager, Sharon Waldron, and I will be informing her of the issues you have mentioned.

Espa at the g: I would like to apologise that your reservation for the Spa was incorrect and I will follow up with our Spa Manager, Emma Thabethe, to identify the reason for this. We will also be reviewing the payment procedure in the Spa regarding leaving a gratuity for the Therapist after your feedback.
I would also like to apologise for the fact that you were interrupted before check out time. This is an error on our behalf and I will also follow up with our accommodation department with your valid feedback.

Overall, we were very disappointed to read your review; however if any of these issues were brought to our attention earlier during your stay we would have in a better position to have them rectified. We have a Manager on Duty 24 hours a day here at the g so we would have appreciated your comments at an earlier stage. We are always keen to gather as much feedback from our guests so thank you for your review, I hope I have addressed all of the issues raised.

The g Hotel Management Team

Write a ReviewReviews (2,764)

Reviewed February 27, 2013

We received a very warm welcome on arrival.
Service was brilliant.nothing was a problem.anything we asked for we got.
A little expensive but it is a five star hotel afterall.would highly recommend A++++

• Stayed: February 2013
Review collected in partnership with clever-hotels.com
The g Hotel G, Manager at the g Hotel & Spa Galway, responded to this reviewResponded February 28, 2013

Dear Guest,

On behalf of the entire team here at the g, I would like to thank you for posting such an amazing review on Trip Advisor. Your fantastic comments regarding our warm welcome on arrival, excellent service and our attention to detail are greatly appreciated. We take enormous pride in the level of service we provide here at the g, and your review is a massive source of motivation for us all here at the hotel.

Once again thank you for such an excellent review. We all look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel again soon.

Reviewed February 26, 2013

I just returned from staying at the plush G hotel. Wow. Just wow. SO amazing. To address the only conceivable downside to this hotel first, it IS on the outskirts of town and a bit out of the way. If you don't like walking or hiking a mile into town, you'll find yourself spending a decent penny on cab fare to get there and back.

That said, did I mention WOW? We stayed in a Junior Suite, which was absurdly comfortable, cozy and clean. The fireplace was lovely. The bed was beyond comfortable. The 2 person rain shower was phenomenal. It was possibly the quietest hotel I've ever stayed in.

The decorum is very upbeat, contemporary and fascinating to look at, all over the hotel.

The breakfast buffet is well stocked and full of a wide variety of treats from pastries to yogurt to fruits to meats and eggs. All the better: It was included in our room rate.

The spa was incredibly comfortable and inviting. I spent an hour in the thermal suite (only 10 euro) and got to enjoy the large, jetted thermal pool (a large, less boiling version of a jacuzzi), the steam room, scented steam showers and sauna.

Lastly, the best part of the entire hotel was the staff. Never in my many travels have I encountered staff that was so warm, friendly and accommodating. My god. From our arrival (the concierge picked us up from the train station in his A8 with heated seats and bottled water waiting for us inside) to our departure (they had sack breakfast with pastries, fruits and coffees waiting for us in the lobby along with a cab to take us to the train station), I could not have asked for more. None of this was extra. Anything and everything we could have ever needed was there when we called down (towels, blankets, water, ice, someone to light our fireplace), and when we tried offering tips, we were generally refused.

If I ever return to Galway, I will not hesitate to stay here again and again. You should too.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled with family
The g Hotel G, Manager at the g Hotel & Spa Galway, responded to this reviewResponded February 27, 2013

Dear Guest,

I was so pleased to read the review you posted on Trip Advisor of your recent stay at The g.

Firstly, Thank you for deciding to stay with us here at the g whilst visiting Galway. Our Junior Suites are proving immensely popular at the moment, and I was so pleased to read that you enjoyed your time in one of them. Your comments about our breakfast buffet are amazing and I will be sharing these with the entire Food and Beverage team. I was pleased that you found time to visit our Spa, ESPA at the g.

We are so honored here at the hotel to read your fantastic review. We are always keen to receive as much feedback here at the hotel as possible, and your review is greatly appreciated by the entire team here.

Once again thank you for such an excellent review. We all hope that you will stay with us the next time you are visiting Galway. Please contact us directly at the hotel to help ensure your next stay is as amazing as the last.

Reviewed February 26, 2013

From check-in to check-out this hotel lived up to it's 5 star name. The staff are all so friendly and good craic, the ESPA was incredible, relaxing, great value for money and stunning. Breakfast was so lovely and there was such a selection, dinner in gigi's restaurant was amazing. The rooms - we were upgraded to a Junior suite on arrival, I have never seen such a nice room. The cocktail bar is a must, the pink room too. I honestly cannot wait to get back to this hotel!! Thank you to all at The g Hotel.

Room Tip: I would have liked a front facing room, rear was overlooking the car park.

Dear Guest,

On behalf of the entire team here at the g, I would like to thank you for posting such an amazing review of your recent stay on Trip Advisor. I was delighted to read that you found our team to be warm and friendly. I will be sharing your kind comments about our Spa, ESPA at The g, onto the entire ESPA team. I was so pleased to read that you enjoyed the comfort of our Junior Suites. All of our Junior Suites benefit from views over Lough Atalia.

Once again thank you so very much for taking the time to write a review of your recent stay at the g. Your review is greatly appreciated and a massive source of motivation to us all here at the g. We are all looking forward to welcoming you back soon, and please let us know if there is anything we can do in order to make your next stay as memorable.

Best Wishes,

Reviewed February 26, 2013

I stayed here with my other half for one night recently as it was our anniversary. We'd stayed here before and have always enjoyed it. However this time I noticed that the rooms are starting to get shabby. There were lots of stains on the carpets and everything wasnt as shiney as before!
We had a lovely meal in the dining room and the staff were very friendly and helpful. However the bar staff are very very slow. We ordered a drink in one of the lounge areas after dinner and it took at least ten minutes for someone to take our order and about another ten minutes for the drinks to arrive. We have found this before on previous occasions and had hoped it would have improved.
The breakfast next morning was lovely and we probably will stay here again, however it is a bit pricey and I'd look at other hotels first.

Room Tip: We had room 219, it was smaller than the room we had last time and the carpet was quite grubby.

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review of your recent stay at the g. I was delighted to read that this was your second stay with us here at the hotel. I was disappointed to read that you felt that your bedroom was beginning to show its age. We do have a scheduled maintenance program taking place here within the hotel and we are committed to improving the areas that you have mentioned in your review.

I will be passing your comments about the speed of service in the bar to our Food and Beverage Manager, Sharon, for her to look into, I was pleased to read that you enjoyed your experience in the Restaurant though.

I would like to thank you for your review, we are always keen to gather as much guest feedback as possible here at the hotel. Your comments are noted and will be shared with the rest of the management team here at the hotel as we are committed to not only meeting our guests expectations, but exceeding them too. I hope that we get the opportunity to welcome you back to the hotel again soon, and I hope that you will notice a considerable improvement in our service quality upon your next stay.

Yours Sincerely,

Reviewed February 25, 2013

Stayed here for a hen weekend with 21 other ladies. The hotel is boutique style and very girly. Staff are friendly and the whole experience was brilliant. The service, staff and food are definitely 5 star. It is geared towards groups of people and cater really well for afternoon tea, dinner etc. The concierge was so helpful with our requests and only too happy to recommend good bars etc in Galway for a night out. There is a very relaxed atmosphere in the hotel and if you intend staying then ensure you dress up for dinning.
The rooms were lovely (although I have stayed in 4 star rooms which were nicer) very quite. 20 minutes will walk you into the town center. Definitely somewhere you would go with your girlfriends. Color theme pink, purple and silver.

Room Tip: There are only 2 floors of bedrooms. All rooms we were allocated were lovely, if you want lots of s...
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled with friends

Dear Guest,

On behalf of the entire team here at The g, I would like to thank you for taking the time to write such a fantastic review of your recent stay. I was delighted to read that you felt the team were friendly and the service was of a 5 star standard. I will be passing your kind comments on to everyone here at the hotel, but especially to our Concierge team whom you have mentioned. Lastly I was pleased to read that you and your friends were so well looked after, and that you thoroughly enjoyed your trip to the g, and Galway.

Your kind comments are appreciated by us all here at the g and we all look forward to welcoming back again soon!

Best Wishes,

Reviewed February 24, 2013

Stayed the middle weekend of January as a couple. Made a last minute decision to spend the weekend in Galway and had enough recommendations from friends to make The G the obvious choice.

Positives:
- Beautiful, relaxing and spacious room (even without a view)
- Friendly and helpful staff
- Impressive main lounge room

Negatives:
- Paying for the spa as a resident (only way to use a 'pool')
- Cramped and overbearing breakfast room with brash decor (plus view over a main road)
- Distance from town (too far to walk more than once a day)

On balance, this is 4 out of 5 as a hotel, but only 3 as a 'luxury' hotel. We'll certainly be looking at other options next time we visit Galway (which is very much worth a weekend away).

Stayed: January 2013
1  Thank UKOzEire

Dear Guest,

Thank you for deciding to stay with us at the g in January. I was delighted to read that you were impressed with the standard of our bedrooms, as well as our signature lounges. Most importantly though I was pleased to read you were impressed with our friendly and helpful team.

However, I was upset to read that you were disappointed with certain aspects of your stay. We are a dedicated team here at the g so I would like to go through the points you have mentioned in your review. In relation to our Thermal Suite, there is a charge to avail of this treatment, however if you book a 55 minute treatment or more the Thermal Suite is complimentary. I was also disappointed to read you were not impressed with the décor of Gigi’s Restaurant. On a Sunday morning the restaurant can be very busy, however we always monitor this in order to provide a high level of service. Lastly the hotel is situated outside Galway city centre, however it is no more than a fifteen minute walk into the city centre or else a short taxi journey.

Overall, I was pleased to read that you did enjoy your stay, and I would like to thank you once again for taking the time to write a review. We take our guests comments very seriously here at the hotel.

I hope we get the opportunity to welcome you back to the g Hotel again in the not too distant future.